Page 129 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1312

Thread: Unit Pictures

Default Re: Unit Pictures

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...g=eyJpIjoidCJ9
    Fuck Off already Glados, this is so much better looking

Can't understand why terran ghosts uses this "spreaded legs" position while sniping on open field instead of lie down and don't be a freaking blinking target for their enemies... Not that i disappointed by Nova btw ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

I've been really busy and not had time to draw lately. I do have a tiny bit more work to show on the 3D side of things. But understand that it's 3D work that I'm going to slowly chip away at over the course of months, like the first time I made that SC1 battlecruiser model.

Here's where the hyperion bridge is meant to go on the exterior model:

Here are a couple of editor screenshots of the hyperion bridge interior set. It's basically a giant octagon, with the side faces having hallway/elevator doors sticking into the middle of them.

The exterior model doesn't match the interior. It has too many windows, they aren't arranged in an octagon, and they also aren't angled in such a way that the top of the window sticks out further than the bottom. I've always wanted to just replace the windows with ones that match the interior, and then the whole rest of the model would work fine.
    So, here's my in-progress Ghost model...

In a room shaped like the bridge room:

zoomed further out...

from another angle...

further out...

all the way out:

So, yeah, I'm going to super slowly model in all the different pieces and then I'll have a nice SC2 battlecruiser model... except that it'll have those sheltered angled windows.
    Overall length will be ~980m, the same size I used for the Field Manual (though already this model is much more accurate than that drawing). I feel good about the amount of space the bridge takes up.

Oh and here it is with the SC2 carrier ('canon' Field Manual size) and my SC1 battlecruiser (not-canon):

Last edited by Robear; 04-11-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Looking good, Robear. Yeah, I noted the discrepency between the interior and exterior bridge designs when making my Battlecruiser cross section, but opted to keep it simple. I may go back at some point and round out the bridge the way you have it.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Yeah, I was checking in with your diagram as I was doing what I have so far, and I definitely want to use your hangar layouts, and put hangar 12 where you have it on the side.

Really? Well then, looks like I have no choice but to conform my design to yours!

https://simonfuchs.wordpress.com/

Look at this page, awesome samples from a blizzard artist!
    I believe that the "lens of the void" is located right behind the big crystal, and from the short story is told that he/she needs a lot of concentration to control the void energies (i mean, on the short story two lens were going to form a dark archon for accident), considering all these wings to guide the energy i can't image the amount of energy this ship can unleash
    Last edited by DefilerRulez; 04-16-2016 at 06:14 PM.

I am really glad they made those void ray and carrier models.

Here's some progress on texturing the zergling for the 3d scene:

Last edited by Robear; 04-24-2016 at 04:22 PM.

How would these models and textures you're working on compare in quality (for lack of a better word) to the models and textures used by portraits and story-mode models in SC2? I'm not making requests for anything to be made specifically, but I'm sure the people over at SC2Mapster would love any models of this quality they can get. Do you have any thoughts of letting the community use them for their own projects once they're all done?
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    How would these models and textures you're working on compare in quality (for lack of a better word) to the models and textures used by portraits and story-mode models in SC2? I'm not making requests for anything to be made specifically, but I'm sure the people over at SC2Mapster would love any models of this quality they can get. Do you have any thoughts of letting the community use them for their own projects once they're all done?
    Quality is a good word, hah, don't worry.

So, the short version is that right now my models are lower quality than the SC2 portraits. They have less modeled detail. Concrete example, the Hydralisk portrait in SC2 is 4800 triangles, with 1024x1024 textures, my entire Zergling model is 2860 triangles with 2048x2048 textures (because I also have to have space to fit the rest of the model on there).

I'm not done with the textures on mine, but we can do a quick comparison with my Zergling's face and Blizzard's models:

Even if hypothetically I made better textures for mine, their model has mine 'beat' in several specific ways: It has actual modeled lips, allowing them to give it a snarling animation by curling up the lip, it has actual modeled eyelids so it can blink, it has many more smaller teeth and spikes, and it also has a tongue.

I'm content with my decision to not model and animate all of those features, because I never mean to show my model's face that close up. And this goes for all my models, they don't have particularly detailed faces— SC2 Protoss portraits can all blink their eyelids, mine just has eyeballs intersecting its face.

In Blizzard's full body model from WoL, the level of detail of the body is more similar to mine. But it still has that high level of detail in the face specifically, and tons of modeled spikes along its carapace and its nicely curving tail— you can see I just threw in like 10 spikes total outside of the head. For the scythe claws on the upper and lower arms, I think both have the exact same level of detail. But the Zergling is also one of the less-detailed story mode units, compared to the Hydralisk.

I am very happy with the way the upper arms look up in that shiny wing gif above, though. If I can texture the rest of the body to that standard, then I think my Zergling will hold up well even compared with the official one, at this distance.

My Roach model is actually pretty good, but like my Zergling it has fewer teeth and fewer modeled facial features than Blizzard's. For it and my Overlord and Mutalisk model, I didn't even model in eyes, intending to just texture them on, so they wouldn't be able to blink or look around. I'm not trying to let my faces fill an entire fullscreen frame like they did with the HotS Zergling.

But, each new model is dramatically better than my last, and I get better at modeling and texturing unusual shapes each time. After the Zergling is done I'll be working on Overlord textures almost from scratch, since I've already improved my organic bump map painting technique a lot, hopefully being able to get them to a similar quality— my model is less detailed than a Blizzard model would have been had they had one for the Evolution Pit, but: If my overlord's face looks more like Mr. Jack's than the portrait, I will consider it better quality. :P

As for sharing things, I don't know what I'll do with these Unity models. I am sharing that Hydralisk model I collaborated with GhostNova on.
    Last edited by Robear; 04-26-2016 at 07:23 PM.