Page 110 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1312

Thread: Unit Pictures

Default Re: Unit Pictures

I remembered a very large ship you could do...

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Worldship

PS: Guys by the end of the month my lore-accurate/balanced extension mod will be made public for beta. The units are scaled off this with realistic armor/damage, as well as several abilities each, most are auto cast so don't worry, your marines will properly stim and grenade stuff...
    Last edited by Nolanstar; 04-20-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Found this picture posted by the official Starcraft Twitter:

Do you want to use this at all, or just ignore it as non-canon?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

No way those queens are real. They're as wide as a leg of the tower.

So, just wanted to let everyone know, Vipers are insane:

Quote Originally Posted by Starcraft 2 - Radio Liberty
    That however, is only the beginning. You see, we’ve recently heard reports about a mysterious new weapon in the hands of the Zerg. We’ve heard of battlefields being covered in a dense, blinding cloud, rending our guns all but useless, and of Battlecruisers escaping from battle only to be yanked back into the fray. The source behind these bone-chilling truths is the Viper, and we now have a full intel report on not only what it can do, but how.
    A Viper yanking Battlecruisers happens in the lore according to an in-universe perspective.

So...how big should the Viper be based on that?

Given they do mutate directly form Mutalisks in the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    No way those queens are real. They're as wide as a leg of the tower.
    It isn't the first time that Starcraft has been inconsistent with scale.

Battlecruisers, Colossi, Leviathans, Dropships, etc.

Their sizes are never really consistent.

The whole invasion of Paris ad campaign isn't really canon (obviously), but, let's check if that picture should be considered as a source for the Queen. (spoiler alert, the answer is no.)

The Eiffel Tower's base is 125 square meters, so we can calculate the length of the queens in the image to be about 25 meters. Huge! But is that really what they intended, or were they just scaling things to be nicely visible on people's Twitter feeds? If you calculate out the Zerglings, you get a length of ~4.6 meters, or about twice as long as my Zergling guess.

And there are other Zerglings in the same Paris ad campaign that aren't that big (the ones here are even smaller than mine).

So it's not a serious scale picture. They just wanted to get recognizable units and the entire Eiffel Tower in the same image, I imagine.

If Vipers are meant to pull Battlecruisers they will have to be a lot bigger... :/

I don't plan on doing any worldships, I'm sticking to just TZP right now, no hybrids or Xel'Naga.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    The Eiffel Tower's base is 125 square meters, so we can calculate the length of the queens in the image to be about 25 meters. Huge! But is that really what they intended, or were they just scaling things to be nicely visible on people's Twitter feeds? If you calculate out the Zerglings, you get a length of ~4.6 meters, or about twice as long as my Zergling guess.

And there are other Zerglings in the same Paris ad campaign that aren't that big (the ones here are even smaller than mine).

Well, they have inflated some Zerg strain sizes before.

The Comics have Hydralisks that can swallow a person whole.

I tried looking for a Zergling that was around the size of 4 meters. Best I could find are Zerglings that at about ~2.8 - ~3.1 meters long.

I did find a Queen larger than Zagara though.

If Vipers are meant to pull Battlecruisers they will have to be a lot bigger... :/
    Unhappy about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archon View Post
    Well, they have inflated some Zerg strain sizes before. The Comics have Hydralisks that can swallow a person whole.
    That just ain't right.

I tried looking for a Zergling that was around the size of 4 meters. Best I could find are Zerglings that at about ~2.8 - ~3.1 meters long.
    This is the biggest I've seen, but, yeah, it's like 4 maybe. Idk, but it's not usual.

Unhappy about that?
    yes :P
    Last edited by Robear; 04-23-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    That just ain't right.
    Well, the Zerg are grown organisms.

It makes sense that the Swarm can Dial-a-Size when it comes to them.

...Of course, saying that probably isn't helpful in a thread about trying to scale them...

This is the biggest I've seen, but, yeah, it's like 4 maybe. Idk, but it's not usual.

Huh.

That actually does kind of match up with the Paris picture.

And wowza. That's definitely the biggest Zergling in the lore I've seen.

I was digging through Frontline mainly.

Anywho, I'm scaling the HotS intro's/SC2 web-page's giant Battlecruiser right now and in the process scaled Mengsk's Palace based on the final cinematic.

I'll be back with that in a bit.

Spoiler.

It's going to be huuuuugggggeeee...

EDIT:

And here it is.

My process started when I noticed that the website's background image that featured the Infamous HotS Battlecruiser had a skyscraper to the left that was part of another piece of artwork.

A much wider piece of artwork:

So I spliced the two images together and put them on the same art-work.

Before I show that, here's where I started scaling:

Then I looked far and wide on the far out shot to find where I would place my scaling work on Mengsk's palace.

This is the end result:

Which gives us this Battlecruiser size:

Seems like someone was going for the Uprising and Frontline scale of Battlecruisers!
    Last edited by Shadow Archon; 04-22-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Oh, Blizzard... I have no idea why they made that Battlecruiser so huge...

I'm not too sure about your placement of Mengsk's office into the wide shot of his palace though. In fact, since the palace is symmetrical, so I'm pretty sure the area you identified as having his window actually looks like this, and isn't his office at all.

Note the 2 angled girder things sticking out from both circled areas.

Also, yeah, here are higher-res versions of the palace than the screenshot you have, should be helpful.

The in-game model suggests that his office should be centered on one of the pyramid's faces, not along an outer edge. So, it looks like it's just not in this shot, it's probably higher up, where they just didn't bother modeling the top section because it would be out of the frame. (Although the fact that you can't see the sides of the pyramid sticking out in the exterior shot makes me think the cinematic version was intended to be all the way at the top.)

Last edited by Robear; 04-23-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Double-posting out of excitement: So, those Korhal images are from the portfolio of a guy that did art direction for the HotS cinematics— you can click through the 'Post-Production' menu on his site to see a few paintovers of models to show how the 3D artists should go about texturing, like this. And he did work on the Korhal backdrops and matte paintings and such.

Also he had done some of the concept art for the WoL cinematics going back to the SC2 trailer/intro, in the Pre-Production - Shot Design section.

I've known about the site for a long time now, saw what was SC-related and what wasn't, saved the relevant SC images to my references folder, and never looked back. But just now I looked it up again to give Shadow Archon the link, and I happened to look at the Pre-Production - Prop Design section. Somehow I missed it, but he made a beautiful, physical maquette of the high-detail Viking's transforming wing design.

Really great-looking stuff, and I somehow completely overlooked it. Really makes me want to make a Viking 3D model...

It's so pretty... and look at those details, down to the rivets.