Default Re: Unit Pictures

Speaking of the Hots intro, this is the best thing ever:

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of the Hots intro, this is the best thing ever:

Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

"On that first one if you zoom in you can see dozens of recurring pinkish structures; I wonder if those are where the fronts of sacs/zerg drop pods are sticking out...? Or they could just be some other spiky bits."
    And if they weren't drop pods ? (If you know what i mean)

Nolanstar's Avatar Junior Member

Robear, I suggest you should do the ued goliath from the sc1 cinematic; the one with the giant missile racks.

Activity always drops after I post...
    Last edited by Nolanstar; 10-30-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Here an iamge of the "CGI" Zergling painting fro HotS CE, maybe you already had this...

And i have some questions about this picture:

1)Are these StarCraft sizes realistic? Are they different from your Chart?
    2)is really so small a siege tank? (I don't think so)
    3)There is actually a difference between StarCraft, Warcraft and Daiblo design? Or they are all WoWish stuff?? I personally think that sc is well differentiated from wracraft, also diablo is well differentiated, good old dark fantasy with more believable armors imho

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

I believe this chart is accurate with Robear's scale. Mr-Jack works well with accurate scales (remember the zergling used as reference on his ultralisk work). I'll ask around at BlizzCon in a week, just to confirm.

Perspective makes the Siege Tank look small. IMO, I'm more concerned about Zagara and abathur.

From what I have heard, the lore department at Blizz loves your charts, Robear.

Also Phillgonzo said that to Robear.
    I know that Sgt. Hammer has a tricky perspective... Maybe is not so small... I think that Zagara is overall ok, is Abathur that imho is extremely large... (i am going to buy Abathur for 10k gold, i wanted Nova, but i hate to camper for few hits ;p)
    You will go to Blizzcon? So lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Activity always drops after I post...
    It's not your fault, it's mine. I've been really busy with school and such. And it's not like I've done any new drawings in a long time, either. And then also I don't like to post when it's just like answering a 1-line question or something, because then if I actually did do some new artwork or find a new source and edited in the update, no one would see it. Now I'm writing this post because there's a bunch of stuff to comment on, even though I don't have anything new to show.

Robear, I suggest you should do the ued goliath from the sc1 cinematic; the one with the giant missile racks.
    I've thought about it, back in the days when I was feeling a bit more overzealous. There's the normal SC1 version, the missile rack version, the SCG version, and the SC2 one. If I end up doing more drawings, I'll probably end up doing just 2, a SC1/Ghost combo and a SC2 version, so I probably wouldn't do the missile rack one for the main chart.

Here an iamge of the "CGI" Zergling painting fro HotS CE, maybe you already had this...
    I didn't, that's great to see! Yeah, I actually don't have a copy of the HotS artbook, which is a little shameful. But I have looked at images from one, and while it's great they show the cinematic models of the zergling and baneling, I wish they did it for the overlord!

1)Are these StarCraft sizes realistic? Are they different from your Chart?
    2)is really so small a siege tank? (I don't think so)
    3)There is actually a difference between StarCraft, Warcraft and Daiblo design? Or they are all WoWish stuff?? I personally think that sc is well differentiated from wracraft, also diablo is well differentiated, good old dark fantasy with more believable armors imho
    At first glance I assumed that image would just be a compilation of Mr. Jack's images without any realistic scale, like the in-game unit sizes, but I actually think they are meant to be to scale, or Murky wouldn't be so tiny, for example. Imo Stitches and Azmodan should be bigger!

My queens are a couple feet bigger than Zagara is there. And I agree that the siege tank is a little bit off... if we were going by the cinematic/realistic siege tank design.

But you have to remember that Heroes of the Storm has a much cartoonier style, and its siege tank has a comically oversized turret (plus rocket boosters that can pop out the sides, and a giant cannon that fires a missile the size of the entire tank.)

Here's a screenshot from the HotS intro where I copy/pasted the torso of a marine roughly alongside a tank onto the top of the turret, like Hammer's pose.

You can see that, only looking at the turret, it's actually pretty close!

The main difference is that the body of the Heroes of the Storm siege tank is super tiny. Just compare the two designs.

Also I doubt a person is even supposed to sit in the turret of the SC2 version... It seems like that would be a place for storing ammo for the shock cannon or something, and the people should sit in the bottom, where the hatch was on the Ghost Arclite siege tank.
    (also, interesting that they both have the number 54 on them...)

Overall, I like the Heroes' aesthetic, but I think it's most similar to Warcraft. Just because when I see a hero like Stitches or Anub'Arak, it really feels like they're purely an HD revamp of their WC3 models, which is great. Of course, they do use models direct from SC2 in the game too, and they don't feel out of place (zergling, ultra, 'roachling,' muta, nydus, banshee... And, one that bothers me, one of Raynor's ults is the Hyperion, but it just uses the shadow of a normal SC2 battlecruiser rather than the Hyperion model they introduced in Heart of the Swarm. Tsk tsk tsk.)

IMO, I'm more concerned about... abathur.
    Eh, I'm not really bothered, partly because his original concept art shows him having a super long, big, snake-y body continuing on into the Leviathan... and then to have him walk around, they came up with that alternate little bug butt. Anyway, since all of him is above ground in Heroes, it's fine for him to be taller than he was when he was partly inside the evolution pit, and he's the kind of guy who would bulk himself and his armor up a little bit if he were going someplace unsafe.

From what I have heard, the lore department at Blizz loves your charts, Robear.

That's great to hear! (Maybe I should ask them for some clearer renders of some of the cinematic models so I could do a better job? :P Or they could just release their own version with the models actually to scale...)

I would love it if some comic-book artist used my charts as a reference for sizes in an official comic or something. It's a definite possibility, because they do look at/get influenced fan art, if only by image searching.

That's all I've got for now. When I have more Starcraft free time in the near future, it'll go towards my cinematic thread. Let's all hope that Blizzcon brings us some LotV news!

(btw, nice playing with you the other day, TheBlade. )
    Last edited by Robear; 11-01-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Still think if you do continue, eventually (3+ years from now, you should do some of the faction-exclusive varients, like the umojan marine, shadowguard, primals, evolutions, mercs and UED goliath. AFTER you do the Lotv units and are still motivated.

[

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Still think if you do continue, eventually (3+ years from now, you should do some of the faction-exclusive varients, like the umojan marine
    Yeah, that Umojan design is a funny one. When I first played HotS, I assumed that it was just a new helmet and some glowy extra pieces slapped onto a retexture of the standard marine model, but when you actually look at it, basically every piece was actually redone/modified in a new high-res model, even pieces like the foot and calf armor that never get shown in closeup anyway. Like, I would have expected them to just stick those shoulder add-ons on top of the normal shoulder armor, but instead they remade the model with spaces for the new parts to attach. Seems like a lot of work.

It really is as much of a different unit as some of the others I've done.

(Then for all of the Zerg variants, they just stuck on extra pieces instead of resculpting anything... oh well)

Edit: Woo, new LotV units! Biggest (literally) being the Spear of Adun, aka the Protoss Leviathan.

I'm trying to keep myself relatively spoiler-free for LotV, but I have watched all the trailers/videos that were just released. It looks like there will be story-mode Void Ray, Pylon, and Hybrid Reaver models, which is great— we'll finally have definitive sizes for them. And then of course there's all the new multiplayer units, Cyclone, Herc, Disruptor, and Ravager. Plus battlecruisers that can teleport anywhere. Whee.
    Last edited by Robear; 11-07-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Robear what do you think of the new LOTV units.

Also the terran reveal trailer has swan about 1.5x the height of the foot pads on the Viking in the armory.