Page 10 of 132 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Pictures

Default Re: Unit Pictures

Beautiful stuff here...

I think the reason why Gradius thinks the Muta looks big is because of the wings. I'd never thought that Mutas had such massive and imposing wingspans. Other than that, the Devourer looks even better now next to the Muta because they complement each other.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Yeah, you can see the resemblance with the devourer, but, uh, not with the guardian design. It just kind of loses the tail and grows giant crab legs. Not much I can do about that.

I think the swarm guardian model is a very good idea of what the guardian evolution should look like, given the resemblance found in the devourer. The swarm guardian is basically a snaky, flattened-out, armoured mutalisk.

That said, you can see a slight resemblance to the mutalisk in the guardian. It is basically a larger mutalisk head with more pronounced spikes and no tail.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 01-16-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I think the reason why Gradius thinks the Muta looks big is because of the wings. I'd never thought that Mutas had such massive and imposing wingspans.
    I can see why you'd think that based on the ingame SCBW and SC2 mutalisks (and your avatar), but in Starcraft Ghost and the cinematics, the generally more realistically-proportioned versions have wings that are each easily as big as the main wormy body.

I've also done the infestor, but I don't really have any idea how big it should be. Big enough to poop out an infested marine is all I've got. Does this seem about right?

Edit: I've also sort of decided on a rough size for the [behemoth] battlecruiser, in relation to the rest of the units. This will probably change quite a bit, because my drawing of it might be different from crazyyoda's model, which I'm just using to estimate. In the original cinematics, battlecruisers have 8 hangar bays behind the hammerhead/bridge section, which I used to think could each fit dropships or wraiths, but, I tried that scale, and it just makes the units too tiny, much smaller than they were in the original cinematics. So I guess at this scale, those hangars would just be for shuttles like the one from the Amerigo cinematic, and, of course, scvs and cargo containers. In Ghost there's another, larger hangar along the bottom of the cruiser, which I figure is where the larger dropships could go—although perhaps that was intended to be the yamato cannon. So, at that scale, here's my mockup:

Which seems pretty plausible to me. It's big enough to fit a couple of dropships inside, which I think is important, and small enough so that you can actually see the other air units. We'll see how my drawing turns out, but, I think this is looking alright for now. The Gantrithor's going to be even bigger, seeing as mutalisks flew around inside it.
    Last edited by Robear; 01-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.

These are beautiful.

I think the Battlecruiser may be a bit larger. The final Brood War cinematic shows several bays behind the large hammerhead hull at the front, each accommodating at least one wraith. However, I'd probably scale to the Hyperion showed in StarCraft II against Mutalisks.

The only other reference material we have / will have to scale the BC is in Heart of the Swarm, where the cruisers are seen with smaller vessels close by. That will be your best bet, I believe.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

The problem is that I don't think Blizzard internally ever decided on a scale for anything back when they made the SC1 cinematics, I honestly think they just scaled the models for whatever looked good in the scene. The Downing of Norad II cut scene shows that guardians and scourge are pretty generously large compared to battlecruisers (as in, as thick as the wings), and then we go and have a scene at the end of Brood War that shows Guardians are as long as a vulture, and only as wide as a few lanes of traffic. There's no way that both of these can be true at the same time.

But, yeah, you're right, there are those little windows for scale, and those hangars are big enough for the wraiths in scenes like the Inauguration. So, battlecruisers are BIG. So big that the zerg air units will be tiny next to them, and they'll be more like carrier size, which according to The Return to Aiur is good...

So, I guess the zerg air units in the Downing of the Norad II are just way too big.
    I'll have to just include a disclaimer saying, "In special cases, individuals from otherwise normal Zerg strains have been observed growing to enormous size. Some variance may occur."

As for the SC2 Hyperion, in the Escape from Mar Sara cut scene, in the bottom right, about 5 seconds in, you can see a mutalisk get shot and bounce along the surface of the ship, near some windows. If each row of windows is a separate floor (deck) of the ship, then the mutalisks in this scene are all about 40-50 feet high, not counting the wings, whereas mine are around 20. And since I know my mutalisks aren't off by that much (there's no way they're supposed to be twice as big because we've seen them flying after dropships in Starcraft Ghost, and we know how big dropships are), that means that the the Hyperion is too small compared to these mutalisks. But, if I go and make the battlecruiser bigger, people will complain it's too big, referencing this scene. Dilemma. :/
    Last edited by Robear; 01-17-2012 at 12:50 AM.

It'd be interesting to see how a Zerg Leviathan would scale up against the BC and the Protoss carrier (when you get to them first of course). It's a pity you won't have much to work with until HotS gives us a more definitive look at it's potential real-life size.

Man, I can only imagine how a Protoss Mothership would look stacked up against these.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    I'll have to just include a disclaimer saying, "In special cases, individuals from otherwise normal Zerg strains have been observed growing to enormous size. Some variance may occur."
    Careful now, people might then expect a disclaimer about the Terran/Protoss units being observed to be bigger/smaller in special cases, too.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Anyone know of any hints as to how big a defiler should be?

Here, you can have sort of a joke update: As preparation for making the epic battlecruiser drawing, I made a reference model out of cardboard and paper to understand the scale, and drew on the little hangars and stuff. :P

Edit: I have a real update now, too: Grizzly, Queen and Defiler, and nice high resolution.

I also watched pretty much every single clip of Starcraft Ghost gameplay, and ended up making all the vehicles a bit bigger to match. It's better now.
    Last edited by Robear; 01-19-2012 at 03:48 AM.

IIRC defilers have a few lore anotations none of which are helpful. The most relevant thing we know about them is that they are so dangerous they can kill zerg with biotoxins. Oh, and that they look like scorpions.

My guess on size goes for 7 zerglings in lenght, because the eat them like popcorn.

I like the scale from Mutalisk to Marine; it makes it more believable that one could swoop down on one; Mutalisks seemed too small, their wings too puny, in SC: Ghost to do that.

So, after viewing that cinematic again, your scale seems more or less spot on. Just wish we knew where the bridge was. It seems to be part of an elevated superstructure at the head of the ship, but no lights or windows seem to correlate with it when viewed from the outside.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    So, after viewing that cinematic again, your scale seems more or less spot on. Just wish we knew where the bridge was. It seems to be part of an elevated superstructure at the head of the ship, but no lights or windows seem to correlate with it when viewed from the outside.
    Er, actually, the bridge is in the back. You can see the windows right here:

In the demo build you could look out of the windows, looking over the neck towards the hammerhead. Here's a blurry version on video, and you can see that the view matches up with the windows I circled above.

Of course, for the SC1 battlecruiser I'd put it in the raised structure in the front, the back of the behemoth just looks like engine housing.
    Last edited by Robear; 01-19-2012 at 08:46 PM.