Page 1 of 131 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Pictures

Default Unit Pictures

2015 Update:

Here is the 2015 edition, featuring all the units at their official sizes as they appeared in the StarCraft Field Manual, which I provided the size charts for. This is the full size link, preview below:

I will continue the charts with all of the extra units independently as well.

FALL 2014 UPDATE:

The 3 year anniversary has been reached! Since some of the old image links are dying now, here's a celebratory recap post, on page 100.

This thread will never die! But things are kind of on standby until new material from Legacy of the Void comes out. The most recent uploaded versions of the charts from over the summer are here:

Terran chart
    Protoss chat
    Zerg chart

There are more hero units and ships to go.
    I'm also slowly phasing in 3D models instead of some of the drawings, but the overall project is still just to draw every unit.

_________

November 24 (2013): The Heart of the Swarm Capital Ships chart is finished! Here's a low-quality preview:

From now on, I'll be intermittently adding random stray units until LotV comes out, when there'll be another big overhaul.

—————————————

HERE ARE THE GROUND UNITS OF THE HOTS UPDATE

Here's a low-quality preview (outdated now), you can download the full size from my deviantart link above. (Though the full size is a 10MB image, watch out).

Below was my original text.

I'm creating a reference of Starcraft units from the side, to scale. The whole thing will be in the format of a large image with all the units lined up to scale, but I'll also create a Flash version where you can zoom in and out. So, I'll be drawing each and every unit in profile for use in this reference.

Does anyone have any interest in this project or in which units I should do next?

EDIT: I'll keep updating the most recent version of the lineup into the first post as I go. The final Flash version should have the following features:
    -Ability to compare any two units side-by-side
    -Ability to scroll to zoom in and out along the different sized units, from Larva to Leviathan
    -Ability to check whether to look at all units or only those of a certain race

Here was the poster-format image for WoL. I first made this thread on October 9, 2011, and finished the WoL poster on November 9, 2012.

(Keep in mind that that version is very outdated!)
    Last edited by Robear; 11-29-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Unit Pictures

This is awesome. I'd love to help out in any way. I guess the next units you would do are marine, zealot, and hydralisk. You can get references for those basically anywhere. I also think a zealot suit should augment a protoss' height. Zeratul is pretty short in story mode, but Protoss are supposed to be like 10 ft. tall. Would be a nice way to fix this inconsistency.

I definitely agree about Protoss height! I'll be sure to show that when I do the zealot, thanks.

For now, here's the hydralisk side view, and a quick mockup of the hydra and zergling vaguely to scale.

When I do the final thing I'll cut the units out from the sketchy background rectangles so it'll look nice.
    Last edited by Robear; 10-09-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Hydra looks great. Do you have frontline? The Why We Fight story had some great comparisons, especially zealot vs. ultralisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    When I do the final thing I'll cut the units out from the sketchy background rectangles so it'll look nice.
    If you need any help with that msg me, since I know from doing it myself alot that it can be tedious. Unless you just plan on magic wanding it or something.

Also, here is a previous thread on this topic: http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921
    Last edited by Gradius; 10-09-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Wow, thanks for being so helpful. Yeah, help with cutting the units out of their backgrounds would be great, no, unfortunately I don't have Frontline (I was going to go off of Starcraft Ghost for the scales that I could, but that's obviously incomplete), and thanks for that thread, I'm sure it'll be really helpful.
    Hopefully my attempt is differentiated enough from past ones by including original artwork for all the units. On that note here's the Zealot, the Marine, and the Ghost, and here's the current lineup:

Last edited by Robear; 10-09-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Cool! Next, how's about mechanized units & starships/zerg fliers?

This.
    Russell's Starship Dimensions.

I'd like to help out. There is an old picture from the StarCraft vanilla beta days of a zealot squaring off against a goliath, which seems to scale; and another of a goliath against a grid background, measuring some fifteen squares tall. I'm not sure of they're meters or feet.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I'd like to help out. There is an old picture from the StarCraft vanilla beta days of a zealot squaring off against a goliath, which seems to scale; and another of a goliath against a grid background, measuring some fifteen squares tall. I'm not sure of they're meters or feet.
    Yeah, I know the image you're talking about, it's pretty awesome.
    Both the zealot and the goliath are a bit hunched over, but, based on it, and Starcraft Ghost, and what makes sense with a guy sitting in the cockpit (see attachment), my Goliath is about 15 feet tall, standing up straight.
    I also drew a Stinger, so, here's where we're at right now:

...and the Zealot and the Goliath do match up fairly well with that SC1 render.
    Last edited by Robear; 10-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Never realized how much the Goliath looks like an AT-AT...

Quote Originally Posted by Quirel View Post
    Never realized how much the Goliath looks like an AT-AT...
    Running the risk of starting a nerd war, but...AT-AT? As in, the four legged walker? An AT-ST or AT-PT perhaps, but...

...my link to the Force has been disturbed.