Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3 Auction House Announced - Spend and Earn Real Life Money

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Diablo 3 Auction House Announced - Spend and Earn Real Life Money

@LoA: The fact that it is now more casual is why many people are going to hate it. People wanted PvP to be serious business. Not so much now.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Well, tough luck for them. I personally would welcome a game that doesn't consume huge amounts of your time either, and I would argue that playing without grinding doesn't mean you don't treat the game "seriously". In fact, the point where dedicated grinding starts is the point where a game stops being fun and enriching and becomes a waste of time (in short, stops being a game).

Wow, so, it just hit me that you can make money off of this.

Looking like I'll quit SC2 completely when D3 comes out and actually make my gaming time worth something in real-life. My biggest problem with gaming has always been that it detracts from my money making in real life. But, if I can make a little bit of money, that'd go a long way towards allowing myself to play more.

Sure, I don't expect to make but, maybe, a $1 an hour once I get to the end-game, but, hey, that's something! Currently, I get NOTHING from playing StarCraft II or other games.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 08-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    Wow, so, it just hit me that you can make money off of this.

Looking like I'll quit SC2 completely when D3 comes out and actually make my gaming time worth something in real-life. My biggest problem with gaming has always been that it detracts from my money making in real life. But, if I can make a little bit of money, that'd go a long way towards allowing myself to play more.

Sure, I don't expect to make but, maybe, a $1 an hour once I get to the end-game, but, hey, that's something! Currently, I get NOTHING from playing StarCraft II or other games.
    Why play games then? Seems awfully silly to me :/

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    @LoA: The fact that it is now more casual is why many people are going to hate it. People wanted PvP to be serious business. Not so much now.
    They said years ago it wasn't going to be balanced. At BlizzCon two of the classes were ridiculously OP - it was great. The casual market here is the brilliance. I think it is a great move. And if I had more time I'd write an editorial on it.

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

Why play games then? Seems awfully silly to me :/

For fun?

All I'm saying is that I don't have to feel so guilty now about spending more time in a game.

Looks like the Auction House was inspired on Battle Forge's auction house. If any of you are familiar with that game you will see why.

I made a load of money out of that game (not real money though, just game currency you had to buy out with real cash), but I never invested a coin on it. Let the market guilds start

Control the whole market of items, predict buffs and nerfs, sell cash for gold, sell exlusive items... Oh so much fun all over again :P

D2JSP and its originators were long before Battle Forge.

For those who are still worried about the Auction House giving the richer more gear should read this article from DiabloFans that makes a good analysis about it and how it doesn't affect if you have money or not and how both Real Life and Gold AHs are the same.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Cartman's opinion on all this:

Dude looks like me if I was anorexic.