Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the chanelog to the original Starcraft / Warcraft3 Beta?

Default Anyone have the chanelog to the original Starcraft / Warcraft3 Beta?

Maybe we can gauge the kind of changes that will come to Sc2.

Default Re: Anyone have the chanelog to the original Starcraft / Warcraft3 Beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
    Maybe we can gauge the kind of changes that will come to Sc2.
    There is no correlation between them.

Default Re: Anyone have the chanelog to the original Starcraft / Warcraft3 Beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    There is no correlation between them.
    Yeah...they're different games. Suffice to say you can expect changes, ranging from minor to extreme. Drawing parallels is useless.

Still would be interesting to see - Are those available anywhere?
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Weavel's Avatar Junior Member

They actullay put a lot more effort to starcraft 2 beta compared to wc3 or starcraft. I mean in beta and early days starcraft was totally imbalanced, but in couple of years it became what it is now. However starcraft 2 beta will be (hopefully) pretty balanced and still fanboys crying about balance issues etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    Still would be interesting to see - Are those available anywhere?
    All I can find is

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...&mode=previews

and

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...&mode=previews

Even if WC3 beta is more recent... I remember very few things from Starcraft alpha (old interviews and previews.. maybe you can still find these somewhere)

For example.. Lurker was planned for original SC as building.. Basically, drone morphed into lurker which were basically stationary trap..anyone who put foot on it was devourved. I loved it..

Also, zergs have unit which could switch from walker form fo flyer form and vice versa..something like Viking is now.. but it was zerg unit

Also Protss dragoons couldn't be prduced in production building but probes were gathering dead Zealots and than they were put into robotic machine known as Dragoon.

I remember Valkyries were planned for first SC too (not for expansion), also almost all Zerg buildings were able to move around (on creep only) and attack anything in range. Basically zerg base didn't have defensive structure because every building were defensive structure .. it was interesting concept IMO..

Of course.. probably there were much more what we don't know.. but at least there you have few informations from Stacraft alpha and beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazur View Post
    Yeah...they're different games. Suffice to say you can expect changes, ranging from minor to extreme. Drawing parallels is useless.
    How about you find the changelogs first instead of complaining how people can't draw parallels. Discussion balance before beta is also completely useless. But interesting nonetheless.

Look at what the game was like before beta and then look at what the game is like after, it's pretty eye opening. I remember Warcraft 3 beta was quite a big change. They changed some fundamental game play options.

Meh...
    Last edited by Blazur; 09-01-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Even if WC3 beta is more recent... I remember very few things from Starcraft alpha (old interviews and previews.. maybe you can still find these somewhere)

For example.. Lurker was planned for original SC as building.. Basically, drone morphed into lurker which were basically stationary trap..anyone who put foot on it was devourved. I loved it..

Also, zergs have unit which could switch from walker form fo flyer form and vice versa..something like Viking is now.. but it was zerg unit

Also Protss dragoons couldn't be prduced in production building but probes were gathering dead Zealots and than they were put into robotic machine known as Dragoon.

I remember Valkyries were planned for first SC too (not for expansion), also almost all Zerg buildings were able to move around (on creep only) and attack anything in range. Basically zerg base didn't have defensive structure because every building were defensive structure .. it was interesting concept IMO..

Of course.. probably there were much more what we don't know.. but at least there you have few informations from Stacraft alpha and beta.
    Thanks for sharing! I knew about the Valkyrie, but that was the only one I'd heard about until now.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png