Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the new Unit Evolutions.

Default Re: Thoughts on the new Unit Evolutions.

LoA and I were discussing/speculating that the Hydra evolution might be sick if there is any change to the damage output. I'm definitely looking forward to see the evolution of this unit.
    Hey guys I want you all to know that my team is playing/did great this weekend so I am going to go ahead and make it my status because I know you all care and want to know my opinion on it.
    -sports fan/douchebag

Visit my blog!
    http://alejandrolc.com/

Hydra evolution with greater GTA damage... really?

I mean as a base concept, I guess this would make sense. But from a singleplayer RPG perspective, this idea absolutely sucks. If I play through the campaign, how situations am I really going to encounter where I would say 'boy, I wish I took that GTA damage evolution'? If air was ever an issue, I would make more hydras. GTA boost is a bland idea.

Hydras shooting multiple targets at a time? Now that's the sort of upgrade that is cool and makes me WANT to evolve them. More ideas like this, like an evolution that poisons and slows targets or causes them to explode upon death causing AoE damage. THESE are evolutions, not some crummy stat boost against a unit type that isn't even a common threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Hydra evolution with greater GTA damage... really?

I mean as a base concept, I guess this would make sense. But from a singleplayer RPG perspective, this idea absolutely sucks. If I play through the campaign, how situations am I really going to encounter where I would say 'boy, I wish I took that GTA damage evolution'? If air was ever an issue, I would make more hydras. GTA boost is a bland idea.

Hydras shooting multiple targets at a time? Now that's the sort of upgrade that is cool and makes me WANT to evolve them. More ideas like this, like an evolution that poisons and slows targets or causes them to explode upon death causing AoE damage. THESE are evolutions, not some crummy stat boost against a unit type that isn't even a common threat.
    It was a quick example of the kind of simple role-split we were looking for. I never said it was the best example. Calm the fuck down.

I would get the upgrade for hydras if the GtA became splash damage to deal with swarming units, such as muta's, banshee's, phoenix's/void's.
    That was not good for it

While I'm generally loath to suggest "pure stat upgrades", I wouldn't mind a "tough hydra" version. Perhaps something with a few more hit points and another ability (kind of like how the raptor has leap to go along with +10 hp).
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by kimera757 View Post
    while i'm generally loath to suggest "pure stat upgrades", i wouldn't mind a "tough hydra" version. Perhaps something with a few more hit points and another ability (kind of like how the raptor has leap to go along with +10 hp).
    Hunter Killer rawr!

nah, the hydra will probably have a 'siege' version that has better damage and longer range, but is slower (ugh, I shudder to think of it being even slower....) and a 'ambush' version that does less damage, perhaps has AoE to air but isn't a snail off creep. I would think that both would have the option to mutate into the lurker, if the lurker is indeed present.
    Last edited by almostfamous; 06-25-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: herped the derp
    That was not good for it

I'm pretty sure no matter how you upgrade your lower-tier units, they'll still be able to mutate into their next forms. A zergling with any upgrades or lack thereof should still be able to mutate into a baneling. Same with hydralisks, assuming lurkers are used.
    [CENTER]

One question I have to wonder is how unique the upgrades are relative to one another. I mean, we have 9 combat units (excluding Queens, Drones, Overlords, Overseers and Larvae). That's 45 (passive?) upgrades to come up with - more if you include the previously excluded units and/or any campaign-exclusive units such as Lurkers, Scourges, Aberrations and Brutalisks.

Maybe Blizzard will end up with "bigger" or "older" updates.

I could picture one queen version being more similar to the 2008 version (eg being more of a base defender), although maybe all the queens will be heroic (or Za'gara).

And any spellcaster transformation will probably net at least one new spell (per version). There could be an infestor version with Dark Swarm, and another that can make infested protoss. Or something like that, but filling a needed hole.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."