Thread: Double Posting

Default Double Posting

It annoys me. Specially when I accidentally do it.

Two methods to dim/stop it.

Add a delete button to your posts.
    Automatically transfer the double post to the previous post.

Default Re: Double Posting

Delete is a function specifically denied to regular users, as we like to maintain as much of a path of evidence for any issues that stem from the forums as possible. In addition to simply not believing in the removal of content.

Your posts will be automatically edited in if within a certain window of time, the system itself also has some safe-guards, but we can't prevent all doubleposts.
    here's to the crazy ones..

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Delete is a function specifically denied to regular users, as we like to maintain as much of a path of evidence for any issues that stem from the forums as possible. In addition to simply not believing in the removal of content.
    How will denying delete functions to regular users prevent evidence removal when they can just remove their entire post through an edit?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    How will denying delete functions to regular users prevent evidence removal when they can just remove their entire post through an edit?
    Because you can't.
    The forum system is able to track changes to your posts.
    here's to the crazy ones..

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Because you can't.
    The forum system is able to track changes to your posts.
    Then surely you could track a post being deleted?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Then surely you could track a post being deleted?
    There's a "soft delete" which keeps the post in a small row (the box that says "post deleted"), but has it expandable for moderators. The "hard delete" physically removes a post from the system.

I know there are VB mods which simply prevent users from double-posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    There's a "soft delete" which keeps the post in a small row (the box that says "post deleted"), but has it expandable for moderators. The "hard delete" physically removes a post from the system.

I know there are VB mods which simply prevent users from double-posting.
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=203705

using it on BF right now, I've found it works really well. can even set a time limit (say you allow bumps, but they have to be 6 hours apart) then you can set it to only merge double posts if the second was made under 6 hours from the first.

rawr.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=203705

using it on BF right now, I've found it works really well. can even set a time limit (say you allow bumps, but they have to be 6 hours apart) then you can set it to only merge double posts if the second was made under 6 hours from the first.

rawr.
    Ya, this is the type of thing I was suggesting. Would like for it to be added.

We're certainly looking into it.

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

LoA has spoken out XD

Well, in my personal opinion, delete is not much of a required function to all users.

I don't have a lot of issues involving double-posting (Used to our friend Gifted :P), but rather the fact that you dont know when someone is posting at the same time with you. (Great example are hot topics, when you start posting a replay to find out another 2 or 3 post after the last one you Actually saw)