Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to know Starcraft Lore?

Default Best Way to know Starcraft Lore?

Hey guys,

To quench my thirst (or possibly make it worse) for SC2, I've been getting quite interested in Starcraft Lore.

So far, I only know of four books - The Speed of Darkness, Uprising, Shadow of the Xel Naga, and Liberty's Crusade.

I was wondering first, what order should I read those books? Second, what other books should I read? And third, what else is a great source for Starcraft Lore?

Thanks,
    Ds

Banned

Default Re: Best Way to know Starcraft Lore?

I'll tell what I know at least, I'm currently trying to get my hands to these books as well. Only found those same 4 from local store, rest I'm planning to order but they cost so much with shipping fee and all >.<

I finished reading Speed of Darkness just now, and I have to say that it doesn't have anything to do with anything. It tries to focus on happenings just before Mar Sara's destruction, but there's so many weird things that just doesn't fit with rest of the Starcraft. Nevertheless, it's full of action.

Liberty's Crusade focuses on happenings in SC1 Terran Campaign, when Jim tagged along with Arcturus, telling the story from point of certain reporter. Good reading, kinda like gives you character-detailed story of the Terran Campaign.

Shadow of the Xel Naga focuses in between SC1 and Brood Wars. Good reading. Has important information about something big. Well, not information, more like introduction.

I'm starting on Uprising now, no idea what it's like.

Other books are...
    - Queen of Blades
    - Ghost: Nova
    - Dark Templar Series, 1, 2 and 3.

GentleBen's Avatar Junior Member

I, Mengsk is a good read. It details the lives of Angus Mengsk (father of Arcturus), Arcuturus and his rise to power, and finally his son Valerian.

Ghost Nova is the back story of Nova, the protagonist of the canceled game Starcraft Ghost.

Queen of Blades takes place during the first Starcraft zerg campaign and involves Kerrigan, Raynor, and Tassadar on Char.

There are others too, like the Dark Templar Saga (I only read book 1) and the frontline graphic novels, which I didn't like very much. All the SC books are at least decent though and are mostly stand alone novels that can be read at any time and wont step on each others toes.
    Last edited by GentleBen; 08-28-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Read the Dark Templar Saga as well as I, Mengsk.

After that, get the Frontline volumes.

After that, read the rest here.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

If you're obsessed like me you'll want to read every single piece of SC media out there: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

Reading the SC1 and BW manuals is key. The SC short stories, along with a bunch of other useful stuff, can be found here: http://sclegacy.com/feature/8-scencyclopedia

Yes, the game manual and the game itself are the two most important pieces of lore you can have. The books come in a very close second. However, don't plan on trying to read it all in chronological order, because there is a ton of timeline overlap.

But now that you mention it, I really need to sit down and make a detailed timeline showing where and how the stories intertwine.

Yes, the game manual and the game itself are the two most important pieces of lore you can have.
    Take what you read from the manuals with a slight grain of salt, however. Metzen and co. seem willing to retcon in order to make way for the story they intend to tell. The manual is just a general guide, so don't be too pedantic when analysing it. Same goes for the books and, to some minor extent, StarCraft and BroodWar themselves.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Take what you read from the manuals with a slight grain of salt, however. Metzen and co. seem willing to retcon in order to make way for the story they intend to tell. The manual is just a general guide, so don't be too pedantic when analysing it. Same goes for the books and, to some minor extent, StarCraft and BroodWar themselves.
    *sigh* why'd you have to remind me? I DESPISE those who have so little creative talent that they are forced to Retcon. Retcons are for weak-minded fools.

/endrant

I lost my original disc version of SC/BW years ago, and recently started playing it through the digital version. Anybody know where I can get the manuals? I haven't read them in ages.
    Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani

Blizzard's Exact Mathematical Definition of Soon™: {soon|1 month<soon<∞}

Another?!

Granted, but they seem less inclined to retcon StarCraft than they were WarCraft. It's not that bad; nothing vital, to my knowledge, has been changed.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

You can get the lore info from the StarCraft manual at StarCraft Legacy. For Brood War, there's no PDF of it that I know of.

As for the Brood War manual, it's hard to get a hold of. I copied it word for word, but don't know if I'm allowed to distribute it.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."