Thread: Thoughts on Mengsk's state post-WoL

Default Thoughts on Mengsk's state post-WoL

We saw in the campaign that the Dominion's citizens were revolting against the goverment due to Mengsk's inability to contain the Zerg threat + the revelations of Media Blitz. After All In, we can expect the Zerg to either retreat, regroup or abandon their assault on the Dominion's planets.

How do you think this will affect Mengsk's leadership? The epilouge suggests the emperor regained authority. But what will the citizens believe? They think it was due to the Dominion military? I just want to do some speculation before the expansion, and I want to know what do you think? Maybe someone has a different idea.

Default Re: Thoughts on Mengsk's state post-WoL

I'm pretty sure Mengsk will lose his title as emperor somehow in HotS, whether it be by death or exile or whatever. However, I'm not sure how early this will happen. And I don't think the Dominion will fall to pieces. I'm confident that Valerian will take his father's place and will become an ultimately better leader. Technically, both Raynor AND Valerian beat back Kerrigan's zerg, so it's not like the Dominion forces are just nothing. Raynor may or may not get a pardon, but I'm sure Valerian will cut him some unofficial slack or something.

Me, who knows. It's hard to think about what would be a great story for HotS when WoL was so . . . so . . . bleh . . .

i pray for a linear story line

Quote Originally Posted by Arkalis View Post
    We saw in the campaign that the Dominion's citizens were revolting against the goverment due to Mengsk's inability to contain the Zerg threat + the revelations of Media Blitz. After All In, we can expect the Zerg to either retreat, regroup or abandon their assault on the Dominion's planets.

How do you think this will affect Mengsk's leadership? The epilouge suggests the emperor regained authority. But what will the citizens believe? They think it was due to the Dominion military? I just want to do some speculation before the expansion, and I want to know what do you think? Maybe someone has a different idea.
    Mengsk didn't "regain" control, he only lost some of his control. And yes, he is in a weaker state now, with some planets abandoning the Dominion. Mengsk would still hold onto the core worlds, though.

Also, much of what happened on Char was due to the Dominion. Raynor will have no choice but to leave, and whether Warfield does or not, the highest-ranking Dominion-loyal officer will give victory footage of Dominion victory over the Swarm. UNN, while still hating on Mengsk, has already pointed out the lack of zerg expansion. Mengsk can still make himself look like a military victor.

At least until Raynor and Warfield tell the truth. Warfield is so well-known, Mengsk will have a hard time keeping him down.

I suspect Blizzard can mine the "Arab Spring" for some ideas. Countries that tried to peacefully put down the revolts, like Egypt, lost their dictators. Countries that shot at them, like Libya and Syria, are holding on... for now. Mengsk seems like he'll go with the "shoot the protestors" path. Expect lots of UNN coverage of this kind of thing, or however the zerg will learn anything about the terrans.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Well, for one thing we sure all know is that old Arcturus will have to die. But I have a moronic theory like this: Raynor won't kill Mengsk. Instead, he'll pull back, saying 'You're not even worth killing.', and leaving someone else to do it. I sincerely hope it'll be Tosh, we'd love some torture he'd do with Mengsk.

Also, I agree on Mengsk will be shooting protestors. But it'll only make it worse, giving Raynor a legitimate reason to bring him down.
    SC II - HOTS Coming Soon... What to expect? I don't know, I'm busy playing WoL.

I failed a thousand-fold to many enemies, but won a hundred victories over the same enemy. Now he trembles in fear, knowing I am bettering at prevailing. Tremble, enemies of the Code. For I am Legionnaire and you are my enemy. Therefore, today, thou fall! - Imperator Davien Servolo III.

I think Raynor would personally kill him, given the chance.

I've read Devils' Due, the newest novel, and Raynor does exactly that to one of the villains who, to be frank, really needed killing.

Of course, will and ability are different things. Mengsk wouldn't make things easy. I'd like to see the Special Services as in-game units, really tough light infantry acting like a Praetorian Guard.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadimus View Post
    Well, for one thing we sure all know is that old Arcturus will have to die. But I have a moronic theory like this: Raynor won't kill Mengsk. Instead, he'll pull back, saying 'You're not even worth killing.', and leaving someone else to do it.
    The theory may not be as moronic as you think

It seems that everyone is onboard the "Mengsk is gonna cark it in HotS" bandwagon, so Blizz might just as well keep him around for a bit longer. If they do keep Mengsk alive, it'll be a good challenge for the writers to come up with something that won't seem like they're dragging his character around just to kill him off down the track.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.