Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Random Players Thread

Default The Random Players Thread

"Only real men play random" -Chuck Norris

The purpose of this tread is to discuss all the strategies, advantages and disadvantages of going Random. This thread is mainly focused at team games which is where the strength of Random is most evident but any discussion on 1v1 match-ups is also welcomed. For any specific race discussion please use the other threads:

The advanced technology yet we can't make proper clothes race
    The I like to annoy and rush my opponents race
    The Single Player race

Advantages

Fact #1: In team games, high competitive play requires a very early scout (scouting with your 6th or 7th worker) to determine the race of the Random player. This is the only way you can pursue any strategy taking into account the opponent's behavior.

Corollary #1: Scouting requires a harvester and its opportunity cost means that it won't be gathering resources. Therefore, a non-Random player facing a Random player will be economically behind based on his or her standard strategic profile.

Corollary #2: Players that fail to scout are susceptible to lose a game to early aggression (rush strategies). Consequently a Random player can use this and perform a rush with a much higher success rate.

Fact #2: In team games when there is a shared base and Terran has to wall, the Terran player will force the opponents to waste a scan, sacrifice an overlord or in some cases expose an observer for the simple purpose of identifying the Random's player race.

I'm sure there are others like me who've seen the light...Post your tips and strategies!

Disadvantages

Fact #1: Playing random requires good knowledge of strategies and tactics for each race.
    Last edited by Genopath; 04-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Default Re: The Random Players Thread

One thing about random though is most random players don't have a solid plan for the whole game. That's fine in team games since it's mostly early rushing. But in 1v1......it is sort of a disadvantage for random players after a certain point.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

That is indeed true, I really don't have an idea of what I am doing most of the times. I usually only do "this" and "that" because I feel now is a good time to do it. I think that makes me vulnerable to early all-in pressure where merely seconds can mean the win or loss. And with a not so refined build order I lose seconds here and there.

Whenever i play vs a random protoss or zerg in 1v1 they always try an all-in. Like cannon rushing, korean 4gate (with warped in zeals), ling all-in when i expo, etc. But they don't do it as well as a zerg/protoss player.

Funniest thing was the random toss player asked how i scouted the korean 4gate and prepared in time. I just said I saw a 10 gate into a cyber core and saw he pulled guys off gas.

Then the random terrans are usually ok. And the not so refined build order... Random ending up Protoss in a PvP must be so shit. The matchup that demands the most perfection early game.

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    But in 1v1......it is sort of a disadvantage for random players after a certain point.
    I disagree, you just have to have 3 plans beforehand. It's a matter of preparation and knowing each race strategies and timings otherwise stick to playing one race.
    Hey guys I want you all to know that my team is playing/did great this weekend so I am going to go ahead and make it my status because I know you all care and want to know my opinion on it.
    -sports fan/douchebag

Visit my blog!
    http://alejandrolc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Genopath View Post
    I disagree, you just have to have 3 plans beforehand. It's a matter of preparation and knowing each race strategies and timings otherwise stick to playing one race.
    Really difficult though to really know all the strategies and timings for one race if you're not specifically focusing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    Really difficult though to really know all the strategies and timings for one race if you're not specifically focusing on it.
    Once we played this game for a couple more years, you'll know them all
    Hey guys I want you all to know that my team is playing/did great this weekend so I am going to go ahead and make it my status because I know you all care and want to know my opinion on it.
    -sports fan/douchebag

Visit my blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Genopath View Post
    Once we played this game for a couple more years, you'll know them all
    By then HotS will come out and there will be a new timing for zerg involving fast rush to Hive to get the one Kerrigan unit you're allowed.

good point, that's a total game changer
    -sports fan/douchebag

Visit my blog!

I need help playing random at the diamond level. Specifically I'd like to know the most efficient builds for each race that can be used against each race. In other words, I need to know as less builds as possible.