Thread: Reveal On Death Of Main Production Buildings

Default Reveal On Death Of Main Production Buildings

This thread is to continue a discussion going on in http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1250&page=7 thread.

Basically Currently in Starcraft 2 when your main buildings die (nexus) you become revealed after a short period of time( during blizcon it was 30 seconds, though we agree its going to be increased to at least 2 minutes).

This mechanic is in warcraft 3 currently and i'm using that model of the mechanic to base my thread on.

Originally Posted by Islandsnake View Post
    It should be standard across all game types just like its standard on how many probes you start with.
    Why? You might be right that it's suitable for 4v4 RT, or maybe even low levels of AT/Solo, but very few people are gonna grief at higher level.

If your in a situation where you somehow lost your main nexus and all your expansion ones...(which is much harder to do in SC2 than war3 where people constantly run into your base and kill off your main building). More than likely your main base is dead, and your ability to make units is gone ( or you would have enough for a nexus) You might have a few hidden buildings and some leftover proxy production buildings left.
    Not necessarily. In addition to my examples above (ie a terran or a zerg might be equally dead as you even if he has a HQ, he might have no way to mine - no drones, map mined out etc), what if you have lots of money but no way to build a new nexus because you lost all your probes? Unlikely? Yes. Seen it happen? Yeah.

Since you cant produce the game is over if you cant end the game with the units you have on the field, them seeing your buildings is fine at this point because ( im assuming 2 minute timer here as i think they will change it to the standard not 30 seconds) you will make your final stand before 2 minutes pass...and if its a base race you would have killed his main buildings off as well.
    See above, he might not be able to produce either but may not be revealed due to floating CC/abundance of hatcheries compared to CCs/Nexii.

Now im sure that theirs the slim possibility that there's a exception to the example but I argue the chance of that is less than the chance of a farm hiding moron....now I will say that most of my games with farm hiding took place in battle.net and not ICCUP but remember we will be in the same pool as all the battle.net kids that love to do this kinda stuff. (even high level players in war3 do this kinda annoying thing)

Lastly I think we should end this discussion and start a thread about it, since this seems to be a topic of discussion and is not directly related to this thread.
    I think farm hinding in high tier solo is going to be rare, and when it happens you will likely quickly find it due to maps not being that big (don't think this contradicts my earlier points).

And I guess taking it to a new thread isn't too bad of an idea, didn't see that line until now :P

Default Re: Reveal On Death Of Main Production Buildings

Mods Delete this thread, I was late in making it

I don't see any problems with this. If the other player wiped all of your Nexus (that means: no more main), and you cannot build another one in certain amount of time, it's goodbye, the other player is getting resources while you're doing nothing. Maybe 30 seconds is too short, but that's easy to fix. If the timer stops as fast as you start building the new Nexus, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

When did "In Warcraft 3" become "Unholy Evil" ?
    Last edited by SaharaDrac; 08-25-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Couldn't they just make it 'lose all production buildings and workers'?

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

No because that wouldn't stop people from running around with a worker building things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    No because that wouldn't stop people from running around with a worker building things.
    I did say 'lose all poduction buildings and workers', ergo this doesn't come into play.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

I did say 'lose all poduction buildings and workers', ergo this doesn't come into play.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you're suggesting that the players' buildings should only be revealed after all production buildings AND workers have been killed off.

One of the reasons why buildings are revealed is so that people can't run around with a probe and shuttle and build pylons around the map.

If the game doesn't reveal buildings till all workers are dead, this doesn't solve anything.

deadlock's Avatar Junior Member

i believe this mechanic is unnecessary in starcraft. it was required in warcraft 3 because it was possible to be an unbelievable nuisance with certain heroes and units (blademaster, high levelled warden, paladin vs ud, tanks, raiders, bats) without a main or expos and drag out a hopeless game indefinitely. starcraft doesn't have heroes so i don't think we need this mechanic.
    writing rhymes in my captain's log, Black Star date
    mcs fake like Egyptian gods in Stargate