View Poll Results: Your mental preference?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoy exploiting an overpowered feeling

6 18.18%
  • I enjoy overcoming the underpowered limitations

13 39.39%
  • I don't have a preference really...

9 27.27%
  • Other/Abstaining the vote.

5 15.15%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on being "overpowered" or "underpowered"?

Default What are your thoughts on being "overpowered" or "underpowered"?

DISCLAIMER: This is not a subject about game balance. This is about your preference as a gamer overall. Read post fully to understand.

Putting all statistics aside.. when you approach a game (such as StarCraft 2) do you enjoy feeling like a behemoth or prefer to feel like an underdog? What provides you more satisfaction? This is different than actually BEING overpowered or underpowered. Does this feeling change the way you play the game or choose within it? I'm curious of your thoughts and preferences.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW: (Replaced with this post to avoid confusion that was being caused)
    Hidden Content:
    There are times when people feel that they are overpowered or underpowered. This doesn't have to exist only for the sole reason of competition, game races or multiplayer, but even in the facets of each part of "cliche" of StarCraft 2.

To explain, some people feel that one race is stronger than the one they play, others feel they play a race that is stronger than another. Some people feel that playing 1v1 is a better test of skill than 2v2 while others believe that they take different skillsets that are developed in a different way. Some people feel that people who play custom games are less than those who play multiplayer... while some people play custom because they feel that it holds a "buff to their fun" persay.

All these examples aside, do you enjoy playing the behemoth in your eyes stomping upon those who dare get in your way? Or do you revel in the feeling of an uphill battle, overcoming your own mental perception of being underpowered against a superior foe... hypothetically? How does this make you feel when you receive a nerf or buff to your chosen subject of comparison? Is this a preference that has changed your choices within StarCraft 2, such as race or gamestyle? Has this directly influenced the strategies that you adapt to or refrained from using?

I hope that each one of you that vote can post your thoughts on the matter. I look forward to all of your opinions.
    Last edited by Gifted; 03-29-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Underlined some words to help people better understand the intended subject.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: What are your thoughts on being "overpowered" or "underpowered"?

I happen to play what people consider the overpowered race, and my only response is, if it's so easy, then come & play it. :P

Fighting an uphill battle is definitely something I revel in, which is why I have a desire to switch to Zerg. If I were to play Zerg I think my style would be more unique and/or effective than the majority of the zerg players out there, who just copy Idra.

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

I choose the strongest race and play that way.

It was Z, T and right now still T, though I think P is going to be the strongest race very soon and stay like that until blizzard make it the weaker race again. since they can't seem to balance the game at all.
    Last edited by Gifted; 03-29-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Striked out the flamebaiting. People can ignore that portion of the post to avoid this going offtopic.

Well I play protoss. That definitely makes zergs cry. Terrans as well who stay bio and say colossi/HT are OP versus bio. But it's not like protosses are completely dominating everything. With equal levels of high skill it's even but protoss does have an advantage late game. That being said there's no zerg or terran who sees 4-6 colossi with support units and just leaves the game.

Might just be the case of protoss learning how to use late game units faster than the other races. Like knowing the amount of colossi that can begin to rip apart ground armies. Knowing what support units they need. Using mothership in very late game for vortex and recall. Storms and FF used in conjunction. Some carrier play coming out now.

Zerg is slightly behind on learning the best use of their late game armies. Still see ultras sort of run around taking damage not attacking anything. And broodlords moving into awkward positions. Not completely using queens (for healing) and infestors to their fullest potential.

Then terran.......new players to SC2 would probably be super surprised to see a unit come out called the "Battlecruiser" from a terran opponent. Or much raven and thor play. Or even using banshees as a staple of their armies.

So i would wait to call any one race OP/UP until everyone sort of learns everything their race is capable of. And we're nowhere near close that. Perhaps by the end of this year we'll almost be there.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    Well I play protoss. That definitely makes zergs cry. Terrans as well who stay bio and say colossi/HT are OP versus bio. But it's not like protosses are completely dominating everything. With equal levels of high skill it's even but protoss does have an advantage late game. That being said there's no zerg or terran who sees 4-6 colossi with support units and just leaves the game.

Might just be the case of protoss learning how to use late game units faster than the other races. Like knowing the amount of colossi that can begin to rip apart ground armies. Knowing what support units they need. Using mothership in very late game for vortex and recall. Storms and FF used in conjunction. Some carrier play coming out now.

Zerg is slightly behind on learning the best use of their late game armies. Still see ultras sort of run around taking damage not attacking anything. And broodlords moving into awkward positions. Not completely using queens (for healing) and infestors to their fullest potential.

Then terran.......new players to SC2 would probably be super surprised to see a unit come out called the "Battlecruiser" from a terran opponent. Or much raven and thor play. Or even using banshees as a staple of their armies.

So i would wait to call any one race OP/UP until everyone sort of learns everything their race is capable of. And we're nowhere near close that. Perhaps by the end of this year we'll almost be there.
    This isn't about game balance though. It's about YOUR personal preference? Even if it doesn't affect your choices, do you enjoy feeling A or B? (For example, even though you play Race A which is considered OP, do you still enjoy feeling UP?)

EDIT: Haha, I saw you vote on "feeling overpowered", my bad man... my bad ^_^ *polite bonk to own head*
    Last edited by Gifted; 03-29-2011 at 11:35 AM.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

LOL. Yeah. I was just basically saying Protoss seems really strong now. But it might be a case of the other races not fully utilising their strengths. But in the meantime i'll use that perceived "OPness" to roll opponents.:P

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

Most. Abstract. Poll. Ever.

will think on this and reply later.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

I tend to avoid the discussion under the thought that I'm in no position to judge balance in this game. Blizzard has been at it far longer than we have and are much better suited to make proper assessments on balance. In a manner of speaking, I'll take the game as it is and focus my criticism on UI improvements or fun factor.

Heh, Blazur, read the OP, disclaimer added as this isn't about game balance persay.

I should post, shouldn't I?

I personally enjoy being the underdog in a game. I don't care what statistics say overall, if I find myself faced with a challenge that I have to overcome, I feel that when another person would say "gg, it's going to be too much effort to win this", I find it thrilling to find an opportunity to overcome what I feel is a massive weakness and strengthen myself. Don't get me wrong, I'll gg when a game is done.. but I see too many people simply "give up" winnable games. These are the games I thrive for.

I also specifically avoid "overpowered ZOMG strats" for this reason and try to expand to find new strategies that are not particularly the norm. It's the reason I go marine/marauder/ghost against mass tanks sometimes. Because to overcome that issue you'll have to utilize a higher level of skill/mentality to break apart the opponent to win. I'll admit that it limits my ability to get better at times, but it's what I thirst for from a game. It's like identifying a cheese rush and countering it with probes when others would gg. These "underdog" moments are what I prefer though. And with my skill level often enough *winks* I'll get the opportunities often enough. I botch them much more than I achieve them... but I enjoy it all just the same..

To a lesser extent that's why I enjoy random.. the additional challenge.
    Last edited by Gifted; 03-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.