Thread: The Real Queen of Blades

Default The Real Queen of Blades

Guys, I'm curious as to the character of Kerrigan as Queen of Blades from the books and how it compares to what is portrayed in WoL.

How do you describe her? Is she deceitful, treacherous, does she love being Zerg, does she have her human side still in her?

What is she driven by? Revenge? Merely to watch the world burn? What is she driven towards? How does she goes about things to achieve her aims?

Does she employ brute force?

Who is the Queen of Blades? What is she really like?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: The Real Queen of Blades

In Brood War she was a scheming bitch who verbally eviscerated her enemies. I always got the sense that she was angry at others because they didn't suffer through what she did, even though she is grateful for her transformation at the same time. She likes being Zerg & revels in it, though only one person can make her feel any semblance of regret: Raynor.

But in SC2 this has changed. She's now somewhat aloof, and she feels hatred towards her enemies, as opposed to anger. Her biggest priority now is her own destiny as well as that of the Zerg's.

Quote Originally Posted by GnaReffotsirk View Post
    Guys, I'm curious as to the character of Kerrigan as Queen of Blades from the books and how it compares to what is portrayed in WoL.
    Even in the context of the games themselves she's a puzzling one.

How do you describe her? Is she deceitful, treacherous, does she love being Zerg, does she have her human side still in her?
    Deceitful is debatable, she tried but she's not very good at it. She used deceit in Brood War because she needed to, but it doesn't appear to be her preferred mode of operation. Treacherous is undeniable I think, whether she loves being Zerg depends on which quote you believe:

But that was then, Jim. I'm one of the Zerg, now. And I like what I am. You can't imagine how this feels...
    Agent of the Swarm

You practically fed me to the Zerg on Tarsonis! You're directly responsible for the hell I've been through! Did you honestly think I'd let you get away with that?
    True Colors

As for having a human side still in her, that's pretty blatant too. If you somehow want to disregard Wings of Liberty's explicit assertion of such, True Colors also shows signs of Kerrigan's humanity in her conversations with Mengsk and Raynor, and her weariness at the end of the mission. The greater question is how much humanity she has, and how much control it has over her actions.

What is she driven by? Revenge? Merely to watch the world burn? What is she driven towards? How does she goes about things to achieve her aims?
    Hell if I know. It occurs to me that she was practically the only core character in Queen of Blades and we know very little about her motivations. I've found Infested Kerrigan to have a very childish aspect to her personality, and given her final words in Brood War about seeking to test her enemies again later, I think she wants attention and validation, largely though fear. And she wants control, to isolate herself within a secure cocoon where she can no longer be hurt by betrayal. But she's also Zerg, so the Zerg ambitions undoubtedly also exist within her. Survive, reproduce, assimilate, grow.

Seems she seldom employs anything but it. The Zerg Swarm isn't good at much besides brute force. But assuming you meant personally, then yes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    . . . But she's also Zerg, so the Zerg ambitions undoubtedly also exist within her. Survive, reproduce, assimilate, grow.

. . .
    I recall reading in Shadow Hunters, though I may be remembering wrong, that she was beginning to act more 'zerg', akin to the Overmind. She was very much directed in the same way. At least that's what I recall.

Who is the Queen of Blades? What is she really like?
    How about all of the above at varying degrees?

She's a much better character when you don't pigeon-hole her and give her labels.

Deceitful is debatable, she tried but she's not very good at it.
    So I assume you wouldn't call a bad, habitual liar a "liar" in general, then?

The greater question is how much humanity she has, and how much control it has over her actions.
    A question that appears to be largely moot now that Kerrigan is 'restored'.

Even then, even if she does has her "humanity" back, I doubt this will have any influence on her need for vengeance against Mengsk. It will be extremely ironic to see Kerrigan killing Mengsk after having her "humanity" restored when before, as the Queen of Blades she allowed Mengsk to live.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Thumbs down Re: The Real Queen of Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    So I assume you wouldn't call a bad, habitual liar a "liar" in general, then?
    Hah. Point conceded .

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    A question that appears to be largely moot now that Kerrigan is 'restored'.

Even then, even if she does has her "humanity" back, I doubt this will have any influence on her need for vengeance against Mengsk. It will be extremely ironic to see Kerrigan killing Mengsk after having her "humanity" restored when before, as the Queen of Blades she allowed Mengsk to live.
    That's a good point. I've always considered Kerrigan's character as growing throughout her mutations, she was a child in Rebel Yell, an adolescent as a Zerg, maybe now that she deinfests she'll have to actually confront her issues rather than hiding from them.

From broodwar I get this feeling that she's human. Her motivation was sort of a preemptive strike to save herself. Like how she spoke during True Colors.

To Mengsk though she talks about some plan she has.

Then there's the thing where she feels exhausted of all the slaughter.

I'm not sure if she's just putting up a face back there.

Zeratul's Avatar Junior Member

From broodwar I get this feeling that she's human. Her motivation was sort of a preemptive strike to save herself. Like how she spoke during True Colors.

To Mengsk though she talks about some plan she has.

Then there's the thing where she feels exhausted of all the slaughter.

I'm not sure if she's just putting up a face back there.
    Yeah that made me wonder also. She could be just tired from all the missions she accomplished in broodwar.

She still has human part. In the ending of SC2. Before she became human, She called "Jim". As if there was a different Kerrigan. Who controls infested Kerrigan anyway? Is she different when human? She should have her own thoughts because she is free from the overmind afterall.

I'm Starcraft Addict and enjoy playing it a lot. I'm also a webmaster in this site:http://virilityexreviews.net/ and I love to blog about for rent in gensan and http://femdophilus.org/

She's got razor sharp talons and unimaginable psychic powers. I really do think her powers were enhanced by the infestation, there's no way a human ghost should be able to regenerate limbs, for example.

In the books she could stop bullets with her mind (the infested her) - this is sorta like the magneto-esque force field spell she has in sc 2.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsamurai View Post
    In the books she could stop bullets with her mind (the infested her) - this is sorta like the magneto-esque force field spell she has in sc 2.
    Well, it's also very much like psi shields. Current Protoss use manufactured generators to deploy their plasma shields, but during the Aeon of Strife Protoss warriors generated them through their psionic powers. Gabriel Tosh also has an Defensive Matrix-like psi shield in Breakout.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!