Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium map speculation

Maul's Avatar Member

Default Premium map speculation

So they've announced there will be premium maps that you will have to pay for, and also that map makers can earn a percent of this on their own maps. So how much do you think these maps will sell for?

I'd aim for <$1 for any melee map and basic custom games (ie turret defence), $1-$2 for more indepth custom games/training simulators (ie RPG, micro practice) and $5-10 for actual campaigns.

I've got no problem with Blizzard charging us for certain maps due to the free nature of Battle.net, but in reality, any one map is just a fish in the ocean, so I hope to see lots of maps for <$1 otherwise it will be too hard to find enough players that have also purchased that map to play with.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Default Re: Premium map speculation

I wouldn't charge for any melee maps... no one is going to pay for those.

The serious RPG maps or campaign like maps could vary depending on length slash quality. Like if you include voice actors and story mode spaces, you can charge a dollar or 2 for that.

Funny to think you can earn the money back you payed for the game.

Rizhall's Avatar Junior Member

What? Why are they making us pay for maps?
    Basically, they're charging us for something that should be in the final product anyway? A lot of companies are stooping to this, but I didn't expect it from Blizzard.

Unless it's only for maps that come AFTER the game is released. As in, they didnt purposely keep it out of the game just to make a quick buck.
    Are you down-right fierce? You Dan Straight you are. Join the Street Fighter Community!

Im curious

What map maker who has worked hard to make a map wont charge for their map?

Hmmmm I can release this map and everyone can play it and have fun with my work

or

I can make 400 bucks from the few people who are willing to pay for my redone Starship Troopers map.
    Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Rizhall View Post
    What? Why are they making us pay for maps?
    Basically, they're charging us for something that should be in the final product anyway? A lot of companies are stooping to this, but I didn't expect it from Blizzard.

Unless it's only for maps that come AFTER the game is released. As in, they didnt purposely keep it out of the game just to make a quick buck.
    The map makers decide if they want to charge the maps, not Blizzard.

Blizzard does get a small cut of the profits, which is reasonable.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 08-22-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Maul's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Im curious

What map maker who has worked hard to make a map wont charge for their map?

Hmmmm I can release this map and everyone can play it and have fun with my work

or

I can make 400 bucks from the few people who are willing to pay for my redone Starship Troopers map.
    Hmmm
    People have been making maps for years for free, I'm sure a lot still will. Some might even release free trial maps for their premium offerings.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    People have been making maps for years for free, I'm sure a lot still will. Some might even release free trial maps for their premium offerings.
    You wouldnt want to get some money for all the hard work you put into a map?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Nobody is going to pay for maps unless they're extremely high quality. There's a reason why they compared these maps to things like counterstrike & day of defeat. It's an extra layer of super-professional quality that you rarely see come out for free anyway.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

One thing I don't get about this... how are you going to prevent premium maps from being just uploaded to some site and having everyone download it?

Nobody is going to pay for maps unless they're extremely high quality. There's a reason why they compared these maps to things like counterstrike & day of defeat. It's an extra layer of super-professional quality that you rarely see come out for free anyway.
    Yeah. I've played some pretty sweet maps before too, not that many of them.

Things like Fuel Tactics Arena in SC, Dark Invasion II in WC3... maybe Vampirism... Spellswords RPG for sure in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    If even a small proportion of players are willing to pay for a medium to low quality game then the map maker can make money off the map. So the question becomes how many map makers are going to choose distributing the game free over money for thier effort.

Unless their is some quality control preventing medium/low quality maps from being made premium.