Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Achievements are NOT Gameplay

Default Achievements are NOT Gameplay

Blizzard's introduction of achievements I think is a cheap addition of gameplay. I don't understand how something so unrewarding as achievements are supposed to increase replayability. I think they should just be removed from the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Achievements are NOT Gameplay

It gives you a reason to replay and try harder. That's replayability. What would removing it do? Nothing but get rid of something decent to do in later playthroughs. It's not like it harms anything by being there or rapes your children while you're away.

I'm not defending Blizzard on this but bringing some information to the table.

In the progression of video games, the ability to create "challenging goals" has dramatically deteriorated by nature of the growth of the industry. It's rare to find games that are accessable and challenging at the same time. Achievements allow the game to have challenging aspects for some people while keeping it accessable.

SC1 had "Achievements" even if they weren't structured. Every mission with an "optional" objective was an achievement of sorts. It was a way of going above and beyond and being able to smile about it later.

The introduction of Battle.net changes this from simply "let's play games together" to "Let's get to know our gamer friends". I don't know about you, but deep down inside, the gamer inside me wants to brag. It LOVES to brag. That's the reason today when I logged into facebook... I looked at a friend play a typing game and it taunted me in the face saying "I did great! How would you do?" I beat that record into the ground. Was it immature? Yes, but the gamer inside of me was SATISFIED!!!!

For this reason, achievements will provide a challenge and the ability to brag to other friends. It's the reason why people in MMOs say Ding! It's part of the reason WC3 has icons that show up after X wins. It's the reason why so many games introduce achievements.

Achievements allow you to strive for a higher challenge level that isn't purely statistical. And you get a little trophy to smile at afterwards...

Don't even get me started on Super Smash Brother's Brawl... That's a collectors demise!
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    It gives you a reason to replay and try harder. That's replayability. What would removing it do? Nothing but get rid of something decent to do in later playthroughs. It's not like it harms anything by being there or rapes your children while you're away.
    Speak for yourself... my son is still scarred....
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

If you don't like achievements, ignore them.

Problem solved.

areese87's Avatar Junior Member

I had always heard that achievements were quite capable when it came to the sexual violation of the juveniles (i.e. kiddie-rape). I suppose I was uneducated in the deviant acts of gaming concepts.

Really, man, tell me how achievements add anything negative (perhaps subtract something positive?). It's kind of an extra thing that can ONLY help.
    Itís a shame that there is no hell for Falwell to go to, and itís extraordinary that not even such a scandalous career is enough to shake our dumb addiction to the ďfaith-based.Ē[/SIZE]

This thread is seriously retarded.

What is your basis on the removal of the feature beyond simply... ignoring it?

mmm, you will get used to them just as we all got used to Gifted's doble posts.

Well, my friend's brother is quite scared about SC2 killing WC3 so sc is ahead

SC2= 1
    Kids arround the world = 0

Well, many people come up with their own achievements when playing games (such as trying not to lose even a single point of HP or one unit thorought a certain level), I at the very least plead guilty where things of such an obsessive-compulsive nature are concerned. I'm sure plenty of other players do it as well. What the Achievement System allows is simply letting you be able to make those known to the world (without people rolling their eyes and saying "yeah, right" or accusing you of being a PC games addict (OK, maybe not the last one)).