Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft II Trilogy makes "Worst **** moves ever pulled by gamers" list

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default StarCraft II Trilogy makes "Worst **** moves ever pulled by gamers" list

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/worst-di...1114856016/p-2

Quote Originally Posted by GamesRadar
    Case #5: Reaction to the StarCraft II campaign “trilogy”

The first time Blizzard announced StarCraft II, fans went nuts. The second and third time, not so much. When the WoW-fed giant decided to make three games instead of one, entitled fans spun the story in a way that would make Fox News proud. “Blizzard is giving us three full length campaigns,” inexplicably became “Blizzard is giving us just 1/3 of the game each time and making us pay full price every time.”

Can you believe Blizzard wants to give us two more campaigns of this garbage? How dare they?!?

The big hullabaloo revolved around Blizzard's decision to create three separate, but full-length campaigns, but only include the first one as part of the initial release. The next two would come in expansions. Just to be clear, the first StarCraft came with a thirty missions single-player campaign. StarCraft II came with a 29 mission single-player campaign, and far more robust multiplayer and modding options. Still, it's not uncommon to hear players complain about Wings of Liberty being “only 33% of the game.”

It seems that there's no small number of people who expected Blizzard to hand over a 90-mission campaign out of the gate. Sorry, the economics of game development would never support that. StarCraft II was an amazing game that was well worth the money. Still is. Unfortunately, players took up the third-of-a-game soundbyte and used it to justify piracy. Which is, as you might guess from this article’s title, a total dick move.
    I LOL'd

So true

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Default Re: StarCraft II Trilogy makes "Worst **** moves ever pulled by gamers" list

I was one of those people that was initially pissed but quickly got over it. That likely stemmed from my mistrust of Activision and their greedy antics. Now I'm thrilled at the thought we'll have a fresh new SC2 experience almost annually, and am fully committed to that investment. Very few games have brought me as much enjoyment as SC2 has and I can easily see this being a 3 year endeavor. Mix in some Diablo 3 and I'll be set for the next 3-5 years easily.

SebiAlex's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: StarCraft II Trilogy makes "Worst **** moves ever pulled by gamers" list

The single player part of wings of liberty was very lame, the story and mood of it anyway, so cliche. The level design was pretty good, but I was very disappointed overall. I have a feeling the rest of the trilogy is going to be similar
    Last edited by SebiAlex; 02-06-2011 at 01:54 AM.
    Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all. - Isaac Asimov

I could do with 50 more cool missions, so no problems here.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I was one of the guys who was always mashing his stress ball and typing "C'mon, you guys, have a little faith in Blizzard."

I think it's telling that of my Xfire friends who thought it was a cash grab, the ones who ended up playing it changed their tunes. It may not be perfect, but Blizzard wasn't just shoveling it out there.

Agreed. The story may be far from top notch, but everything else that they set out to do was executed fantastically well and with a fair amount of polish to boot. There was definite a full game's worth of effort put into it and it shows. And that's what counts in my book.

Imagine this had been the whole game. There you get a horrible full story and a roughly good multiplayer. Now, with the expansions they have time to get feedback on the story and drive it into the excellent way we all hope and (at least I) believe Blizzard will do with Starcraft II.

I don't see the big deal about it since Blizzard always releases a expansion for their games, it just so happens we get an extra one for Sc2. It's all good as long as the production values are still top notch.

To me, the 1/3 argument is based primarily on the story being purposefully incomplete (not that people want 90 missions). However, after seeing WoLs thin story being so stretched out, it does make me wonder why the entire Sc2 story can't be told a lot more succinctly.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Huh... Not this crap again.

Well I must admit that my opinion about the trilogy changed. At first, I really liked the idea since it meant that they would be able to develop the story a lot more. Of course, after I realized that the WoL story was pretty bad, I just didn't care so much about the whole idea.

The problem is that all the development effort went into making each of the missions super-polished across all the difficulty levels. And the missions DO feel very slick and fun to play, but I would have preferred them to be more rough around the edges in exchange for a more coherent story...maybe a little longer one, too .

That said, I agree with the article, of course. WoL's singleplayer easily justifies the full-game price tag and to get triple the experience for the price of a single game is too much.

Some areas are a little less-epic than they could have been though - like the starmap got downgraded from earlier blizzcon builds just because I think they wanted to save that epicness for the Protoss campaign .
    The only place for a hamshank is on the dinner plate!

There's a reason why Edward Longshanks was an evil git in 'Braveheart'! Down with the shanks! All of them!