View Poll Results: How would you rate SC2 now?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing

30 38.96%
  • good

26 33.77%
  • mediocre

15 19.48%
  • pretty bad

2 2.60%
  • crap

4 5.19%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you rate SC2, 7 months after release?

Default Re: How would you rate SC2, 7 months after release?

I liked everything about SCII except for a few particularly grating bits of dialogue. So I guess somewhere between amazing and good. Are you planning more of these between now and HotS Dustin?

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    *sigh*

Dustin will never learn.
    Too bad I cant +rep you for almost every your comment

The game was good, overall.

Dustin Browder is not the greatest game designer. James Phinney went to GuildWars, which is a very well designed game IMO (the game design made a lot of sense, just the philosophy might have been a bit too ahead of its time)

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I liked everything about SCII except for a few particularly grating bits of dialogue. So I guess somewhere between amazing and good. Are you planning more of these between now and HotS Dustin?
    No, only when hots launches.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Quote Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
    Dustin Browder is not the greatest game designer. James Phinney went to GuildWars, which is a very well designed game IMO (the game design made a lot of sense, just the philosophy might have been a bit too ahead of its time)
    I'm talking about dustin the poster; not dustin the designer.

The REAL Dustin Browder is the greatest Protoss designer in the world. That is undeniable.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I rated it as good. I couldn't quite give it an amazing. My breakdown:

Multiplayer: Very good. While certain units still feel OP, I've learned in recent months that scouting helps. 9/10.

Campaign Story: 7.5/10. Execution bugs and design choices lead to disconnects in the story stages. Corny character development and dialogue. I have the cheesiest sense of humor I know and could have done better.

Campaign gameplay: 8/10. Repetitve use of "new unit make level easy" structure is annoying. The non-multiplayer units and several strategies needed in the SP undermine the Blizzard notation that one intent of the SP is to familiarize players with gameplay as a basis for multiplayer. Furthermore, that the SP is unaffected by balance changes creates false comfort with certain strategies that are now much less effective. Finally, the lack of even a Zerg tutorial anywhere has probably slowed Zerg players' progress.

Graphics: 9.5/10. Even the low settings are good. Minor points off for the game's inability to fully/efficiently use my com's resources. I mean, how can you consistently max CPU usage and barely use the GPU? Note: I will not deny my limited understanding of the tech may be shading this perception just a little. Also, I don't understand how some can call this too cartoony given how cartoony all of Blizz's titles are, especially BW. BW was so cartoony to me I once discussed casting Elmer Fudd as Zeratul and other such characters. Daffy Duck as Aldaris and Yosemite Sam as Duke were others.

Sound/Music: 8.5/10. Some terrible unit voice choices. Terran music is nice as is zerg. Protoss is only ok.

Bnet: 9/10. Would like more map publishing space. I have 2 melee maps I've been testing w/ friends, and would like to do more. Am investigating options to create a rotation if/once I reach the, according to my editor, 10 map limit. Could care less about chat functionalities so long as I can at least talk to up to 8 at once. Would like ability to set up mini league for friends only.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

@flak4321: SC2's inability to use all your CPU has very little to do with Blizzard. There simply wasn't enough known about multithreading when the game was being made.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    @flak4321: SC2's inability to use all your CPU has very little to do with Blizzard. There simply wasn't enough known about multithreading when the game was being made.
    True. And perhaps my rant is misplaced. However, I can't just give full credit to game that forces me into low settings all the time when my com has the tech to run medium and high, though high gets choppy. I will not rule out the problem is as much on the tech as the game. That would be foolish.

Let me put it another way: Blizz released as part of one of the BW patches the ability to enable CPU throttling. Furthermore, Blizz and other sources have stated SC2 is optimized for a dual core CPU, which I have. And there has been much discussion, even in these very forums, from some people who have noticed a distinct change in resource usage following each patch. Based on this and Blizzard's own desire to allow their games to run on as many setups as possible, is it too much to expect a reasonable efficiency of CPU and GPU usage? Depends on the rig. Is it too much to expect a future patch/update that further optimizes SC2's performance on the current array of minimum and recommended tech specs? No, not really. I am willing to be patient for such a thing as I know it will take time.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

@TychusFindlay: I didn't knew SC:L was now Twitter.

That's how the non-Mexican world does it. Sorry for alienating you.