Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD-less SC Brood War play

Default CD-less SC Brood War play

I know there was a patch a while back that if you manipulated something, it would allow your computer to play StarCraft/Brood War without the CD. Does anyone know what the process is to do that? Do you need that specific patch, or is still possible with the current patch?

My laptop can't play SC2, so once in a while if I'm away, I'll play BW. But on a recent trip, I forgot to bring the CD, and wasn't able to play.

Any help getting my laptop to play without the CD would be greatly appreciated.
    [CENTER]

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: CD-less SC Brood War play

Not sure which patch it was exactly, but you copy starcraft.mpq and broodwar.mpq from your disks to your SC directory.

Thanks. But will it work with the current patch?
    [CENTER]

It should definitely work with the latest patch.

You could just get digital version online and that won't require any copy/pasts (and having your cd-key entered on your bnet account is convenient).

I don't think it works that way Hammy. On my desktop, I tried downloading from battle.net, and it still required the CD to play. Then, after downloading the current patch, I kept getting an error when the game tried to install it. I uninstalled SC/BW and tried again using the good ol' CDs.

First StarCraft, then Brood War, and finally I downloaded the latest patch. No problem. I followed Blizzard's directions through their FAQ section: moving the install.exe file from each CD, renaming the one StarCraft.mpq and the other BroodWar.mpq. But after that, the guide didn't tell you what you had to do in order to start playing. I tried opening each mpq, but I would only get an error and it'd ask for the CD. Am I missing something?
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I don't think it works that way Hammy.
    Sure it does. There wouldn't be any point to digital downloads if that were the case.

Then, after downloading the current patch, I kept getting an error when the game tried to install it.
    That's bad news. You might just want to ask tech support. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    First StarCraft, then Brood War, and finally I downloaded the latest patch. No problem. I followed Blizzard's directions through their FAQ section: moving the install.exe file from each CD, renaming the one StarCraft.mpq and the other BroodWar.mpq. But after that, the guide didn't tell you what you had to do in order to start playing. I tried opening each mpq, but I would only get an error and it'd ask for the CD. Am I missing something?
    You put those in your StarCraft directory right? You just play the game like you normally do, run StarCraft.exe.

Maul's Avatar Member

Yes you definitely can use your CD key to download the digital version and then play without a CD.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

I missed you Maul, what happened?

Or you could register on battle.net and download it to any computer and play without the cd at all times.