View Poll Results: Should Blizzard tone down its reliance on such elements for HotS?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be reduced

9 23.08%
  • No, I want more

6 15.38%
  • Nah, it's fine as is

13 33.33%
  • I am indifferent

11 28.21%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Poll] Who Likes Getting Brainwashed?

Default [Poll] Who Likes Getting Brainwashed?

I know this has little to no chance of impacting Heart of the Swarm's development but here goes...

By brainwashing, I mean 'operant conditioning'. Most people are probably more familiar with the term 'Skinner Box' which was an experiment where a rat was placed in a box with a button rigged to dispense food whenever it was pressed. The result was that by offering a reward for its action, the rat's behaviour could be modified so that it would press the button more frequently. Since then, it's been found that this works on people as well and that giving the reward every so often (instead of every time) had a greater effect.

In essence, a system which gets you to do action X with the promise of reward Y is a system specifically designed to get you to do action X repeatedly for a longer period of time. When used in games, this increases the game's 'replayability'.

When you look at WoL, you can see the game is littered with such systems throughout its design; most notably within the single-player campaign. Examples of this include:

1. Cash rewards following missions
    2. Research points
    3. Achievements
    4. Achievement points

Now, I can having a little of it in games. However, to use it repeatedly when designing the game's mechanics? Personally, I think it's a lazy way of getting people to keep playing the game and that Blizzard could do better.
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 01-07-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Default Re: [Poll] Who Likes Getting Brainwashed?

Yes, I hate being brainwashed. I recommend someone makes a game where there are no incentives to play it. That will sure teach the public about being brainwashed!

Brainzz!

You must have hated it as a kid when your teachers gave you a gold star for doing something right.

Since like 2008 or so, games moved away from intrinsic to extrisinic forms of reward. Before achievements and unlockables, the only thing that was really rewarding was the personal satisfaction you got from playing the game. Nowadays, that model has become outdated with the rise of unlockables, especially unlockables that give an advantage (looking at you MW/MW2/Black Ops/BF series). Now, it's less about skill and more about grind.

SC2 falls inbetween. There's still a very strong intrinsic motivatior in playing (eg getting better, getting higher on the ladder), but there's also a bunch of garbage unlocks for people to grind out. Getting that Selendis portrait doesn't shit when it's gotten by farming 4on4 Bronze. Unfortunately, too few people see that.

Been watching Extra Credits lately?

But yeah, I do not mind being brainwashed if it is at the same time done in an entertaining way. I want to gather credits to buy things. I want to be stronger. If it means I have to play the game I love more, then so be it.

Achievement points, now that one is a bit worse but... I have to admit... I am a collector of those too :P

But... I still would like soem more Mystery, Mastery, Mental Challenge, Flow and Narrative
    Last edited by Equiliari; 01-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Scientists measure a second as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods
    of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine
    levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
    Or the duration of 9,192,631,770 matches where David Kim crushes you head to head in StarCraft 2

A good (insert anything) will get attention by its own merit, and will not need to rely on brainwashing. SC2 fails completely in this regard.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Do. Not. Play. Diablo. 3.

Ever.

Seriously though, I think your argument only pertains to achievements. The currency used in the game is basically a way to add alternative paths to the game to limit linearity. It doesn't really matter whether you call these currency's credits, skill points, minerals, or oil. It's basically the same thing. Sure, there's other ways to do it but that's doesn't mean it has to be that way. Besides, in the next expansions there's supposed to be different ways of going about "brainwashing". Maybe you'll like those better.

OT: Where the hell did you get the term "brainwashing"?
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 01-07-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Equiliari View Post
    Been watching Extra Credits lately?
    Have been since Day 1.

Was rewatching that particular episode today when it struck me just how many aspects of SC2 contain such an element; hence, why I probably sounded a little outraged in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    Seriously though, I think your argument only pertains to achievements. The currency used in the game is basically a way to add alternative paths to the game to limit linearity. It doesn't really matter whether you call these currency's credits, skill points, minerals, or oil. It's basically the same thing. Sure, there's other ways to do it but that's doesn't mean it has to be that way. Besides, in the next expansions there's supposed to be different ways of going about "brainwashing". Maybe you'll like those better.
    Not really since there isn't really a reason why the upgrades you purchase couldn't simply have been implemented the same way all other upgrades were implemented in standard play. Admittedly, it's not nearly as bad/obvious as achievements and tech points; the latter being the sole reason why anyone would actually bother doing anything Stettman asked them to instead of just throwing him out the airlock.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    OT: Where the hell did you get the term "brainwashing"?
    Thought it was a word.

Always used it in the context of where one person manipulates another to his/her will in order to do something, often without the other person's realisation.

Perhaps "conditioning" would be a better term.