PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

Gradius
12-05-2010, 02:10 PM
We'll be implementing reputation soon. What kind of sayings would you guys like for the points? Here are the defaults:

User is infamous around these parts
User can only hope to improve
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past
User is an unknown quantity at this point
User is on a distinguished road
User will become famous soon enough
User has a spectacular aura about
User is a jewel in the rough
User is just really nice
User is a glorious beacon of light
User is a name known to all
User is a splendid one to behold
User has much to be proud of
User has a brilliant future
User has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody got any starcraft-y ones?

So far we have:

Positive Rep:
User has begun on the path of ascension.
User has the wisdom of a preserver.
User is one of the best starfighters in the fleet.
User has dispensed some indiscriminate justice.
User survived both Mar Sara AND New Gettysburg.
User's stare alone would reduce you to ashes.

Neutral Rep:
User is little more than cannon fodder.

Negative Rep:
User needs to be resocialized.
User needs some good old fashioned discipline.
User is his own worst enemy.

JackhammerIV
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Day[9] has some nice starcraft ones:
Negative rep:
User is not the fastest zergling in the control group.
User is neural parasited by a retarded infestor.

LOL.:P Maybe not that suitable to be used. But they are funny.:P

Positive rep:
User calls down the thunder.
User transfuses dying threads.
User fires it up.
User would give their life for the Swarm.
User has mastered the intricacies of the Khala.
User's psionic powers are off the charts.
User is a planetary fortress with +2 armor and +1 range.
User is a 2hp banshee with 50 kills.
User is more trustworthy than an Adjutant.
User posts faster than a speedling on stim.
User is the favoured child of the Xel'Naga.
User is Code S material.
User is stronger than 10 Ultralisks.
User has the knowledge of the Xel'Naga.
User is happier than a blue flame hellion in a mineral line.

Negative rep:
User has taken one stim too many.
User's neurons are not fully saturated.
User: Zerg infestation detected.
User can't find the "Any" key.
User's creep has spread throughout the forum.
User is a Viking pilot who did not survive the transformation to "Assault mode".
User is more emo than a Zerg in Beta.
User rages more than the Gracken.

DemolitionSquid
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
User has bore witness to negative suns, and the entropy of entire realities.

spychi
12-05-2010, 03:04 PM
lol rep whoring thus shall be it

JackhammerIV
12-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Positive Rep:
User is little more than cannon fodder.

I think you meant to put that in negative rep Gradius.

LordofAscension
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM
lol rep whoring thus shall be it

Actually no, as part of our rules that will be coming out rep whoring will be a bannable offense. We'll also be resetting abusive reps to zero and we've designed the system to make it difficult to rep whore to begin with. Rep only works as intended if we moderate it. We really want to distinguish good posters so we're going to see how this works.

~LoA

JackhammerIV
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
How will the reputation work?? Like a level based system with 10 levels of good rep and 10 levels of bad rep???

Blazur
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Negative: User is as infamous as DemolitionSquid.
Positive: User is as diplomatic is Gifted.

ooZer0
12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Positive:

-This User Has No Patience for Sitting Around
-This User is Jacked Up and Good to Go
-This User Walked on Water and Made Off with the Warden's Daughter
-This User is Like a Deadly Green Land Mine
-This User has Phase Crystals Charged

Negative:

-This User Requires Additional Pylons
-This User Didn't Make it Past Proto-typing
-This User Has Taken Terrible Terrible Damage
-This User is One Ling Short of a Control Group
-This User Forgot to Chrono-Boost

Arkalis
12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Hahahah good reps but how does the system exactly works?

Another question, will the reps begin qualifying when you enable them (like old members will have their rep automatically) or we will start from fresh?

I am intrigued with the idea. Here are some reps

Positive:
This user has brought glory to the Firstborn
This user has passed the Final Metamorphosis
This user has made it through the Fire and Fury.

Neutral:
This user will be a top poster soon™
This user just got resocialized...again

Negative:
This user has backstabbed his comrades.
This user fell out of Brood control.
This user severed himself from the Khala.

Gradius
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
There will be like 2 negative sayings, 1 neutral, and like 10 & up positive. So we mainly need positive suggestions.

Each +rep will count as +1 to your points is what we're thinking.

Arkalis
12-06-2010, 12:25 AM
But how do you earn reps? You examine user's activity or it is something automatic?

ooZer0
12-06-2010, 12:41 AM
If it works anything like it did in the old school SC:L. There will be two tabs people can press under your Avatar that will give you either a +1 or a -1. If you get more positive, your rep will show it and vary depending on how much positive rep you have (aka, more positive rep equals a flashier rep title). And vice versa for negative rep. More negative rep, gives a more negative title.

Arkalis
12-06-2010, 12:54 AM
And people can vote you once? It can't be spammed or used with bad intentions? (e.g. voting someone negatively to harass or marking newbs)

ooZer0
12-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Depends from site to site. But IRRC from the old Sc:L, each post you make can be voted on by somebody once. So each post you make can be voted on by each member of the forum once.

And this quote should help you if you worried about abuse.

Actually no, as part of our rules that will be coming out rep whoring will be a bannable offense. We'll also be resetting abusive reps to zero and we've designed the system to make it difficult to rep whore to begin with. Rep only works as intended if we moderate it. We really want to distinguish good posters so we're going to see how this works.

~LoA

Todie
12-06-2010, 03:51 AM
ah! This is among the things i missed most after migrating from Blizzforums! a reputation system will encourage posters to think about what they're saying and how they are saying it!

the impression i got from the rep system on blizzforums was that a single rep upping could count for much more than another - depending on the user who gave it. (not sure if it depended on that users reputation or something like how many + or - reps this user was hading out) ... idk what i think about this, but it stands thinking about...

Depends from site to site. But IRRC from the old Sc:L, each post you make can be voted on by somebody once.[...]

also, there can be a cooldown on how often you can hand out rep. be it based on time, postcount or both.

Twilice
12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
If it works anything like it did in the old school SC:L. There will be two tabs people can press under your Avatar that will give you either a +1 or a -1. If you get more positive, your rep will show it and vary depending on how much positive rep you have (aka, more positive rep equals a flashier rep title). And vice versa for negative rep. More negative rep, gives a more negative title.

I've never like those "buttons" you press on every post. Is there not a new type of revolutionizing way to distribute reputation points?

Arkalis
12-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Ah great, thanks for the help in rep. It seems great so can't wait to test it.

LordofAscension
12-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I've never like those "buttons" you press on every post. Is there not a new type of revolutionizing way to distribute reputation points?

Such as?

~LoA

Twilice
12-06-2010, 02:39 PM
It was more of a question.

ooZer0
12-06-2010, 05:40 PM
The wording of the last sentence has a very rhetorical connotation to it.

At first glance, you seem to be saying that there IS a revolutionary way that was recently thought up, but that the staff are un-informed to its existence. Although its true, that the sentence doesn't necessarily HAVE to be rhetorical, you also have to remember we co-exist on the same forum that D-Squid, Archer and others who use such linguistics as their M.O.

A better way of saying it would have been: "Isn't there a better way to distribute reputation points?"

But even then, some form of suggestion would generally be provided as an alternative to the "established" format. If there were something obviously better, or at least competitive, it would likely have been discussed between the staff in the first place before this thread came out.

Gradius
12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I've never like those "buttons" you press on every post.
You're not really obligated to give anybody rep points though.

Arkalis
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Headpost!
+50 Rep

Blazur
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Such as?

You earn 2 reputation points to distribute everytime somebody gives you positive rep, and every time you receive a negative rep it's a week before you can receive a positive one. Players are notified whenever they receive rep and by who. Admins can give out rep whenever they want and are free from limitations...and they are the ones that start the rep system by handing out points.

Arkalis
12-07-2010, 12:01 AM
You earn 2 reputation points to distribute everytime somebody gives you positive rep, and every time you receive a negative rep it's a week before you can receive a positive one. Players are notified whenever they receive rep and by who. Admins can give out rep whenever they want and are free from limitations...and they are the ones that start the rep system by handing out points.

You kidding right?

KDraconis
12-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Well, it certainly does prevent rep spamming, as well as people having more rep do get an advantage in the fact that they can rep people more. And someone getting negative repped won't mean the person can go on a wild vengeful negative-rep spree and it presents a good penalty.

Seems like a good idea, but then there's the problem of two people spamming each other rep points to get even more rep points to spam rep elsewhere.

I like this one better than "one rep a day" though, although it would require more control so that people don't boost each other.

Todie
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Blizzforums had time-limitations (or postcount) to restrict how often you could +rep the same person, and/or if it was that you had to rep others first.

it wasnt exactly clear how the system worked, but as i recall it, there was no problem rpping up several people in quick succession.

i think it might be kind of counter-productive to give people "reputation points to spend" ... people would be +repping a decent post and then a day later theres a WTF awesome post but they have no points to rep it up with? GG.

Twilice
12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
See there was one, thanks Blazur for saving my skin :P

But when you are given a negative one, maybe it would be better if it just reduce the amount of rep points you can distribute. (as well as giving you lesser rep-points)

Distributable reputation points given by one player should not be able to pass on to the same player again. (maybe you can't code it that way, but it would be good to prevent mirror-spamming)

mr. peasant
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I don't really agree with a rep system. I mean, is a point made by a person with a high reputation any more valid than a person with a low reputation? Will people perceive it as such? Personally, my main fear is that it will simply serve as a bragging point and promote elitism. Let's face it; if a person really is distinguished enough as an individual to deserve 'lots of rep points', odds are we will recognise the name on our own regardless. Moreover, most of us here are just out to have a good time and decent discussion; be it about Starcraft, Blizzard or the world at large regardless of who we're having a discussion with.

In addition, having a rep system might result in self-imposed censorship. For instance, a person might be unwilling to admit to an unpopular view (e.g. admit that they prefer WoW to SC2) or speak a harsh truth and get gang-repped down to death by others.

spychi
12-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I agree, we don't have members that wise and old enough to have it working like it works at BF

DemolitionSquid
12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree, we don't have members that wise and old enough to have it working like it works at BF

I agree. I mean, there's me, and like... that's it.

Pandonetho
12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
and get gang-repped down to death by others.

For a second I read that as gang raped.

Yeah, you certainly wouldn't qualify to distribute rep, that's for sure.

spychi
12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you certainly wouldn't qualify to distribute rep, that's for sure.

says one of the most moronic members of BF, I sense a butthurt

this is why I always liked more ChitChat than sc2 forums at BF, I am still devoted more to BF than SCL, maybe it's because BF members have a good sense of humor while SCL don't

Pandonetho
12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
says one of the most moronic members of BF, I sense a butthurt

lol, sounds like you're the one who's butthurt here. What could possibly make me butthurt at this point? If you couldn't realize it was a joke then you need to live on the internet more. I also don't know how you think I was moronic at BF, but I never even talked to you on that forum. In fact, my posting was done exclusively in the Starcraft forum.

this is why I always liked more ChitChat than sc2 forums at BF, I am still devoted more to BF than SCL, maybe it's because BF members have a good sense of humor while SCL don't

Oh the irony.

Oh and do you honestly think that partaking in discussions in a certain forum over another gives you qualities that make you better? Don't make me laugh. A huge portion of the members here used to be part of BF. Your logic is illogical.

spychi
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
If you couldn't realize it was a joke then you need to live on the internet more. I

i am sorry mr "I am always serious, I am now joking...NOT" but I couldn't catch up with your... ugh sense of "humor"

evillesh
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I think the whole rep system is more designed for the new comers, since those who are here for a long time know each other and don't need any introductions or any information regarding others.
For example, the more rep points he got, the more constructive criticism or good arguments that person can provide. Something like that.

DemolitionSquid
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Reputation is for acknowledging good posts, be they insightful views on SC, or humorous quips. There's nothing more to it.

GRUNT
12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Reputation is for acknowledging good posts, be they insightful views on SC, or humorous quips. There's nothing more to it.

More often than not, the latter, though :p.

Arkalis
12-07-2010, 09:24 PM
What about newcomers?

Zabimaru
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
More often than not, the latter, though .

I got my first ever rep on BF because of this... from you. :D

Other then that I never get any rep, so I don't really mind if it's there or not. You can only read so much into that sort of thing. I know who I can trust etc, and that's good enough for me.

Todie
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Indeed you do Zabi, but as Lesh says: what about newer members or lurkerers, that dont?

we all shouldnt be caring too much about this, all it should do in the best of worlds, is to make someone who wants to be taken more seriously & be listened to more closely try a bit harder in outlining what he/she wants to say.

lets remember that this place is ridiculously well moderated, and that apparently, any rep-system put in place will be closely monitored.

its hard to argue with mr peasant on this, the one thing i can think of saying is that clear elitism would surely result in negative rep's .. as for unexpressed elitism; if i think im too good to read your post, i wont read it, no rep, low rep or high rep.

the only difference is if i dont know you from before and have many potentially interesting posts to scimm though.

... i think it can be a useful infrastructure to have on the forum, especially for times ahead with potential influx of new members and hot topics.. but in teh end its only an arbitrary number on a computer screen.

time (or staff) will tell if we're mature enough to make a rep system work close to as intended.

Pandonetho
12-08-2010, 02:31 PM
My first rep on BF was from Gradius when I posted a video in the stickied videos list.

I was like "woah wtf how did my rep get so high all of a sudden."

That was before I realized it was relative to how high the rep of the person who repped you is.

mr. peasant
12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Indeed you do Zabi, but as Lesh says: what about newer members or lurkerers, that dont?

Which brings back full to one of my original questions: Would a point made by a poster with high reputation be perceived as being more valid than a person with a lower reputation? Just food for thought. ;)

Todie
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
My answer is a definite "maybe" ... for someone who doesn't know the poster etc, a graphic estimate of a posters reputation might give some welcome hints; if rep is negative, this might help imply the poster is more or less just trolling, while a high rep rating - combined with an intelligent post, might attract additional discussion / comments / questions on matters touched by that poster - replies that might not have been made had these newcomers not realized the commitment & integrity of the older distinguished posters.

i will admit, its far fetched. but its also kind of a noble goal...

i also think that if we do manage to handle a rep system so that it functions close to as intended, this will indirectly inspire interaction and post-reading; because it can be a bit gratifying to actively take part in setting apart good posts (and posters)

... At the current rate of posting and somewhat low activity among newer members, these things might not matter a lot. But they might, at a later point; there may well be much more activity com HotS beta for example.

mikill
12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Negative:
This User called down a Nuke on himself.
This User likes to cheese!!!
I got an announment this user is drunk!
This user is the dark voice of the forum. (reserved for the worst non-banned member)

Neutral:
This User should spawn more overloads.
This User requires more vespene gas.
This User needs to research Siege mode.

Positive:
This user is the best pilot in all of the nine worlds!
This user has pleased LOA, Gifted, Sarov and Tassadar!
En Taro (insert user name here)!!!!

Moderators:
Ban-Hammers Unite!!!!!!
I HAVE THE POWER!!!!
POWER OVERWHELMING!!!

Zabimaru
12-10-2010, 04:27 AM
This user is the dark voice of the forum. (reserved for the worst non-banned member)

I have a feeling some people will try to aim for this...

DemolitionSquid
12-10-2010, 11:35 AM
this user is the dark voice of the forum. (reserved for the worst non-banned member)

i have a feeling some people will try to aim for this...

Muhahaha!

Arkalis
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
This user is a Mothership. 'Nough said.

Zabimaru
12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
This user is a Mothership. 'Nough said.

slow and takes up too much room? XD

Arkalis
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
slow and takes up too much room? XD

I was gonna say unseen or useless but that's better xD

mikill
12-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Negative:
This user wanted to change the radio on Sarge.
I...Never Tread Wisely!!!
This User was warped back to Sakhuras

Positive:
This user is the Tassadar of the Forum.
Artanis hates this user, LoA loves him/her.

Blazur
12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
So I see that reputation is on the verge of being implemented...or at least the display aspect of it is. When can I start awarding players for LOL posts?

Arkalis
12-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Anyone noticed we already have reputation? Check your post the little white dot under your avatar. What I haven't seen is how to rate.

Zabimaru
12-15-2010, 01:47 PM
We're all cannon fodder. X_x

Arkalis
12-15-2010, 02:09 PM
We're all cannon fodder. X_x

We don't need any reputation mark to know it xD

flak4321
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM

I have a feeling some people will try to aim for this...

Muhahaha!

Lol. Raise your hand if you didn't see this one coming. Now slap yourself with it. Thank you. Please do better next time. Class dismissed.

Overall, I'm neutral toward a rep system. I view it as a classic double-edged sword kind of deal. I can definitely see the positive motivation potential. Yet, even with excellent moderation, there is no real way to prevent negative motivation from occurring. A negative rep point or a group in close succession may well cause a decline in posting frequency and/or quality and make a member become more prone to ranting or even leave altogether. I therefore think if a post got negative rep points in excess of its positive points and was actually a good post, just with flaws, the moderators should have some ability to nullify some of the points and perhaps send a PM stating this was done with a brief why notation.

mikill
12-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm Cannon fodder yeah!!! Fellow Marines lets go get 'em!!!!

flak4321
12-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Lol. just thought of some options. You decide positive or negative.

User is a Kel-Morian concubine.

For neutral:

User thinks this game is Warcraft in space.

DemolitionSquid
12-15-2010, 05:28 PM
This user has the IQ of an Infested Terran.

Todie
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Sorry to say it, but aperently "DemolionSquid is little more than cannon fodder" ... and so are we all.

it has begun!

Gradius
12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Rep system is here. See this thread: http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153843 (http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=8782)