PDA

View Full Version : Holo Deck

Gradius
11-14-2010, 01:01 PM
So I never go in the holo deck b/c it's too out of the way. Let's get rid of it? What do you guys think?

Blasterion
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
So I never go in the holo deck b/c it's too out of the way. Let's get rid of it? What do you guys think?

but where can we put the art works then =(?

Sarov
11-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Where would you propose the artist post their threads? Is it still going to be the off topic forums?

The annoying thing with that is people will start posting their threads in the SCII discussion forum. Actually, that's how most art threads get so many replies (people always view that one first). Of all the threads I've moved, most of them were art threads in the SCII Discussion forum.

Although I do agree that the Holo Deck is "in the middle of nowhere" so to speak. Most people don't even know it exists. In fact, it's the reason that I've held back for so long on posting my newest art pieces (I've got a new kick ass Zeratul picture that I plan on coloring).

I still like the idea of a section for artists though. Of course, if it's going to be in the off topic section, you might as well get rid of the Holo Deck. Maybe then, there will be more traffic for us artists.

but where can we put the art works then =(?

I remember a few others and myself proposed an actual area within the off topic forums. Not a sub-forum within that forum but a forum listed under "General Forums".

Of course, many people brought up the fact that they didn't know if it would garner much traffic. What they didn't seem to realize is that making it a sub-forum isn't a true test. Sub-forums usually don't get visited because most never think of it, never notice or don't want to bother.

I got a lot of replies in the off-topic forum itself in my last art thread but I thought it might be better if artist had their own area (map makers and mod makers have their own after all). It might have worked in the off topic forums if everyone put the tag "[Art]" in the beginning of their thread title but many prefer an actual section.

Arkalis
11-14-2010, 09:41 PM
The annoying thing with that is people will start posting their threads in the SCII discussion forum. Actually, that's how most art threads get so many replies (people always view that one first). Of all the threads I've moved, most of them were art threads in the SCII Discussion forum.

The sad thing is that, while new people do post them in general because of ignorance, most are smarter and post to get traffic and views as you say.

You can put a huge forum for art in general section however they will keep posting in SC2 Forum for the "free ad"

The_Blade
11-15-2010, 01:03 AM
I second Sarov

Sarov
11-15-2010, 02:31 AM
The sad thing is that, while new people do post them in general because of ignorance, most are smarter and post to get traffic and views as you say.

You can put a huge forum for art in general section however they will keep posting in SC2 Forum for the "free ad"

I'm quite aware of that, Arkalis. It's not just art either. It's project, maps, mods, etc. It bothers me that people who work hard on their art will never see as much traffic as a person who intentionally (or unintentionally, whatever the case is) posts theirs in the SC II Discussion forum.

On top of that, what are most fan sites for? Theory-crafting, mapping & modding, and lore (sometimes even fan-fiction). Even on the sites I have seen that have art sections, the sections are barely noticeable. I can understand why people are hesitant about an art section but look at the Mapping & Modding forum. It's noticeable and isn't posted in much. Or the Brood War section.

I'm not the only artist on this site and I bet you a lot of them are "in hiding". People stopped posting not because of a lack of interest but because they realized that the Holo Deck was SC:L's "in the middle of nowhere" forum (or they became busy, etc).

GRUNT
11-15-2010, 06:23 PM
I hate to say "I told you so", but...

Who am I kidding - I totally want to gloat, and I feel vindicated that an admin finally agrees :p.

Let's just stick with SC2-related artwork being posted in SC2 discussion, and non-SC2 artwork can go into the off-topic forum :].

Arkalis
11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm quite aware of that, Arkalis. It's not just art either. It's project, maps, mods, etc. It bothers me that people who work hard on their art will never see as much traffic as a person who intentionally (or unintentionally, whatever the case is) posts theirs in the SC II Discussion forum.

On top of that, what are most fan sites for? Theory-crafting, mapping & modding, and lore (sometimes even fan-fiction). Even on the sites I have seen that have art sections, the sections are barely noticeable. I can understand why people are hesitant about an art section but look at the Mapping & Modding forum. It's noticeable and isn't posted in much. Or the Brood War section.

I'm not the only artist on this site and I bet you a lot of them are "in hiding". People stopped posting not because of a lack of interest but because they realized that the Holo Deck was SC:L's "in the middle of nowhere" forum (or they became busy, etc).

Agreed. So making an Art Forum wouldn't help...

btw, THIS is the first time someone replies to something I posted since pre-SC2

Sarov
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I hate to say "I told you so", but...

Who am I kidding - I totally want to gloat, and I feel vindicated that an admin finally agrees :p.

Actually, not really. If you put a forum within a forum within a board, few people will go there. That's just how it is.

Let's just stick with SC2-related artwork being posted in SC2 discussion, and non-SC2 artwork can go into the off-topic forum :].

But what happens when someone has both SC-related art and non-related art? I primarily do SC so that's not really a problem but every now and then I may try doing a non-SC picture. Besides, it would be better for me to post my art in the SCII area. I never understood why I couldn't post my art there but people were allowed to post other people's SCII art there. Didn't make much sense if you ask me.

Agreed. So making an Art Forum wouldn't help...

btw, THIS is the first time someone replies to something I posted since pre-SC2

When I first joined, I had an average of 4 - 5 posts a day according to my profile. I stopped posting when I realized no one responded to me and that discussions were pointless. I'd point something out and people would skip my post but when someone else said the same thing, everyone responded to that one.

Anyways, I love the idea of an art forum but it's too "out of the way". I prefer that SC artists, such as myself, are allowed to post in the SCII Discussion area. It encourages more art discussion and helps the artists share their artwork. Besides, I'm sure people would love to see how much I've improved in such a short time. :)

GRUNT
11-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Actually, not really. If you put a forum within a forum within a board, few people will go there. That's just how it is.

And despite what should have been really obvious, the Holo Deck was still created.

But what happens when someone has both SC-related art and non-related art?

Like I said - just make a separate thread in the off-topic forum. No need for drama :p.

And Sarov, I don't think I've seen you post anything - show us! :p

Sarov
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
And despite what should have been really obvious, the Holo Deck was still created.

Actually, not for me. I actually thought it was going to be a section under "General Forums" not a sub-forum. :p

Like I said - just make a separate thread in the off-topic forum. No need for drama :p

That works. I already know that, from my first thread, my art is very popular. So I want to show it to more people on the forums and prove to people that when I say I'm an excellent artist, I mean it. Of course I'm still working on my coloring technique although it's going really well (the crystal sections of Zeratul's armor are rather easy).

And Sarov, I don't think I've seen you post anything - show us! :p

Well, as soon as I finished "inking" the ones I've started, I'll post them (I use a Cintiq 12WX so inking isn't really the best term). Make sure you actually check it though. :p

SonOfChaos
11-15-2010, 09:19 PM
I like the Holo Deck. It's nice that there is some kind of forum/sub-forum dedicated specifically for art. IMO, if the only problem is the location then it should be moved not removed. Also, if someone really wants to see some art, they prolly will be fine clicking around to get to the Holo Deck.

Twilice
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I think it's more about it getting forgotten. Maybe if it was a part of the forum instead of a sub-forum. But it seems rather inactive anyways. (making it non-sc related can mean any art to increase topics)