PDA

View Full Version : Website organization suggestion

Wankey
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
After a month+ usage, I think I've found a few problems (other problems I've tried to get used to) for the site that stand out the most.

The biggest problem affecting Starcraft Legacy is its overall design (not graphics wise, they are amazing). Remove the graphics and branding and you get a very archaic directory listing and file system listing.
While this may have been attractive to people in the 90's and early 00's, it is now 2009 and web technologies have vastly surpassed this kind of archaic information delivery system.

For instance, I've clicked "NEWS" more than 5 times now thinking I am going to the front page (where there is streaming news) only to find out I hit some random news archive.

I've clicked a few times on the community link thinking I am going to forums (then realizing there is a redundant forums link on the right). Considering the importance of the forums, it should be on the left.

I feel that editorials is pretty much the only link up there that fits its purpose (clicking it gives me an desired reward, a list of editorials).

Also, why is the videos section on a sidebar when it seems like the most important part of the site?

Furthermore, this site isn't very Starcraft focused. While it's got starcraft written all over, it's very self focused, linking to its own articles etc rather than fully pushing StarCraft pictures, video, lore etc.

Being a web designer myself, I am assuming that people are not interested in seeing a directory listing. Going to the features page, I hit yet another directory listing. I assumed that the features page would list out, graphically more so, the real features of this site. Or not even graphically, use some sort of layout (we are in the 20th century here) like a newspaper to give me summaries of features. Also don't see the point of a page for "features" per say. I mean, why is there a features page when the features should be part of the website (or do you mean editorials or SCL written articles?)

The gallery for media is also quite archaic to look at. It's literally a horizontal implementation of a vertical file system. Another huge aspect to be improved. There are javascript galleries which will do the job quite handily. And it won't take very long to get it up and running (a few hours in fact)

In general, SCL is trying hard to become a website similar to Starcraft2.com while missing a lot of its great design philosophies. While SCL has huge amount of new articles being written, it isn't focused. It feels like I am browsing a library website with pretty graphics than a modern gaming website.

My suggestions:

Remove the entirety of the right sidebar (useless IMO) change it with something else or just remove it entirely.
Remove the directory listing kind of hierarchy for the site and push for more of a newspaper like layout.
Optimize links on top, ie, News should go to front page... if not then it should be called Archive. Community and Forums should become one.
Media should be an entire link by itself, with a following media page full of fleshed out graphics and good design.
Some JQuery usage to make the site more dynamic or better flash usage (can contribute much here)
Widen the left sidebar and add it with more information.
A lot more useful graphics, while I agree with the use of graphics, it's just being wasted on very useless spaces.

Anyways, I've already enlisted to help here and will contact people tonight. Just want to get some feedback from everyone about the overall feeling of the website. There are some really talented people on the team, I just feel that they are misguided.

I find it frustrating that these sites cannot be best in every department. StarcraftWire has great layout, but shitty design. SC2pod has amazing backend not branding and design. SCLegacy has great design but horrible layout and branding. Starcraft.org is a weird splash page. Starcraft Forums.org looks like someone slapped together a template. SC2Armory had a graphics designer on steroids before they decided to go a boring aqua look.

SCL has great graphics work done, just need to fix up the backend and boost the features. I'm very inclined to have a unified community on one website (12+ SC websites just serve to split the community to pieces) and SCL has the most potential.

Anyhoo, I look forward to improving the site.

LordofAscension
07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
My suggestions:

Remove the entirety of the right sidebar (useless IMO) change it with something else or just remove it entirely.

We have plans to make the HT more useful. We're planning on ditching blogs and making the links lead to useful and permanent lore resources: the story, and several databases we have in the works.

Remove the directory listing kind of hierarchy for the site and push for more of a newspaper like layout.

Are you talking about the display of the mainpage itself or for example, when you click one of the links @ the top?

If you're talking about the mainpage - I'm satisfied with the way it looks - if you're talking about the directories - I agree.

Optimize links on top, ie, News should go to front page... if not then it should be called Archive. Community and Forums should become one.

I agree with the news or it should be renamed. As for the Community button - we have something special planned - we just haven't been able to implement it yet.

Media should be an entire link by itself, with a following media page full of fleshed out graphics and good design.

I concur - unfortunately, we're still working on what we consider to be higher priority issues.

Some JQuery usage to make the site more dynamic or better flash usage (can contribute much here)

I honestly don't know what that is :p

Widen the left sidebar and add it with more information.

Since we're likely to keep the right column, we cannot afford to widen the left - we have something kind of cool planned for one of the menu's but it isn't done left. We just can't minimize the central content column anymore.

A lot more useful graphics, while I agree with the use of graphics, it's just being wasted on very useless spaces.

How so?

Thanks for all your comments - this is vastly helpful.

~LoA

Wankey
07-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I noticed you guys are still using tables (shudder) Seriously need to get on the new web trends.

I contacted rice but he doesn't seem to be online. Who do I contact to get into this development thing? I am quite experienced in all web stuff and want to help. Some parts are actually annoying me to the point where I want to change them personally lol.

Wouldn't mind having like a real time discussion with everyone.

LordofAscension
07-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Either:

He is online :p

But you can contact me first and then Gritten secondly for coding stuff.

~LoA

Wankey
07-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Weird added him on MSN, but no reply. Add my, my msn is wyn_hou@hotmail.com

AJ
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
SC.org will shortly be more than a splash page.. :D