PDA

View Full Version : One suggestion for balance

spychi
08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Increase the damn Motherships hp and shields
it's almost useless

I mean wth, I teched like few times to it and despite the big recall aoe it's really too slow and too weak to stand a chance even with some support, I know I shouldn't leave my MS alone yet it should feel like the ultimate weapon of war

Twilice
08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Indeed, I would rather reduce the use of the mothership's ability's (if actaully needed) and increase it's combat value.

YogSothoth
08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Maybe. But I think buffing the mothership's combat value could make it truly unstoppable if you rush to it.

Norfindel
08-31-2010, 11:08 AM
It's stupid that it's always so slow. If needed, implemente a siege-tank-like mechanic, were the unit is in fast-move mode but cannot cast, and needs to change to sluggish-useless-move mode (the current one) to cast. Changing modes should take some time.

And IMHO, it should be able to cast more. I don't really care about it's attack value, but it must be fast and resistant enough to be able to cast more than one time before dying. What's the point of limiting the unit to one, if it's going to cast one spell in the whole damn game? I mean, as it's now, you're paying 400m 400g to cast 1 Vortex.

My signature resumes everything.

hyde
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I think the whole point of it is a defensive unit....i.e. to recall your units in a bad situation and have base cloaking....

Cause I sure as hell want my parked siege tanks to fly too.... :)

minerals
08-31-2010, 12:35 PM
I think we need to wait for the meta game to evolve for this. In a month or two blizz will prob patch it. I think.....

Flipluck
08-31-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree with Minerals, we have to wait for the game to evolve to really see the motherships potential. But i dont think a increase in hp and shield will really help. If they increase speed or a new ability upgrade would help.

Norfindel
08-31-2010, 06:30 PM
I think the whole point of it is a defensive unit....i.e. to recall your units in a bad situation and have base cloaking....
That's useless.

Cause I sure as hell want my parked siege tanks to fly too.... :)
Limit it to one, and there's no problem.

minerals
08-31-2010, 06:59 PM
lol I wish you could siege mother ship!

kyr200
08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
The Mothership is so useless. Its on the same tech tree as the carrier and it is not even compatible with the carrier. All vortex does is absorb all your interceptors. Recall isn't even good at all since the Mothership is so slow nobody would want to move it across the whole map just to insta teleport. The arbiter is by far better than the mother ship because statis field is friendly fire and it is also fast and the recall of arbiter was used for quick reinforcements.

TheEconomist
08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Mothership definitely needs some work. I've never once gotten it in a serious match, even during beta when I purposefully experimented with various strategies.

DemolitionSquid
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I have always supported the Mothership as the epitome of Protoss might.

Instead we were given a lemon :(

kyr200
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
It is actually a flying paper plate, not a lemon.

Dread_Reaper
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
I thought the mothership was totally useless too, but the thing is enough of a meat shield to turn the tides if you need to. For example, I was playing ZvP the other day, and came at the guy with about 60 hydras. He had 7 carriers. No problem, right? One mothership standing just enough out of range for my to attack it meant that I had lost half my whole force before I was able to whittle through the damn thing, and then was easily finished off by the carriers.

Its expensive, but it IS a way to turn a fight that you would otherwise lose, and that in my mind is worth any cost.

-Dread_Reaper

Wankey
08-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Mothership balance changes:

Speed upped to at least matching carrier speed.
Weapons removed.
Has two modes: Cloaking field or Psi Matrix field
You can toggle between the two. Meaning you can warp in units where ever the mothership is or turn it into a cloaking field.

kyr200
08-31-2010, 10:42 PM
I thought the mothership was totally useless too, but the thing is enough of a meat shield to turn the tides if you need to. For example, I was playing ZvP the other day, and came at the guy with about 60 hydras. He had 7 carriers. No problem, right? One mothership standing just enough out of range for my to attack it meant that I had lost half my whole force before I was able to whittle through the damn thing, and then was easily finished off by the carriers.

Its expensive, but it IS a way to turn a fight that you would otherwise lose, and that in my mind is worth any cost.

-Dread_Reaper

Probably should of made some overseers. And some overlord meatshields against mothership meatshield.

dynamiK-
09-02-2010, 03:09 AM
I don't see how Zerg can counter a ball of Terran Marines, Thors, Tanks and Meds. I used loads of Banelings and Hydras (upgraded) and got worked earlier in a 2v2. I started trying for Broodlords, but it takes basically another two tiers- beyond 3 -to start making them.

Hav0x
09-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Mothership balance changes:

Speed upped to at least matching carrier speed.
Weapons removed.
Has two modes: Cloaking field or Psi Matrix field
You can toggle between the two. Meaning you can warp in units where ever the mothership is or turn it into a cloaking field.This actually sounds interesting to me. It would need to have a little more than that to be useful though.

Briggs
09-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Why not replace the 1 shot vortex ability of the Mothership with something like a 1 shot ability to create destructible debris. Or something "Giant-Forcefield" esque

spychi
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Why not replace the 1 shot vortex ability of the Mothership with something like a 1 shot ability to create destructible debris. Or something "Giant-Forcefield" esque

Bring back the Mothership's WWI spells!

DemolitionSquid
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
My Perfect Mothership: A Short Children's Story by DemolitionSquid
400 min/400 gas - Same as now
400 HP/400 SP - A minor boost
8 Damage at 0.225 Speed - Same rate as BC
Movement Speed 1.88 - Same as Carrier
Passive Cloaking Field
Vortex: 75 Energy, 15 Seconds - can be cast more, but doesn't last as long
Recall: 75 Energy, Radius 4 - can be cast more, but brings less units
Warp-Transit: 50 Energy, 5 second cast time

spychi
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd rather see the defensive shield that absorbs all ranged fire

DemolitionSquid
09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I'd rather see the defensive shield that absorbs all ranged fire

Guardian Shield? Or Defensive Matrix?

minerals
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
What about it being one huge Point Defense Drone? And the energy it gave would take away all ranged projectiles? This would make a mother ship extremely strong in a army but very weak to pick off alone.

infernal
09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Guardian Shield? Or Defensive Matrix?

he is probably thinking of the time bomb ability that the mother ship had in alpha before the beta begun

DemolitionSquid
09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
See, I've always felt Vortex and Time-Bomb overlapped at bit too much. I'd rather keep one and have something else for the other.

I was extremely pissed when they removed Warp-Transit. The Terran and Zerg players complained it was rigged as you could run from battle instantly, but for fucks sake, the unit is 400/400 and you can only build one of them. Giving it a short cast time and casting animation would have certainly given Z and T enough time to focus fire the thing down before it lept away, if they weren't smart enough to focus on it the moment it entered battle in the first place.

Caliban113
09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Bring back the Mothership's WWI spells!

This - I watched the original WWI demo video just yesterday, and was left wondering why they got rid of all those great spells (especially since you could only build one anyway) Leave everything the same, except keep Vortex, (instead of BH) reduce the 'Planet Cracker' spell duration, and I think there might be something there - Outside of the infamous 'Mothership rush' I cant remember the last game I saw one used.....man, that just sticks out like a sore thumb

Harlequin
09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I like the idea of giving it a buff. I mean shouldn't the "Ultimate Weapon of War" have some abilities that make it a threat? Hey I never called it that, btw. It was actually Blizzard and if you don't believe me, I take you back to 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFH9gG0NQBo

I agree that this unit only needs one upgrade; something that should make it live up to it's name. I like a multiple purifier beam or a multiple photon torpedo like ability where it can hit many targets at once. It will make it more of an offensive and defensive threat. But, I'd increase build time.
Bringing back the planet cracker may be too much of a buff, though it was cool. Perhaps only a speed upgrade would suffice. You know things are bad when a Queen off of creep can catch you. Slight exaggeration but you get the point. Perhaps bring back the wormhole ability. It's a defensive buff but the unit really needs it as it stands (or should I say floats lethargically). The other option, and some may not like it, is to eliminate this unit altogether. It really doesn't seem to add anything to the game. It was a nice attempt and in their zeal to create a cool unit Blizzard overpowered the thing. When they returned to reality and neutered the unit, it just became the aerial equivalent of the destructable rocks.

userstupidname
09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Don't care about damage and health, But shieses increase its speed.

As one quote say:At least the arbiter could move in to cast