PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing CPU use

EvilGenius
08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
So - I'm at school right now, and I'm confined to a laptop - Unfortunately it's a netbook with ION graphics and an Intel ATOM (not exactly good for sc2)

I've already done SOME tweaking - but are there any ways to make the game less dependant on the CPU? (I've changed all graphics settings to low, and tried turning off sound - none of which makes a huge difference)

If i can tweak Arkham Asylum to be playable on 1.6ghz (seriously - it can be done), there HAS to be a way to get SC2 running smoothly :P

Corgon
08-25-2010, 09:02 PM
just overclock it. Download setFSB and see if it supports your laptop.

Hav0x
08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
So - I'm at school right now, and I'm confined to a laptop - Unfortunately it's a netbook with ION graphics and an Intel ATOM (not exactly good for sc2)

I've already done SOME tweaking - but are there any ways to make the game less dependant on the CPU? (I've changed all graphics settings to low, and tried turning off sound - none of which makes a huge difference)

If i can tweak Arkham Asylum to be playable on 1.6ghz (seriously - it can be done), there HAS to be a way to get SC2 running smoothly :P
RTS games are far more CPU intensive than a stealth action game. If you have everything on it's lowest setting there is nothing else you can do.

dustinbrowder
08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
OC your CPU, though I doubt the atoms really overclock, maybe 200mhz max, so I'd say you are officially screwed my man.

Noctis
08-26-2010, 01:34 AM
and this is why i got a laptop that's as strong as a desktop.

i feel for ya man.

limE
08-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Someting you have to do is going to to:
Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt file and add these lines:
frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60.
You may replace these numbers if you want to.

Hav0x
08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60.
You may replace these numbers if you want to.This has nothing to do with the CPU.

Gifted
08-26-2010, 07:37 AM
The only things I can think about is going into task manager and looking up every process one by one on google to see if you need it or not. Many times these processes are not required for the laptop and can be superfluous. Then make a batch file that terminates them in the future for ease.

The command to do so in a batch file is: [repeat for each process you wish to end when you run it]

taskkill /im ########.exe /f /t
(Replace the #s with the process name)

By doing this, you might be able to free up some processor and ram allocation. But it will take time and research to do correctly. That is the best I can advise other than overclocking, which is gonna give minimal results with what you've told us.

TheEconomist
08-26-2010, 07:50 AM
frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60.
You may replace these numbers if you want to.

This would only be helpful if his computer was going too fast which is the opposite of the truth. Doing any kind of frame limiting will hinder performance since your computer waits several cycles instead of processing.

TheRabidDeer
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/375107634

There are quite a few things in there that should make it run better, do remember to make a backup of the original or you may find yourself having to reinstall SC2.

TheEconomist
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
If I read correctly, those are all graphics settings. Meaning, they won't do much to help a lacking CPU if at all.

GnaReffotsirk
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
I also noticed this when compared to beta. I don't know, but SC2 now seems to consume a lot of power.

EvilGenius
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Some of those graphics settings ARE cpu dependent - None of it seems to be enough to play the campaign smoothly though. Interestingly enough, 1v1 is MUCH more playable than the campaign is.

I've considered overclocking, and I've seen the atom get up to 2.3/2.4ghz without too many stability issues - My only concern is how the temp increase would affect the GPU (they're on the same heat pipe) - I may mod it, then overclock it (Arctic silver + Copper shim + overclock), but I thought i'd see if there were any other options first :P