PDA

View Full Version : Moving Up/Down Leagues

DutyFree
08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
After my placement matches I was put in Gold league, and everything seemed fine. I was still pretty new, but I was doing better and gradually moving up in the 30s in my division. Then, I lost a single game to an early 3 gate all in rush, and was demoted to Silver league. Since then I've been getting higher and higher in Silver (I think I'm 15th or 16th, but I have been dinking around with zerg and losing games that way).

My point is, I've been wanting to get back to Gold for a long time, and I was wondering: how do people get promoted? I guess I lost too many games when I was demoted, but It doesn't seem to be the opposite for promotion. Does anyone know, or is it something that only Blizzard knows the specifics of?

Gradius
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Nobody really knows the specifics, but I think that the way it works is that you have a "matchmaking rank" that is separate of your league. When I was in plat I was matched against diamond players for a while and was eventually promoted, so I don't think your league matters in the sense that you'll be matched with a totally different caliber of players once you get promoted.

TLDR: just keep playing & don't worry about it.

kyr200
08-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I was ranked 10 in my gold division but then i lost to a 6 pool and i was demoted to Silver. I think you just have to win a lot of matches against players who are "favored" to be promoted.

Gifted
08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Some things to consider:

1. A league is fit for you when you are playing against people of equal skill and winning and losing 50 percent of the time.. ballpark.
2. There is a form of identifying your stats in game to see how you play.
3. There is a form of testing your skill with people above or below your skill level to help see if you'd fit better in one of those circumstances compared to your current one
4. A single game will never promote or demote you. So if you go 5 game wins, and 1 game loss and get demoted, the results were pulled from potentially all of those games, not just the loss.

There is a lot more information, but unfortunately, I can't speak too much more on it from what I understand, which is not complete.

sakazahrn
09-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I was ranked 10 in my gold division but then i lost to a 6 pool and i was demoted to Silver. I think you just have to win a lot of matches against players who are "favored" to be promoted.

Nah, I got promoted to gold in 1v1 from silver because i cheesed a gold player (was trying it out) said it was "even" not "favored" even though it was.

It depends on how well you are doing, they have something or someone who evaluates your games and sees how well you are doing, So when you do well for a while they match you up with higher ranked people, and if you beat them you can get promoted to a higher rank.

Thats how it worked with me.
In 2v2 random, i usually play 1v1 but i find them both fun now so as i was saying, 2v2 random i was bronze facing gold and beat em and got placed in silver.
At least thats how i think it works :P:):D:cool:

dynamiK-
09-03-2010, 04:40 AM
I don't understand this at all. When I was in 1v1 Gold I kept playing guys in Diamond. Eventually I lost like 3 of 5, then beat someone who was in Gold and got promoted to Plat.

Same thing goes for 2v2. I play with a friend, we are in Silver (he doesn't play much) and we are playing guys in Plat/Diamond a lot... I fail to understand how this 'makes matches fair'...

Kimera757
09-03-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't understand this at all. When I was in 1v1 Gold I kept playing guys in Diamond. Eventually I lost like 3 of 5, then beat someone who was in Gold and got promoted to Plat.

You proved you could consistently beat gold but not beat diamond. Therefore you fell into the league in between; platinum.

It's not rocket science.

Also, it takes about 35 games (Blizzard's own comments) before the system can truly figure out what skill level you have, so you shouldn't expect an instant promotion just because you beat three games against higher-league opponents.

(And, of course, that's assuming you didn't get trained away from battle.net, then returned.)