PDA

View Full Version : Ideas about SC2: HotS SP Campaign

dustinbrowder
08-20-2010, 08:26 PM
What are your ideas what and how the SP campaign in the zerg expansion should be like.

Here is mine: LOTR:The battle for middle earth - Dustin Browder was the chief game designer.

So you now have 1 surviving tentacle of the Overmind, it has gradually grown and evolved into a new zerg unit. This new unit called the Overmindalisk is going to be going around slowly controlling zerg units and increasing its powers to resurrect the Overmind.
You also have a global power list, basically all kinds of cool spells that you unlock as you finish missions, which will than be available for use in each mission a few times.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2w511mo.jpg

Than there is the Zerg and Protoss artifact collection, that give you(the overmindalisk) the ability to evolve more spells for you.
You have two options here, either make existing spells more powerful or "evolve" new ones.

When you get up to around the 16th mission you are now powerful enough to summon the Overmind, you beat the mission, cut scene shows something goes wrong, instead of summoning the overmind Kerrigan starts transforming into the queen of blades again.

Now you need to choose who to control: Queen of Blades or the Overmindalisk and there is no going back.

From the Kerrigan perspective you start a fresh, trying to escape a small colony where Raynor left you to recover. There are dominion and zerg forces everywhere, you are to carefully try to get away, all while controlling more and more zerg to help you escape.
There would be 5 missions after the first Kerrigan one where she gains spells and powers to combat the Overmindalisk and gain full control of the Zerg swarm.

If you choose the Overmindalisk path you continue with all your powers and spells, but your control over the Zerg is diminishing and powers weakening, you now must find Kerrigan and Kill her, so that you can try to summon the overmind again.

All the paths lead to one massive battle between Kerrigan and the Overmindalisk.

After 5 missions in which the overmindalisk gets close to Kerrigan a final battle mission between them starts.

Mission 21: (Kerrigan chosen path): Destroy the Overmindalisk and raign supreme of the Zerg.
Mission 21: (overmindalisk chosen path): Destroy Kerrigan and summon the overmind.

Mission outcome of any path: Kerrigan has only shortly been transformed again to zerg and her powers are weak, she can't stand and is about to be destroyed, when all of a sudden she receives a transmission - its Raynor and knowing what Zerathul told him, he comes to save Kerrigan. Cut scene begins, raynor's Hyperion devastates the surrounding zerg forces and land with his army to kill the overmindalisk.

From there on you play 4 missions as Terran and need to destroy the overmindalisk.

Once those missions are finished Kerrigan attack raynor forces in a cut scene and he is forces to escape.

But at a secret dominion research lab the hybrids get loose and the hybrid in the WOL binus mission is the one who sets them free.

The battle against the hybrids starts.
Mission 26, 27, 28 are all fights against the Hybrids, but the zerg keep loosing.
Missions 29: Kerrigan must escape again with her forces and regroup with all her forces, but the protoss start attacking the zerg as well as the dominion and raynor also comes.
Its a 4 way fight, with Kerrigan getting help from Raynor, but fighting against the Dominion, Protoss and Hybrids.

Epilogue: Kerrigan succeeds and escapes, but all forces, except the Hybrids are ravaged and with heavy losses, the future looks grim and the Hybrids look set to destroy everything...

Arkalis
08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Crazy idea; really crazy

No offense; in fact, I enjoyed it and would love it to become a campaign of any game other than SC2

Hav0x
08-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah... Interesting idea but not for sc2. We will be playing as Kerrigan I believe so it wouldn't really work.

DutyFree
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, my predictions center around what we learned in the WoL campaign so

***DON'T READ, SPOILERS***

In the WoL Zeratul missions, we learned that the Overmind could not stop itself from trying to destroy the Protoss, so it infested Kerrigan in because she could overcome that mentality, so that when the hybrids come the Protoss and Zerg can band together instead of being separate and fighting on two fronts. BUT, at the end of WoL, Kerrigan was de-infested and turned human again. My thought is that at the end of HotS, Kerrigan will voluntarily become re-infested in order to lead the zerg away from destruction. This seems like a good heartbreaking moment for an ending, and sets the stage for LotV well.

I don't know who the players will be playing as, unless Kerrigan is infested at the beginning, which is unlikely. Maybe a new overmind that is forming? In that case, though, the player will be truly on the "evil" side - if Kerrigan does not lead the zerg, then the universe will kinda end.

Thoughts? things I may have overlooked?

Hav0x
08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, my predictions center around what we learned in the WoL campaign so

***DON'T READ, SPOILERS***

In the WoL Zeratul missions, we learned that the Overmind could not stop itself from trying to destroy the Protoss, so it infested Kerrigan in because she could overcome that mentality, so that when the hybrids come the Protoss and Zerg can band together instead of being separate and fighting on two fronts. BUT, at the end of WoL, Kerrigan was de-infested and turned human again. My thought is that at the end of HotS, Kerrigan will voluntarily become re-infested in order to lead the zerg away from destruction. This seems like a good heartbreaking moment for an ending, and sets the stage for LotV well.

I don't know who the players will be playing as, unless Kerrigan is infested at the beginning, which is unlikely. Maybe a new overmind that is forming? In that case, though, the player will be truly on the "evil" side - if Kerrigan does not lead the zerg, then the universe will kinda end.

Thoughts? things I may have overlooked?I don't think she is going to just become reinfested. I think she still has some control over the Zerg even after being deinfested. Remember she is a pretty powerful psychic, and being infested could have augmented those natural abilities. In HotS I believe that we will be playing as Kerrigan as she tries to grow her powers to regain control of more and more of the swarm.

Another reason I don't think she will be reinfested is because there isn't anyone controlling the Zerg to infest her. Remember that there is a special process that Kerrigan went through to become infested in the first place. Some random Zerg isn't going to do something like that.

kyr200
08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
So I'm guessing that Kerrigan is going to try to take back control of the swarm with what little physic powers shes got left. Then as you gradually take back the swarm, she regains more of her physic powers.

nautilus
08-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Perhaps we get to control the swarm as almost a pawn against the hybrids, or whatever other faction Raynor and Kerrigan are fighting. I just don't see how Kerrigan to could reinfested. Plus, it would make the whole first game seem really pointless, unless there was some crazy awesome plot twist.

Zoar
08-21-2010, 12:11 AM
well the zerg do have a biological imperative to obey her....

Kaiser
08-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Kerrigan isn't totally deinfested.

KillaKhan
08-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Destroy Kerrigan? I don't think so.
LEAAAAVE KERRIIIGAAAAN ALOOOOOOOONE.
*sobs*

LegacyofTerra
08-21-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm actually wondering what state the Zerg will be in, once the campaign starts. A huge number, supposedly the main force of Zerg got wiped out instantly while on Char, if I understood it correctly. Therefore, they might need to bolster their numbers significantly, in order to even be a player in large conflicts anymore.
Also, Valerian is in possession of an artifact that can destroy enormous amounts of Zerg. If it is still functional, he might want to eradicate the rest of the species as well, for the mere threat potential they have when left unchecked.
Then again, it might be depleted and only the Zerg in close proximity to the artifact might have been affected, so the writers needn't worry about that load of Deus ex Machina again.

Junzou
08-21-2010, 04:35 AM
[...] Overmindalisk [...]

Saw that and stopped reading.

senervo
08-21-2010, 06:34 AM
for the new expanison, i'm wondering if they'll be adding infested protoss to the arsnenal...

as for your ideas... ah...
having spells would be cool, but would it be right to rely mostly on spells in an rts when the spells don't count as a unit spell...?

ProtossHierarch
08-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Saw that and stopped reading.

Ditto.

And I thought it was made clear that the Protoss cannot be infected.
But they apparently can be absorbed, that was the Overmind's plan (at least in SC1, not sure how that will fit in SC2).

Crazy_Jonny
08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Kerrigan isn't totally deinfested.

If you read the ending text (you beat the game then come back to single player), it says she was restored to her original form, meaning she is deinfested. I'm guessing her hair was probably not natural before infestation and I think that would be the explanation for why she looks like that.

I'd like to see the overmind come back, but thats more of a wish than what I think will happen - which is Kerrigan leading the swarm, infested or not.

dustinbrowder
08-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I can't imagine Kerrigan leading the swarm deinfested. One bullet could kill her, don't you think the Hybrids would shoot some of their ultra powerful and advanced lasers and kill her with ease?

I would be so disappointed if she actually leads the Zerg deinfested, it would be just ridiculous. What about other psyonic people, can't they just randomly come and start controlling the zerg, all the zerg ultra powerful stature goes to the trash can.
All along they've actually been puppet dolls, who can be controlled be psychic humans.

Spartan13
08-21-2010, 08:56 AM
It would be equally if not even more ridiculous to just negate the WoL campaign and infest Kerrigan again.

nautilus
08-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I can't imagine Kerrigan leading the swarm deinfested. One bullet could kill her, don't you think the Hybrids would shoot some of their ultra powerful and advanced lasers and kill her with ease?

I would be so disappointed if she actually leads the Zerg deinfested, it would be just ridiculous. What about other psyonic people, can't they just randomly come and start controlling the zerg, all the zerg ultra powerful stature goes to the trash can.
All along they've actually been puppet dolls, who can be controlled be psychic humans.

It would be equally if not even more ridiculous to just negate the WoL campaign and infest Kerrigan again.

Basically this. Deinfested Kerrigan leading the swarm is lame, but to have her become reinfested again would make me want to bang my forehead against my desk repeatedly. I honestly cannot image a single reasonable, well written scenario where Kerrigan is reinfested in a believable fashion.

Dalarsco
08-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Why is it so stupid for her to lead the swarm without being infested? It's not like Mengsk is a burly guy in Marine armor. Leading doesn't mean she has to be on the front lines.

ProtossHierarch
08-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe Kerrigan is no longer infected, but became a "Zerg / Human hybrid". From the very beginning, Kerrigan was no ordinary infected and now we know why the Overmind was so interested in her. It's possible that the Overmind made it so Kerrigan will forever be imprinted with a portion of Zerg dna.

The fact that she can evolve as pointed out by the info we have in HotS, shows that she still has zerg elements in her. So I thik she woul be best qualified as a zerg human hybrid.

LordShotGun
08-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Considering she still had her zergy hair, I personally think its gonna be her controling the swarm without being reinfested but everytime her control over the swarm increases she loses a little bit of herself again.

This way it may bring more story into the game where kerrigan feels she is losing her humanity to regain/remain in control fo the swarm.

Also thinking of the actual game play, having kerriagn relearn to control certain units of the zerg gives blizzard a way to include tutorials like the first 2-3 missions in WoL instead of having ultralisks and such right in the first mission. This also allows blizzard to give us more campagin unique units, such as zerg creatures augmented by terran tech. Armor plated ultralisks with guns mounted on its shell anyone?

Noctis
08-21-2010, 01:04 PM
im confident in my opinion that at the end of SC2, the protoss and zerg will unite and we will have the new xel'naga, opening the door for a new evil race, while consolidating zerg and protoss into the new alien hi-tech race.

dustinbrowder
08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
im confident in my opinion that at the end of SC2, the protoss and zerg will unite and we will have the new xel'naga, opening the door for a new evil race, while consolidating zerg and protoss into the new alien hi-tech race.

Ugh I hate it. Its such a lame thing, without a drop of drama and emotional attachment.

If Fenix can get killed, than ressurected, than killed than ressurected than killed and still alive in SC2, why can't kerrigan be reinfested?

Articorse
08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
This whole debate seems a little pointless to me right now. It's been stated that you will control Kerrigan in HotS, and seeing as how it's the Zerg campaign, obviously she'll be leading them. Blizzard have also stated that the campaign will be akin to an RPG in that you will constantly be improving Kerrigan's own mutations. Which means she IS still part Zerg.

And I don't think the text at the end of the campaign saying Kerrigan is 'back to her old self' even refers to her deinfestation, but rather it means that she has her old personality back.

Also, I don't know why you all keep refering to the artifact as something meant to completely turn her human again. Sure, the characters in the campaign were pretty convinced that was the point, but they weren't the ones that made the artifact, were they?

I think the artifact did exactly what it was supposed to do - deinfest her mind, while still keeping her body a hybrid between terran and zerg, so that she could lead the zerg in the path they were meant to take, instead of killing and assimilating all other species.

Also, plot projection - there will be a very key moment in the campaign, which greatly bolsters Kerrigan's forces and puts her on the path to redemption in the eyes of the Protoss(at least Zeratul and/or Artanis). That moment will be when she visits Aiur to gain control of the Zerg there and give the Protoss back their homeworld, as that is probably the place with the largest concentration of Zerg anywhere, now that all/most of Char's Zerg are dead. This is also the event that will allow the Protoss to have Dragoons in LotV, since they can only be made on Aiur.

Spartan13
08-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Considering she still had her zergy hair, I personally think its gonna be her controling the swarm without being reinfested but everytime her control over the swarm increases she loses a little bit of herself again.

This way it may bring more story into the game where kerrigan feels she is losing her humanity to regain/remain in control fo the swarm.

Also thinking of the actual game play, having kerriagn relearn to control certain units of the zerg gives blizzard a way to include tutorials like the first 2-3 missions in WoL instead of having ultralisks and such right in the first mission. This also allows blizzard to give us more campagin unique units, such as zerg creatures augmented by terran tech. Armor plated ultralisks with guns mounted on its shell anyone?

So basically tomato tomahto

Louis
11-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Why is it a bad thing for human Kerrigan to control Zerg? She never controlled shit before removing the inhibitor after infestation, and no other terran has had her exposer to the zerg... so maybe Kerrigan really is just that powerful a psionic that she has a natural control? So yeah, what's the problem here?

Articorse
11-07-2010, 12:04 PM

I don't know about the 'opening the door for a new evil race', but yeah, I'm pretty sure the end of LotV will either directly show the merging of Zerg and Protoss or heavily hint at it.

Either that, or what might be cooler, would be that the protoss and zerg simply refuse to merge, basically flipping off the Xel'Naga and ending their cycle of death and rebirth.

I remember reading a post a while ago that actually sounded really cool to me. If we combine it with the previous idea of the protoss and zerg just not merging, but still resolve the other outstanding issues - namely the hybrids and the Dark Voice, maybe the inevitable StarCraft 3 might take place many, many years in the future and we can have a switch in the roles - the zerg might now be sortta the 'good guys', seeing as the one controlling them is good, but the protoss might revert back to their judgemental jerk Conclave selves and be the aggressors and 'bad guys'.

I think it might be an idea worth exploring.

@Louis

Yeah, while that is a possibility, lore states that no human psychic can come close to a protoss. Maybe an incredibly powerful one like Kerrigan might have the same level of psychic power as, say, a Zealot. Hell, even if she's as powerful as a High Templar, that's still far below Protoss like Zeratul, probably below Artanis, as well.

So if she controls the Zerg just with her own human psychic powers, she can't even hope to compare to the control the Protoss will have on them.

Andrew
11-07-2010, 12:13 PM
This whole debate seems a little pointless to me right now. It's been stated that you will control Kerrigan in HotS, and seeing as how it's the Zerg campaign, obviously she'll be leading them. Blizzard have also stated that the campaign will be akin to an RPG in that you will constantly be improving Kerrigan's own mutations. Which means she IS still part Zerg.

And I don't think the text at the end of the campaign saying Kerrigan is 'back to her old self' even refers to her deinfestation, but rather it means that she has her old personality back.

Why would you post this? Yes Kerrigan is obviously going to be HOTS like Blizzard stated but it's such a conversation killer, for example yes you could be kerriagian but what if you had the choice at mission 4 to be someone else such as duran or a new character? IDK yer intitled to your opinion just I think the post was more of a conversation killer then benifitual to the discussion.

-Side note Armor ultras with mounted turrets would be AWESOME!

Articorse
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Why would you post this? Yes Kerrigan is obviously going to be HOTS like Blizzard stated but it's such a conversation killer, for example yes you could be kerriagian but what if you had the choice at mission 4 to be someone else such as duran or a new character? IDK yer intitled to your opinion just I think the post was more of a conversation killer then benifitual to the discussion.

-Side note Armor ultras with mounted turrets would be AWESOME!

That's just it - I see no point in continuing a discussion about something which is pretty much already set in stone. I was referring to the part about whether Kerrigan has been completely deinfested or not. Obviously that's not the case. If she has been completely deinfested... then I have no idea what kind of asspull Blizzard will have to perform to somehow keep things consistent with her still being able to control Zerg. That, and they have stated that the whole campaign will be about HER mutations. Complete deinfestation nullifies that. If pointing out the pointlessness of a discussion is a conversation killer, so be it.

Sure, you could have side missions, in fact I'm pretty sure there will be side missions where you play as someone else. Most likely those will be terran missions, since in the terran campaign they were protoss, which means that in the protoss campaign there will be zerg missions, all of which makes sense. Raynor lives through Zeratul's experience, Raynor helps Kerrigan, Kerrigan helps Zeratul.

- Side note: Hell yes. And bunker monsters!

mr. peasant
11-07-2010, 06:16 PM
That's just it - I see no point in continuing a discussion about something which is pretty much already set in stone. I was referring to the part about whether Kerrigan has been completely deinfested or not. Obviously that's not the case. If she has been completely deinfested... then I have no idea what kind of asspull Blizzard will have to perform to somehow keep things consistent with her still being able to control Zerg. That, and they have stated that the whole campaign will be about HER mutations. Complete deinfestation nullifies that. If pointing out the pointlessness of a discussion is a conversation killer, so be it.

Sure, you could have side missions, in fact I'm pretty sure there will be side missions where you play as someone else. Most likely those will be terran missions, since in the terran campaign they were protoss, which means that in the protoss campaign there will be zerg missions, all of which makes sense. Raynor lives through Zeratul's experience, Raynor helps Kerrigan, Kerrigan helps Zeratul.

- Side note: Hell yes. And bunker monsters!

As Blizzard has previously hinted at, just because Kerrigan is no longer infested, that doesn't mean she's completely Terran either. Aside from Blizzard, nobody - be they within the Starcraft universe or outside - knows what the Artifact has done to Kerrigan. She could still be evolving because of it, but into what?

Articorse
11-07-2010, 06:52 PM
As Blizzard has previously hinted at, just because Kerrigan is no longer infested, that doesn't mean she's completely Terran either. Aside from Blizzard, nobody - be they within the Starcraft universe or outside - knows what the Artifact has done to Kerrigan. She could still be evolving because of it, but into what?

That would be one hell of a spin, my friend. So the artifact, instead of simply removing all the zerg from Kerrigan, has instead REPLACED the zerg with something else that can also 'evolve'? Notice that they used the word 'evolve', not 'develop' or 'learn' or something like that. This implies something that changes over time, not something that is, say, unlocked with sufficient willpower/knowledge/effort.

GnaReffotsirk
11-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I think the artifact mutated her even more to something else. It's a xel'nagan artifact right? Xel'naga made the Zerg and have plans for it before the overmind went rouge. Now, kerrigan has fallen subject to that. The new overmind has become.

SC2: Heart of the Swarm -- coming this..., when it's done.

Louis
11-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Articourse... I suspect that I know what happened to Kerrigan. figure that her infestation didn't really do a lot to her abilities. Remember how she coudn't even psi storm until removing the inhibitor? I believe the overmind concentrated the psionics of several ghost academies worth onto Kerrigan. Remember what Hanson said at the end of one of the Tosh missions? She said that becoming too powerfun too quickly can cause a psionic to become psychotic... and, well she certainly seems rather psychotic for most of SCI.

I can't really prove any of this, but what I saw in the games helps to back my theory up, but I haven't delved into the books much.

Articorse
11-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Articourse... I suspect that I know what happened to Kerrigan. figure that her infestation didn't really do a lot to her abilities. Remember how she coudn't even psi storm until removing the inhibitor? I believe the overmind concentrated the psionics of several ghost academies worth onto Kerrigan. Remember what Hanson said at the end of one of the Tosh missions? She said that becoming too powerfun too quickly can cause a psionic to become psychotic... and, well she certainly seems rather psychotic for most of SCI.

I can't really prove any of this, but what I saw in the games helps to back my theory up, but I haven't delved into the books much.

That's actually a pretty good hypothesis, I like it. But I would rather see that incorporated along with Kerrigan still being at least partly zerg, not 100% human.

And a side note - why does everyone keep misspelling my name? There's no 'u' in it. This same typo has popped up so much I'm actually thinking of changing it to 'Articourse' just to see if people will spell it right then.

sadpanda.jpg

cmss08
11-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I might get stoned to death for this but..

What if the part of Kerrigan that's still altered can serve as a catalyst for further mutating Zerg she gets in very close proximity to into creatures more akin to her new persona. So while there's still the out of control Zerg out there, she could "capture" individual Zerg and somehow culture them to become different/modified strains. Thus, while playing as Kerrigan, you could have campaign-only units that are of, at least, a different morphology than the Zerg we all know. She'd then eventually have her small personal brood. Some missions could involve you having to isolate and capture various Zerg units while evolving Kerrigan and increasing her powers.

dustinbrowder
11-08-2010, 01:57 AM
I might get stoned to death for this but..

What if the part of Kerrigan that's still altered can serve as a catalyst for further mutating Zerg she gets in very close proximity to into creatures more akin to her new persona. So while there's still the out of control Zerg out there, she could "capture" individual Zerg and somehow culture them to become different/modified strains. Thus, while playing as Kerrigan, you could have campaign-only units that are of, at least, a different morphology than the Zerg we all know. She'd then eventually have her small personal brood. Some missions could involve you having to isolate and capture various Zerg units while evolving Kerrigan and increasing her powers.

Huh? She can absolutely go and take control of any Zerg units, many or little no problem. Probably needs to kill few broods, before completely taking control.

But yeah, that what she'll do in the expansion, most of the time.

cmss08
11-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Oh. I was actually operating under the assumption that she'd at least be a bit too weak to unlock that much of what she's capable of. At the start, anyway. Was also thinking about the supposed new Zerg faction mentioned in another thread. By the way, if the game starts while she's on the Hyperion, could the mini-Zerg in the lab be of some use?

dustinbrowder
11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh. I was actually operating under the assumption that she'd at least be a bit too weak to unlock that much of what she's capable of. At the start, anyway. Was also thinking about the supposed new Zerg faction mentioned in another thread. By the way, if the game starts while she's on the Hyperion, could the mini-Zerg in the lab be of some use?

Well obviously, that way the campaign would end in 1 mission. So yeah, she is slowly to get control of the swarm.