PDA

View Full Version : Improving my vs Terran.

Olsson
08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I am a terran player. I play in bronze league and am a noob. I know few strategies and my micro skills are only ok. I need tips and tricks, I need some serious scanning of my replays and tell me what to improve please!

SDangeR
08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
After watching the replays the first thing that strikes me that needs major improvement is spending your minerals. The reaper harass was good; it definitely wouldn't work that well in games in higher leagues. For example I don't LET the terran player make that many reapers before I strike somehow. Mid-game you had like 1200 minerals and nothing in production. I'd recommend at least a barracks w/ reactor pumping out marines, since they are like your fodder unit. Another key is to build expansions. Since your opponent didn't really produce much to scout and counter on, I can't really give you any more tips about your unit composition. Banshees are decent enough against a siege tank. Another thing I noticed is that you don't really use key bindings too much. They actually have some tutorial modes that you can learn a lot about them.

I play toss mostly, but I usually keybind my nexus to 4, main group to 1, scount/phoenix to 2, 3 is observer, and 5 and 6 are robo, and stargate.

Terran I usually do command center as 4, all barracks on 3, main group 1, special units 2, etc. etc. Also learning hotkeys helps immensely

Hope this helps a bit.

SD

Olsson
08-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks alot. I will be posting my improving against zerg and toss I will need feedback and strat suggestions!

dejai
08-16-2010, 08:50 AM
From what I know about TvT since I have been playing against it a lot on ladder is that it is all about who controls the airspace with vikings. A lot of mech play goes on in TvT and you see mass tanks and mass vikings. You use the vikings to give your tanks the additional sight range over the opponent and so it is this constant battle between that and trying to do drops in their base and gain positioning. If you go infantry against terran you can get demolished by a reasonable mech player at least to my knowledge however constant marine production of 1 barracks I have found gives me the advantage in the air fight as the marines can shoot the vikings. Anyway from my experiences against diamond league terrans it is all about air control and using that to your advantage.

Hammy
08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Yes minerals are rarely the problem in TvT. You can do some cute tactics, but in the end it comes down to tanks/vikings to finish your opponent.

On a side note, in regards to SDangeR's advice, since you've got tons of minerals and too little gas, making that reactor on the rax is a waste of 50gas. Just get a second rax, or a half dozen if you have to, they're well worth it to deter any banshee play on your tanks if you ever lost air control.

Your main focus is tanks and vikings, and then manoeuvering around your opponent and keeping him from getting more gas than you.
Unused minerals go into making expansions, marines and turrets if necessary.

SDangeR
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm sort of learning here too, I wanted to play Terran, but Protoss became my forte after I let it grow on me. So TvT, do you guys usually go heavy mech, and like you (Hammy) said, outmaneuver your opponent trying to prevent expansions and such? Just wondering, I'd love to try more Terran stuff out.

SD

Hammy
08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes that's definitely how most of my TvTs have gone. There are some exceptions, and sometimes you can try and gain an early advantage by opening with something else (a quick marauder drop, early banshees, etc...) but my opponent and I naturally gravitate to tanks and vikings most of the time. If you lose air domination you can still win by carefully falling back, focusing on tanks and marines and getting a stronger ground army, but then you're giving up position which can be exploited by a good player.

When I play terran, TvT is my favorite matchup because you can always come back with a nice play, and the strategic options are limitless.