PDA

View Full Version : How exactly does the ladder work?

Sminkly
08-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Hi,

I'm an average sc2 player at best. In placement matches I was 3 2 up and got placed in silver. I played another 5 or 6 matches almost all of which were against favoured or slightly favoured opponents. I won a couple, lost more. I was about place 50 or so on the silver league. I won a game and I got promoted to gold.

So does any one have any idea how it all works, I would have assumed I'd have to get to the top of the league before being promoted.

Sminkly

TheEconomist
08-10-2010, 06:06 AM
You know, there's at least a dozen topics about this already. I'd like to help you because you seem nice but I think it would be better if you just ran a search.

Hav0x
08-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Hi,

I'm an average sc2 player at best. In placement matches I was 3 2 up and got placed in silver. I played another 5 or 6 matches almost all of which were against favoured or slightly favoured opponents. I won a couple, lost more. I was about place 50 or so on the silver league. I won a game and I got promoted to gold.

So does any one have any idea how it all works, I would have assumed I'd have to get to the top of the league before being promoted.

SminklyEvery so often it will asses a couple games you play and if you are completely destroying the people in your league it will promote you. If you are winning about 50/50 it will keep you where you are and if you are < 50/50 it will more than likely drop you down a league. Also it will occasionally match you against a higher league player to try figure out your skill level.

These first few weeks are going to be quite volatile until things get settled some.

TheRabidDeer
08-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Nobody knows exactly how the promotion system works, there are only theories. People are fairly sure that it isnt only based on wins, and some theorize that you need losses as well before you are promoted.

There is some evidence that you need to lose to be promoted too...
http://www.sc2ranks.com/ranks/all/platinum/1
Stabguy and Ownage are both drop hackers, but they have flawless records (56-0 and 49-0 respectively), but there are others there that obviously shouldnt be platinum (strelok and cauthonluck in particular) as they compete with the likes of IdrA and Huk.

Twilice
08-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Maybe it's because they are drophackers and they never get any in particular high points. (their opponents got the same amount of points, so if the system is matched in points it still finds them "equall")

*Note I HATE that kind of hackers and they should be permanently banned.

Sminkly
08-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi,

thanks for replies. (I realise now I should have searched, but it didn't occur to me.)

Thanks.

Sminkly

Hav0x
08-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Maybe it's because they are drophackers and they never get any in particular high points. (their opponents got the same amount of points, so if the system is matched in points it still finds them "equall")

*Note I HATE that kind of hackers and they should be permanently banned.They will be as soon as Blizzard finds out. And their whole battle.net account will be banned along with sc2.

pOtentiaLeaver
08-10-2010, 07:23 AM
u need to know some sort of bayesian stat to fully understand the match making and promotion system... just refer to the TL thread

TheRabidDeer
08-10-2010, 07:32 AM
u need to know some sort of bayesian stat to fully understand the match making and promotion system... just refer to the TL thread

The TL thread says they dont know how the promotion system works either.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=142211
Thats the thread he is talking about.

*Note I HATE that kind of hackers and they should be permanently banned.
Maybe. That still doesnt explain cauthonluck and strelok though :P

Both of these players are candidates for the pro league I think and they are still platinum.

Manik
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Probably don't have the required losses to get promoted.

TheEconomist
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
It makes sense that losses are required. I can remember a few times when I was promoted when I lost. I kind of stumped me for a while because when I was in the platinum league I was winning a whole hell of a lot more than I losing but it took awhile to get promoted. Finally, IIRC, I lost a game and got promoted.

SinsWage
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
It seems that it's feeling out your skill ceiling. I placed in silver at launch and worked my way to the top of my division against mostly even matches. Now I'm being placed against gold and platinum players and holding my own vs the golds and usually getting beaten by the plats. Once the system has determined that I'm not ready for plat but could do ok in gold I'll most likely get promoted.

Twilice
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, then it makes sense that you need to lose versus some players for the system to know if it should place you from silver to gold/plat/diamond.
But from platinum to diamond.... well.... maybe it's the secret pro-leauge :P