PDA

View Full Version : Please, for crying out loud, fix the design on main page and forum

Wankey
05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
As much as I'd like watching the huge ass graphics staring me in the face, it's really starting to get annoying. Please, optimize the the main page, it's wasting soo much space. I've mocked up some images to show the difference, they are quite a change and I believe enhance the website thousand fold.

Main Page:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9363/picture3zxo.jpg

Notice that you don't loose the "graphic" feel to the website, and somehow the website has become a lot busier and content focused? The graphic on top has not lost anything and you have a much focused top bar showing the title (much better placement, I actually couldn't spot the title on the first entry to this website). You also don't need to parade the Authorized BLizzard Fansite image because it's really pointless to the consumer. (however if you'd like you can put it somewhere there.

Forums:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2707/picture6tka.jpg

Again, nothing has changed, the graphic just made smaller, much more information is now accessable at a glance. The top bar even feels better IMO because the zealot looks more zealous. You can even make the top bar a little wider, and that'll be cool.

SpiderBrigade
05-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Gotta disagree on this one. They are already doing work on improving the forum interface, which is the one place where the site actually needs to be trim and information-focused because there is so much text and conversation there.

The main page has always been, and is intended to be, visual and flashy. That makes sense. Even during big events there is nothing like the level of information flow that there is on your average day in the forums. The front page is there to look awesome and be a portal to get into the various sections of the site. If you really want direct information access for news etc, there is a lovely RSS feed which you may use without graphical clutter in the reader of your choice.

DemolitionSquid
05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I disagree as well. I don't find the main page an issue. Is the forums which need revision.

Freespace
05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
And that's Tassadar :p

Seriously, I do understand your reluctance with a graphic intensive website. From an efficiency point of view, everything other than information is just eye-candy, but ScLegacy's always been about embracing graphics and having it all come together as one.

Gradius
05-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I think that Wankey's got a point, just not regarding the front page. Even with his front page revision, you still can't see the first news post, so it doesn't really accomplish anything. However, you can see what the first news post is in the "latest headlines" box either way. Plus, we like the huge header.

As far as the forums, yeah the banner should be made smaller vertically, but that's not our priority right now. There is so much other stuff that we have to do, but I'll add it to the list.

AJ
05-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Reminder: The Forum Header is already in fact shorter than what you originally asked for it to be, Gradius.

And, no. I think it's silly that you think a brand-new site design, immediately after launching is going to restructure itself to suit your desires. It's been said many times, in many places that the design is about Art not so much as the immediate access to navigation - it's part of the site, and something you have to adjust to if you're going to browse.

It's not going to change, especially on the main site.

Hamshank
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Both of his points are very valid and would help a lot. I also think it improves the look of the site.

Dauntless
05-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I kind of agree with the forum part, but not with the main site part.

Most of the time the users of sclegacy will spend on the site will be on the forums, so I agree that they should be easy to use and navigate. But that's afaik being worked on.

But why the rush? The site just launched, and AJ has been doing alot of good work. /applaude @ AJ!

LordofAscension
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I too would like to applaud AJ for his hard work here. We are working on fixing some of the forum issues/complaints.

But as I stated to you on BF Wankey we need some construction here. Don't like the big header? What can we throw on the big header to enhance content? I understand your frustration, I really do but just squishing stuff isn't going to solve the underlying issue.

~LoA

Wankey
05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Reminder: The Forum Header is already in fact shorter than what you originally asked for it to be, Gradius.

And, no. I think it's silly that you think a brand-new site design, immediately after launching is going to restructure itself to suit your desires. It's been said many times, in many places that the design is about Art not so much as the immediate access to navigation - it's part of the site, and something you have to adjust to if you're going to browse.

Alright well I guess you just have one less visitor then.

Gradius
05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I too would like to applaud AJ for his hard work here.
Me three. We owe AJ a big one for all the time he's taken out of his schedule to help us out.

My only part in designing the forum header was the suggestion of the image. But at this point I can't really emphasize how much I don't care about the vertical length of the forum header. :P

DemolitionSquid
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Alright well I guess you just have one less visitor then.

Good. We don't want crybabies here anyway.

<_<

>_>

Besides me, of course.

Edfishy
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I actually agree with your suggested change of moving the top navigation bar down the the middle, underneath the header image. Mostly because that top navigation is so irritating to have to use (at least to me). Overall I think it'd suit its purposes better if it were in a more accessible location.

... Something we'll have to think about changing in the future.

Wankey
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Sorry to bring this up again, but that's a pretty bad attitude to web development.

I've been in this industry for about the last 8 years and making the customer "get used to" the website is not a good thing. It should be a fluid design with many things which are intuitive and very easily discoverable.

Also like to see if we can do something about the speed. Compared to web 2.0 websites, this website is *slow*. Probably a coding error or a redundant server call somewhere.

Pandonetho
07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I've heard a million people on the net have been "in the industry for x years."

Seriously, you can't please everyone. They change the site to suit your needs, then what? You got x amount of people who are going to cry about the change.

And I'm perfectly fine with the way the site is now. If they change it, I suppose they'll have "one less visitor."

See how it works both ways?

Wankey
07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Okay well, I've mocked up a new front page. I understand that the images are not negotiable so I decided to use some better design principles.

Firstly, the most important information in now on the top left rather than right. Most people read from left to right so the first thing they'll see is the left most part of the page.

I've also enlarged SCL's logo and made it much more readable and centered.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7324/informationn.jpg

Also moved the add news/rss stuff to the middle bar to give the graphic less clutter. Probably should remove the search function since it barely does anything right now.

Perfecttear
07-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I have just one question or a proposal, when you are posting new news on the main site, could you if posible post just a link to pictures and not post the whole picture, since it takes some time to load the main page for me, when there are multiple news with pictures, or if it is posible to use hide button, so my computer doesn't have to download all the pictures. I now have just a direct link to the forums, since i am to lazy to wait 3-6 seconds, for the main page to completely load :P

Wankey
07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
That is a problem with the back end coding. Either that or the pictures aren't being compressed very well. If you have a high enough bandwidth, it should load immediately.
If you go to image heavy sites like engadget/gizmodo, they load instantly whereas SCL freezes for a bit then loads. Obvious coding issue there, probably will take a look.

Maul
08-06-2009, 11:57 AM
The front page is designed terribly imo. I'm running at 1920x1080 and all I see on the frontpage is the headline of the first news item and about 4 lines of it's body.

You should NEVER have to scroll down on a main page to see important content, it's just a horrid design practice.

Neo
08-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Hiya folks. For those of you running Firefox and Adblock, why not just block the images if they annoy you so much? For the more enterprising among you you could even customize the layout via Greasemonkey, :D

i know, i'm totally late.

Blazur
08-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Hiya folks. For those of you running Firefox and Adblock, why not just block the images if they annoy you so much? For the more enterprising among you you could even customize the layout via Greasemonkey, :D

Good suggestion, but the problem is the entire header is one big graphic. Blocking this eliminates your navigation on the site. But if all you care about is the homepage or forums it's no big deal.

Alzarath
08-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't really find either an issue. Not once have I thought, Hey, this is a bit too big. Either you have dial up (which, how do you even play StarCraft with that?), or you're too lazy to scroll down a few inches. I find your cropped ones a lot less appealing tbh.

Maul
08-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't really find either an issue. Not once have I thought, Hey, this is a bit too big. Either you have dial up (which, how do you even play StarCraft with that?), or you're too lazy to scroll down a few inches. I find your cropped ones a lot less appealing tbh.

- SC came out before broadband was standard
- Most people are lazy

Gradius
08-22-2009, 09:28 AM
You can see the latest 5 headlines in that box upon loading the page. We should probably make this more visible i.e. white font instead of gray. You have to scroll down to read more content on any website anyway.

Maul
08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
To be more constructive with my earlier comment, don't get me wrong, the design is very nice to look at, it's just not very user friendly. If you look at any major site for anything, 90% of the time you'll never have to scroll down to find what you've come looking for. It just makes the site so much easier to use for your users, which are 100% the reason you run the website.

Dragoonx
08-25-2009, 12:00 AM
I just want to say the site looks awesome. The only reason to scroll down on the main page is to look at recent news or click on the archives area. The top navigation menu works fine.

LordofAscension
08-25-2009, 12:23 AM
So you don't read the news posts?

~LoA