PDA

View Full Version : June 22, 2009 Press Event

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Full Article. (http://sclegacy.com/news/29-blizz/426-june-22-2009-press-event)

Alex06
06-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Awesome! =D
Definately worth the wait.

EDIT: Also, first. <_<
Can't believe it went up INSTANTLY at 3:01:00 AM xD

Um...Also, the video doesn't work, it says it's private and I can't see it.

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 02:06 AM
HAHAHAH, I AM TERRIBLE, FIXED NOW.

Sorry, forgot in panic.

EDIT: It would be muchly appreciated if those of you who are currently also using other fansite forums would link to the main page article. Show us off a bit. :D

RainbowToeSocks
06-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Pretty rad
is that a new muta model? looks diff to me
also
spine crawler attacks weird
and CC lifts off too cartoony to me

ANYWHO
bed time
work in the morning and im super high so peace

The Communist
06-29-2009, 02:21 AM
I dont like the new model for the spine crawler. I thought the old one looked a lot better. This one is too bulky and strange. It was also strange with no music. But I liked the hellions and the corrupters very much!

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Dude... um... I really don't know what to think.

The art looks... just... wow.

But the gameplay decisions are so FRIGGIN WEIRD.

The whole thing just feels so... erg... unnatural in some way. Like things aren't where they're supposed to be. (And the actual... drawing of the tech-trees is confusing. It makes it look like the Armory builds the Thor, etc.)

Like the corrupter evolving into the Swarm Guardian. Brilliant idea, but it... totally doesn't fit. And the Roach being Tier 2 and the Lurker being tier 3 is also kinda strange.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
It seems like blizzard was planning on unveiling the BNet stuff (as was made apparent by the OP), but realized it wasn't ready and threw some shit together at the last second. While I think it's interesting that certain units are getting new models and certain units have new abilities, nothing is set until the beta (as they mentioned several times from the Q&A). I'd much rather get some info on what's up with BNet 2.0.

Overall, i'd say pretty disappointing.

Hav0x
06-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Giant Bomb has a video interview with Dustin.
http://www.giantbomb.com/starcraft-ii-multiplayer-interview/17-927/

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Dunno, personally it looks better than ever to me.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, the game does look better than ever. SCL also did a great job covering it, but there was a lot of build up over little to nothing (although, most of that build up was due to my own and other people's rabid posting).

PosImpos
06-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Here's what I want to know:

Why wait a week to give us this info? There's nothing so important here it couldn't have been told to us a week ago.

Unless it coincides with something Blizzard is doing today.

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 02:33 AM
We tried to keep our own hype of this down a little. Personally I love the video and screenshots and Zero's personal account is pretty in-depth (final editting now, done in a second), but the information - I can see why you'd be disappointed, it's kinda like just a big Q&A batch. Then again, it's better than nothing at all; and this could be our final pre-beta glance... so.

EDIT: In response to "why now, not a week ago", I believe (me, guessing) that it's because there were other press events the rest of the week, for non fansites (general gaming press) and they wanted a level playing field. Possibly it allowed information to be sent out to those that could not attend as well?

DOUBLE EDIT: Zero's article now available.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 02:36 AM
We tried to keep our own hype of this down a little. Personally I love the video and screenshots and Zero's personal account is pretty in-depth (final editting now, done in a second), but the information - I can see why you'd be disappointed, it's kinda like just a big Q&A batch. Then again, it's better than nothing at all; and this could be our final pre-beta glance... so.

EDIT: In response to "why now, not a week ago", I believe (me, guessing) that it's because there were other press events the rest of the week, for non fansites (general gaming press) and they wanted a level playing field. Possibly it allowed information to be sent out to those that could not attend as well?

We can only hope :).

PsiWarp
06-29-2009, 02:39 AM
I. Love. You. ChaosSmurf.

-Psi

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 02:40 AM
The first stop on the press event was Blizzard's theater room. Here, the press were given a unique opportunity to see a battle report done live, with the commentators Dustin Browder and Robert Simpson in the room, doing their commentating right there.

Wow. Live commentary... that's just... um...wow.

Kim declared "GG" and the first match was over.

Oh my god.

Sounds awesome anyway.

mgcemir
06-29-2009, 02:43 AM
i liked this update alot, wasnt expecting much knowing blizzard, but u guys did amazing job in covering all the small bits.

Hegemon54
06-29-2009, 03:00 AM
I noticed you both avoided talking about any sort of beta release, I'm sure it came up in some way, care to explain?

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 03:01 AM
I noticed you both avoided talking about any sort of beta release, I'm sure it came up in some way, care to explain?

Explain what?

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Explain what?

What was said about the beta.

But I think I already know the answer: nothing.

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 03:05 AM
What was said about the beta.

But I think I already know the answer: nothing.

Bingo.

EDIT: So move on ;) That there tentacle crawler sure is interesting.

Runei
06-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I like the new spine crawler... Hellions are insanely fast, faster than speed upg zlings..

Hegemon54
06-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Bingo.

EDIT: So move on ;) That there tentacle crawler sure is interesting.

So you are telling me all these media people went and no one asked about the beta and what their target release date is or anything? Bullshit.

Dustin said in the G4 interview its "very close" but it had to be discussed in more detail while you were there.

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 03:42 AM
So you are telling me all these media people went and no one asked about the beta and what their target release date is or anything? Bullshit.

Dustin said in the G4 interview its "very close" but it had to be discussed in more detail while you were there.

No it didn't. I'm sure someone asked, and they were told something exactly the same. People need to get off their betafetish. It'll happen, it'll happen soon, but it isn't happening now and we didn't learn anything new. You really think we wouldn't have put it in the articles? You don't think it'd be a headline? That's pretty insulting.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 03:52 AM

Your harrassment's pretty unwarranted, being that SCL is just telling you what they saw. Do you think that multiple websites (there are other sites that have posted their press releases) would lie about something like this?

If you watch the video that was posted earlier in the thread (and quit posting like a fucking moron), you would see that Dustin Browder answered your question: "When it's ready". Big surprise there.

I don't quite know where you got such a sense of entitlement from.

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 04:32 AM
Hmm... Is it just me or does Black Hole now lock enemy units in stasis, redistributing them to the center of the vortex without directly harming them? If so, Blizzard stole my idea!! :D

To further integrate the Mothership, its abilities should carry a degree of synergy, both amongst themselves and with other units:

Vortex ~ Draws enemy ground and air units to a specific location similarly to Black Hole but does not destroy or harm them. Synergizes well with High Templar and Colossi.

Overload ~ Exactly like the old Phoenix's ability except without unit limitation or the inactive period. To be used in combination with Vortex, chase away enemy air units or to support anti-air attacks.

Time Bomb ~ Freezes time within a fixed radius of the Mothership, causing all units inside to undergo stasis but are immune to all attacks. Synergizes with melee units by helping buy time for them to approach enemy positions. (http://blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=24043)

By any chance is Blizzard hiring? :p

RamiZ
06-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I really love the Corruptors i must say :D and new Turret they are making ^^ Also i like new Spine Crawlers, they are very Zergy :)

Adam_Ant
06-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Great job on the articles! It seems like the game is really shaping up! :)

flabortast
06-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Is it possible to download the HD video?

Blazur
06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Thank you for the report, Zero and Chaos. I'd like to share my thoughts on the info revealed today:

Great:
- No resource trading!!
- Graphics are looking stunning, especially the new slimy Zerg buildings. The game is a feast for your eyes.
- Great sound effects. Love the sound the Protoss Cannon makes as it attacks
- Tech trees look great, and I'm very fond of the new Terran merc building. Thank god they got rid of the old merc haven bar.
- Mothership and hellions are looking pretty fun to use.
- Ultralisk headbutt on buildings is cool. Hope to be able to justify using this unit more frequently because its just badass.
- The havok physics is such a wonderful addition to this game. I really hope it remains for multiplayer because its stunning.
- Amazing tilesets. The art team really needs to be recognized for their amazing work on this front.

Disappointing:
- Team colored Psi blades. I suppose I could get used to it considering the benefit it gives to visual distinction.
- Not really fond of the new Spine Crawler attack. Looks hokey. Part of me wishes it remained as it was in SC1, and we all just ignored fishy things like it attacking over gaps and water.
- Plague and Infested Terran still on Infestor, although I hear plague likely won't remain.
- Still not impressed with the Thor, both functionally and aesthetically. Its new ability sounds promising but not too exciting.
- I really do not want ship stacking in this game. Not being able to focus-fire ships effectively takes so much of the fun out of the game and adds to the chaos. Granted it makes them more susceptible to AOE, but I'd still rather they didn't clump up as much.
- Corruptors are unimpressive, and it's odd how Brood Lords morph from them.
- I can see the Immortal as an instant hard counter to tanks being a problem. For balance, might I suggest that their shields to not regenerate...making their delicate usage risky?
- Not that many exciting, tactical abilities. Little innovation.

LordArreat15
06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm glad I stayed in bed instead staying up for this. But no LAN, though I understand Blizzard thoughts on privacy etc. (I never did manage to get my Battle.net working, better work on it now.) No protoss model updates? Wasn't the command center liftoff ability lock once they gotten an upgrade?

Interesting ideas what blizz got for the single player storyline.

scorpio19
06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Is it possible to download the HD video?

http://starcraft2.4players.de/download.php?download=1069

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Regarding the Immortal being an instant hard counter, it'd only be true if, and only if, the Siege Tanks are actively trying to kill the Immortals and there are no more attractive targets to aim at. This is because the only real reason Immortals counter Siege Tanks are because of their ability to negate the Siege Tank's high damage.

Even if it were a hard counter, I think it's something the Terrans would just have to live with by having Marines and/or Reapers at the ready to protect the Siege Tanks (you mean you weren't doing this already?!). If it is moved up to the Robotics Facility, the Immortal would be in serious need of buffing to make up for the smaller numbers we'd likely see of it.

flabortast
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Are Collosi and Ultras still able to path over small units?

n00bonicPlague
06-29-2009, 08:18 AM
It would be muchly appreciated if those of you who are currently also using other fansite forums would link to the main page article. Show us off a bit. :D
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=18031239053&sid=3000

Rizhall
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Is it just me or do Immortals not have a running animation anymore?
Antigrav has an interesting animation now. Not sure if I like it better or not though.
Peorotoseu Buildings have this flicker effect. I am guessing is when the shields are recharged.
I like the new Spine Crawlers, they don't look frail like the old ones. Though I miss the underground attack.
Holy crap, you can see inside the marine's guts when it gets chopped in half by a zealot in one of the death animations. Looks awesome.
Oh man, Protoss building death is AWESOME> You can see the parts all around, but it's not overwhelming. And the parts actually PHASED out, probably going back to the building manufacturers to reuse the materials.
Wait, the flicker could be an indicator that the building is no longer invisible from the Mothership.
Speedlings look coooool.

I originally didn't like a lot of things, but now I love almost all of it after seeing it in motion, like the Ultralisk. It's really grown on me.

sandwich_bird
06-29-2009, 09:10 AM
booooring, cept for the vid and the ss. Ty you scl though, you still did a great job.

BTW, no lan? So retarded. How could you not need lan? You want us all to buy a copy so that we all play on b.net heh.

Kacaier
06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
BTW, no lan? So retarded. How could you not need lan? You want us all to buy a copy so that we all play on b.net heh.Yeah. It's probably there to discourage Hamachi users. ;)

Rizhall
06-29-2009, 09:59 AM
The fact that they show APM after a match is a bit of a turn off for me.

I'm not really a pro gamer, and everytime I look at that APM chart, I'm going to cry. heh

Wankey
06-29-2009, 10:43 AM
NDA for a week for this was uncalled for. Either they're going to announce something big today or they're just trying to fill in the time. This was just an overglorified QA

scorpio19
06-29-2009, 10:54 AM
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8508/e49dfd970a6eb957e522223.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/i/e49dfd970a6eb957e522223.jpg/)

we have a new " night vision " binoculars....

Wankey
06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh god don't make me start on the carrier.

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
It was a ++ Q&A. With fansite participation. :p

I am pretty much impressed with everything. Not sure about the Spine Crawler, but it's definitely interesting. I like that it still reminds me of a scorpion.

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
New Spine Crawler = ridiculous.
And wtf is the purpose of having both Time Bomb and Vortex?

Overall I am extremely disappointed.

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Then the power that gives the end-user, is they can now make their map their Defense of the Ancients, or their tower defense, or whatever kind of map thing they come up with and imagine in their mind they can custom make a score screen that works specifically for their game. So there are examples like that throughout the game. What we're doing with the multiplayer game and the core mechanics and the core balance ... that's the game. That's what we're setting out to do and there's not any requirement on the Battle.net side. And that's true with the single player story as well.

From a recent Sigaty interview.

Okay.

That's just FRIGGIN COOL.

Hegemon54
06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Your harrassment's pretty unwarranted, being that SCL is just telling you what they saw. Do you think that multiple websites (there are other sites that have posted their press releases) would lie about something like this?

If you watch the video that was posted earlier in the thread (and quit posting like a fucking moron), you would see that Dustin Browder answered your question: "When it's ready". Big surprise there.

I don't quite know where you got such a sense of entitlement from.

I'm not harassing anyone, I thought I'd actually get some answers and I think most of the starcraft fans that have been waiting 2 years deserve it. And as far as sense of entitlement, you should talk, trying to lecture me from your moral high horse.

These media sites had the opportunity to visit close to beta launch and they know thats what the fans are looking for yet they blow this unique opportunity to actually try and get some information out of Blizzard. It was the general consensus around the internet that this was a huge disappointment. We basically just got another Q&A batch with basically battlereport clips. Not to put down whats been done, I'm sure fans interested in minute details enjoyed this very much and the articles are well done and detailed, but most of us were extremely disappointed and were expecting more in the way of finding out big news.

Gradius
06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
News post updated. :)

Blazur
06-29-2009, 11:58 AM

If that's the case it makes absolutely no sense. Vortex as an ability I've never been fond of. Seeing it in action shows an overdone animation that's obnoxious and highly distracting.

I'm also not fond of the sound the buildings make when they're being cloaked/decloaked as the MShip passes overhead.

Gradius
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not harassing anyone, I thought I'd actually get some answers and I think most of the starcraft fans that have been waiting 2 years deserve it.
Your point? How hard is it to understand that Blizzard reps were ordered to not discuss the beta release date at this time? I'm sorry that you have unrealistic expectations for these events, yet feel obligated to follow them and complain afterwards anyway. Perhaps you should snap back to reality and realize that Blizzard doesn't announce things that they aren't ready to be released.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm not harassing anyone, I thought I'd actually get some answers and I think most of the starcraft fans that have been waiting 2 years deserve it. And as far as sense of entitlement, you should talk, trying to lecture me from your moral high horse.

These media sites had the opportunity to visit close to beta launch and they know thats what the fans are looking for yet they blow this unique opportunity to actually try and get some information out of Blizzard. It was the general consensus around the internet that this was a huge disappointment. We basically just got another Q&A batch with basically battlereport clips. Not to put down whats been done, I'm sure fans interested in minute details enjoyed this very much and the articles are well done and detailed, but most of us were extremely disappointed and were expecting more in the way of finding out big news.

My moral high horse? Surely you don't mean the fact that I'm being sound and reasonable about the information presented to us by SC:L. I'm not the one that "demanded" information regarding the beta (as I've been playing blizzard games long enough to expect a date). Also, do you think that you've been waiting for the beta longer than myself, becoming a much more deserved recipient of news such as the start of the beta? Seems pretty fucking stupid to me sir. I've been waiting for the beta since the announcement, and knew that it would take a long time. I just don't get angry when I don't get what I want.

Do you honestly think that all these news outlets went to blizzard not thinking about the beta? Do you think they didn't ask? If you think that's how it is, then you're an idiot. They probably didn't report on the issues as there was nothing to report on.

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
These media sites had the opportunity to visit close to beta launch and they know thats what the fans are looking for yet they blow this unique opportunity to actually try and get some information out of Blizzard.

Dude, I think you misunderstand.

They actually want to be invited back. The only way they'd get information out of those people... MAYBE... is if they harassed them. In which case, guess what?

They wouldn't get invited back. And they would get no information anyway.

Also, the choice between Obelisk or Pylon is a critical one that the devs themselves are unsure about – some swear by Obelisk-first whereas others cannot bear being supply stuck. It’s a good building, and I enjoy its inclusion.

Why does one need to choose exactly? Resources?

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM

I agree its strange, the right choice appears quite simple to me. In the very early game, the choice is between a 100 mineral Pylon which provides power and 8 supply, and a 150 mineral Obelisk which lets your Probes mine more and gives you shield regen. Honestly, the Obelisk seems like the obvious choice every time, because the resources you collect using the Obelisk will pay for its cost (and everything else) very fast, and who needs supply when you can use the Obelisk to regen the shields of the less units you have?

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I agree its strange, the right choice appears quite simple to me. In the very early game, the choice is between a 100 mineral Pylon which provides power and 8 supply, and a 150 mineral Obelisk which lets your Probes mine more and gives you shield regen. Honestly, the Obelisk seems like the obvious choice every time, because the resources you collect using the Obelisk will pay for its cost (and everything else) very fast, and who needs supply when you can use the Obelisk to regen the shields of the less units you have?

I was just wondering how there was competition between the two at all.

It's like comparing a probe to a zealot almost. They serve completely different purposes.

Nicol Bolas
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Um, they do different things? I'm not sure I understand the question.

I think most of the starcraft fans that have been waiting 2 years deserve it.

Wait, don't those "fans who've waited for 2 years" realize that "when it's ready" is pretty much the de-facto standard that Blizzard holds to? So if those "fans who've waited for 2 years" were actually paying attention during that time, they wouldn't expect a beta date.

I'm guessing the question is like 9-Pool vs Overpool: which do you start to get first.

Though it does beg a certain question: does this mean that Obelisks don't require being in range of a pylon to be built? That made more sense when they were a specialized type of Pylon.

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Um, they do different things? I'm not sure I understand the question.

Time bomb - AoE that disables all units inside it and (currently) makes them invulnerable
Vortex - AoE that disables all units inside it and makes them invulnerable

Try to keep up on the info man.

I'm guessing the question is like 9-Pool vs Overpool: which do you start to get first.

Though it does beg a certain question: does this mean that Obelisks don't require being in range of a pylon to be built? That made more sense when they were a specialized type of Pylon.

One can only hope they don't require psi to be built, else they might as well just bring back the old Shield Battery.

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Time bomb - AoE that disables all units inside it and (currently) makes them invulnerable
Vortex - AoE that disables all units inside it and makes them invulnerable

Try to keep up on the info man.

The info that is based off of guesswork from watching a video...?

One can only hope they don't require psi to be built, else they might as well just bring back the old Shield Battery.

With Proton Charge... how do you figure?

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
The info that is based off of guesswork from watching a video...?

Based on what we have been told about them for months. I have been opposed to the MS having both at once for a long time.

With Proton Charge... how do you figure?

There's no need for the Obelisk, its a Shield Battery with an ability that's perfectly explainable as being from the Shield Battery. I figure that the lore for Proton Charge could just be the energy thats normally supplied to regen shields gets focused into the cutters of the Probes making them more effective.

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Based on what we have been told about them for months. I have been opposed to the MS having both at once for a long time.

ChaosSmurf's review didn't mention Time Bomb. Likewise, the video didn't feature it either. So, it's possible that it may have been removed. It's unclear for the moment. Perhaps Zero (or anyone else who was there) can clarify this?

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
ChaosSmurf's review didn't mention Time Bomb. Likewise, the video didn't feature it either. So, it's possible that it may have been removed. It's unclear for the moment. Perhaps Zero (or anyone else who was there) can clarify this?

I swear I read it had both, but there's so much info to sift through I may be wrong.

Either way, point is that the MS only needs one of them, not both.

dynamiK-
06-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be some other event happening at Blizzard today? The one that got postponed...

Nicol Bolas
06-29-2009, 01:54 PM
We know that Motherships have the following:

1: The building teleport.

2: The pseudo-stasis thing that stops units.

3: The Phoenixes old Overload (which has no shutdown, and probably does much more damage).

4: Passive cloaking.

Hegemon54
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Your point? How hard is it to understand that Blizzard reps were ordered to not discuss the beta release date at this time? I'm sorry that you have unrealistic expectations for these events, yet feel obligated to follow them and complain afterwards anyway. Perhaps you should snap back to reality and realize that Blizzard doesn't announce things that they aren't ready to be released.

If thats true, why did they already announce an end of 09 release? Why did they announce beta coming this summer? Why do all games and films announce deadlines in advance? Because they want to create hype but also let their fans know when they can expect to enjoy the product so they don't just sit around twiddling their thumbs, its just common decency.

My moral high horse? Surely you don't mean the fact that I'm being sound and reasonable about the information presented to us by SC:L. I'm not the one that "demanded" information regarding the beta (as I've been playing blizzard games long enough to expect a date). Also, do you think that you've been waiting for the beta longer than myself, becoming a much more deserved recipient of news such as the start of the beta? Seems pretty fucking stupid to me sir. I've been waiting for the beta since the announcement, and knew that it would take a long time. I just don't get angry when I don't get what I want.

Do you honestly think that all these news outlets went to blizzard not thinking about the beta? Do you think they didn't ask? If you think that's how it is, then you're an idiot. They probably didn't report on the issues as there was nothing to report on.

I think having your own opinion is reasonable but to lecture me on why I should have the same opinion as you and what I do and do not deserve and what I should and should not want is beyond pompous and self-righteous on your part. And yes some of us ARE more dedicated to following this project, I was at Blizzcon almost strictly for starcraft 2 and to play it and get a beta key. And yes I've been following every news site I can including this one. and YES I know these sites went to Blizzard HQ thinking and asking about beta which is EXACTLY WHY THEY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED IT IN THEIR ARTICLES instead of pretending like it doesn't exist.

Dude, I think you misunderstand.

They actually want to be invited back. The only way they'd get information out of those people... MAYBE... is if they harassed them. In which case, guess what?

They wouldn't get invited back. And they would get no information anyway.

I figured sites reporting on starcraft "news" actually did so. That requires being a little investigative on their part, I'm not saying sneak around and report on shit illegally but press these people for information like any good reporter of news. Not slobber over their dicks like fan boys just so they can get a second treat.

Wait, don't those "fans who've waited for 2 years" realize that "when it's ready" is pretty much the de-facto standard that Blizzard holds to? So if those "fans who've waited for 2 years" were actually paying attention during that time, they wouldn't expect a beta date.

Me and others have done alot of research not only on this project but all of Blizzards previous titles and if you had any ounce of knowledge about it, you'd realize the beta should be here and if not, there should be some sort of explanation as to why. I'm not going to list the facts but you can use google/wiki yourself to simply find out beta timeframes.

Blazur
06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
3: The Phoenixes old Overload (which has no shutdown, and probably does much more damage).

The overload you're referring to is its regular attack, which apparently can hit both air and ground.

The article mentions is has planet cracker back now, so that would give it PC, Vortex, Building Warp (name?), and innate cloaking like the Arbiter.

Vortex, for all intents and purposes, is Stasis Field only with a different and much more obnoxious animation. The units within its effect disappear and in its place is a ridiculously distracting animation.

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
If thats true, why did they already announce an end of 09 release? Why did they announce beta coming this summer? Why do all games and films announce deadlines in advance? Because they want to create hype but also let their fans know when they can expect to enjoy the product so they don't just sit around twiddling their thumbs, its just common decency.

Because they rarely meet their target dates.

So giving them is pointless, and is more indecent than giving dates they know they probably won't meet.

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Vortex, for all intents and purposes, is Stasis Field only with a different and much more obnoxious animation. The units within its effect disappear and in its place is a ridiculously distracting animation.

There is a major difference in that it continues to cause stasis to all those who enter the field throughout its duration. Moreover, those caught in it get repositioned at the Vortex's center. As you can imagine, this has various strategic applications when combined with Colossi and Psionic Storm. In addition, it might be able to move units up and down a cliff, though this would be somewhat more situational.

Rizhall
06-29-2009, 02:34 PM

I think there's a reason for having such an eye-catching animation. It's like stasis, except it will also disable units that go into it even AFTER the ability is activated. This is a really big deal that can immensely change the course of battle.

The reason they made the animation so distracting is so that when it's there, both players KNOW it's there the entire time and don't miss it by accident.
Could you imagine getting a huge army, you switch screens really quickly, don't notice the vortex, and accidentally 1a2a3a all your units into it. (Though I would laugh hard if I saw this happen in a pro match) Plus, I personally think it looks pretty =D

I just thought of some nice strategy for it too. It looks like units come out pretty clumped together once Vortex wears off. Tag some HT's with the MS, Vortex an area, and then when it's about to wear off, Psi Storm the area so all the enemies get hit by it as they come out.

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm probably one of the few that thinks Vortex looks pretty cool. I like it.

Caliban113
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
So - I'm reading this right? - You don't get bunkers until you've upgraded to an Orbital CC?

EDIT: Nevermind - I see both are avl after Barracks.

Man, Zerg look un-bee-lieveable...! - I take back everything I've ever said.... :)

However, the Spine Crawler attack is a little silly - It kind of reminded me of the "tongue' attack in the new transformer movie...

BTW - thanks ChaosSmurf, for a great review - thanks for getting to so many of my questions. :)

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I don't find the tech tree display to be very intuitive.

GeeGee
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm a little upset that they haven't changed the renders of some units/buildings over this period of time, but there's still plenty of time for it.

Such a shame there isn't any news about beta.

Crazy_Jonny
06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Good to hear that Rob is returning for Raynor. See, they care. :)

I also looked at the other reports and liked some things I saw.

Apparently theres gonna be some kind of 'Challenges' mode. I know the hardcore folk wont really care about this, but I find it interesting.

TL also gave a really good report, and even have an 'idea' on when the beta starts.

And the gold fish has a name, HERBIE. :D

Nicol Bolas
06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
The overload you're referring to is its regular attack, which apparently can hit both air and ground.

No, it actually has the ability now, in addition to its attack. I can't remember where I read this, but I did see it somewhere.

Caliban113
06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Does the Raven have enough energy to fire off an HSM and a Defensive Drone?

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 03:15 PM
No, it actually has the ability now, in addition to its attack. I can't remember where I read this, but I did see it somewhere.

I vaguely remember as well that it had the overload ability.

However, I'm pretty positive that what we saw in the video was the MS' regular attack.

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, the Mothership has gone through so many iterations that I wouldn't be too surprised if it had it at some point or other.

Rizhall
06-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I remember that. I don't think they have it anymore though, or at least in the version they played/showed. Having both Planet Cracker and Overload is a bit much, I think.

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Hmm, now the question is. Are both abilities equally useful? Does the MS still suffer from the problem that if it wants to effectively use the planet cracker, it has to physically be on top of the enemy army? That was one of the reasons for why early on it was removed right?

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Okay, so reading up on their plans for the single-player campaign I'm... actually kind of worried.

I could not stand the Orc Campaign in the Frozen Throne. I despised it, and it sounds like they're kinda heading in that direction with this new Terran campaign. Some of these game-types sound fun... but some of them sound... eesh. Not fun.

Hated playing "Aeon of Strife" in the middle of the human campaign.

It doesn't necessarily look like that, but I'm hoping for something more along the lines of the Undead campaign in TFT, not the Human campaign in TFT. (Where there were like 3 missions that even involved teching up at all...)

Blazur
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
There is a major difference in that it continues to cause stasis to all those who enter the field throughout its duration. Moreover, those caught in it get repositioned at the Vortex's center. As you can imagine, this has various strategic applications when combined with Colossi and Psionic Storm. In addition, it might be able to move units up and down a cliff, though this would be somewhat more situational.

Ahh, good point. I didn't consider that units could haplessly walk into the Vortex. AND, if that ability scrambled the placement of all units inside its area of effect then I'd look at it in a new light. That actually sounds pretty cool.

Still, I do feel its animation needs to be toned down in intensity somewhat. It's just too much.

I've never heard of such a claim. Think you may have misread that somewhere...

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I've never heard of such a claim. Think you may have misread that somewhere...

No, he didn't. Dustin Browder or Karune or someone from Blizz at one point stated that the MS had the overload ability.

Whether it is now in the game or not is not definitely known.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I think having your own opinion is reasonable but to lecture me on why I should have the same opinion as you and what I do and do not deserve and what I should and should not want is beyond pompous and self-righteous on your part. And yes some of us ARE more dedicated to following this project, I was at Blizzcon almost strictly for starcraft 2 and to play it and get a beta key. And yes I've been following every news site I can including this one. and YES I know these sites went to Blizzard HQ thinking and asking about beta which is EXACTLY WHY THEY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED IT IN THEIR ARTICLES instead of pretending like it doesn't exist.

Oh, no. I said nothing about opinions. My current opinion is that you were being a DICK when that was in no way, shape, or form warranted. I went to blizzcon last year aswell, mainly for SC2. We both deserve a cookie I suppose.

If you've been following every news site you can, you would have known the answer to your own question without attempting to demand it from SC:L. It was said in TL's report, as well as even stated in the headline of other reports. Not to mention, several interviews had a question about the beta only to get the same answer.

I don't really know what you're expecting blizzard to say. The beta will be released when it's ready. It's been like that since they announced SC2. Since you've been following the news feeds about this game so diligently, you should already know this.

Not to mention, it was even said on this site LAST WEEK that the present reports hadn't been given any dates and to quit asking about them. Why you would continue to expect beta information regarding it's release is beyond me. And further, to say "Bullshit" to SC:L for telling you that they weren't given any beta information is just you being rude and in a state of denial.

scorpio19
06-29-2009, 04:05 PM
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/4371/863.jpg (http://img361.imageshack.us/i/863.jpg/)

what is that..yamato??

DemolitionSquid
06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/4371/863.jpg (http://img361.imageshack.us/i/863.jpg/)

what is that..yamato??

I'm going to say most definitely, seeing as there are multiple BC's in the pic.

Mercatosis
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM

what is that..yamato??

Looks pretty amazing, whatever it is.

Alar
06-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Raynor and Mengsk are back. RAYNOR AND MENGSK ARE BACK!!!

That alone makes this article worth it.

I went through and read the editorials, watched the videos, and I've gotta say... this was great. I'm really pleased with how far StarCraft II has come so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Gradius
06-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Article updated with SC2 posters.

Zero
06-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Hegemon, you seem really peeved we weren't able to get a date for the beta release. The simple fact of the matter is that there isn't one. When it's ready, it'll be ready and they'll give us some notice beforehand.

None of the guys who go to events like this have an attitude like yours, like we expect them to bend over backwards for us. Want to know why? Because they aren't invited! Being invited over to Blizzard is a privilege, and only people who will appreciate their hard work are going to be allowed to go. When you talk to these guys in person, like Karune or Browder, they make it obvious when there's something they can't tell you about, either because it's supposed to remain secret for an appointed time or they don't want to lie because they're not sure and things change. Especially since they know guys like you would go nuts if they didn't meet the date they promised.

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
First off, those posters are badass.

Secondly, WHAT THE ****?

Marines just jump off of dropships like paratroopers, without the parachutes?

Hegemon54
06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Hegemon, you seem really peeved we weren't able to get a date for the beta release. The simple fact of the matter is that there isn't one. When it's ready, it'll be ready and they'll give us some notice beforehand.

None of the guys who go to events like this have an attitude like yours, like we expect them to bend over backwards for us. Want to know why? Because they aren't invited! Being invited over to Blizzard is a privilege, and only people who will appreciate their hard work are going to be allowed to go. When you talk to these guys in person, like Karune or Browder, they make it obvious when there's something they can't tell you about, either because it's supposed to remain secret for an appointed time or they don't want to lie because they're not sure and things change. Especially since they know guys like you would go nuts if they didn't meet the date they promised.

Well it seemed to me that G4 was able to get semi-significant information about the beta and they talked about it first thing in their articles, which I feel you should have done as well because its what the fans and people who visit your website want to hear about. Blizzard didn't invite you because they LIKE you, they invited you because they wanted you to spread more information about their game for sales/hype purposes. While I'm sure the staff had a friendly demeanor, lets be honest, thats what is was all about. I applaud G4 and if you saw the Dreamhack interview they were able to get significant information about the beta in a quick satellite link interview at a convention. I was kind hoping one of these media outlets, given a much better and longer opportunity, would get more solid information.

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
First off, those posters are badass.

Secondly, WHAT THE ****?

Marines just jump off of dropships like paratroopers, without the parachutes?

Which part of 'tired of life' didn't you get? :)

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Haha, doesn't seem to make a very good propaganda poster if the implication is that you'll be jumping to your doom.

That'd be very cool though, if in actual lore the Terrans used some form of parachuting down marines. But then again, watching the SC: Ghost trailer, dropships are pretty damn effective at what they do already.

Aldrius
06-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Well it seemed to me that G4 was able to get semi-significant information about the beta and they talked about it first thing in their articles, which I feel you should have done as well because its what the fans and people who visit your website want to hear about. Blizzard didn't invite you because they LIKE you, they invited you because they wanted you to spread more information about their game for sales/hype purposes. While I'm sure the staff had a friendly demeanor, lets be honest, thats what is was all about. I applaud G4 and if you saw the Dreamhack interview they were able to get significant information about the beta in a quick satellite link interview at a convention. I was kind hoping one of these media outlets, given a much better and longer opportunity, would get more solid information.

No offense intended to SC:Legacy, but I don't think it's fair to hold them to the same standard as G4 when it comes to information gathering.

LordArreat15
06-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Oh well Blizzard made their choose for SC2, wither we like or not. :mad::( Guess we better get use to the facts now people. Blizzard has their agendas.

But hey we got Twilight coming tomorrow, something thats 'ready' to be release at last.

ChaosSmurf
06-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Personally I prefer knowing about the abilities of the mothership, hearing tales of actual games and what the development team thinks about x or y than "so the betas going to last as long as all our other betas".

Could just be me though...

Gradius
06-29-2009, 07:15 PM
If thats true, why did they already announce an end of 09 release?Why did they announce beta coming this summer? Why do all games and films announce deadlines in advance? Because they want to create hype but also let their fans know when they can expect to enjoy the product so they don't just sit around twiddling their thumbs, its just common decency.
Irrelevant. Neither films nor games announce dates when they're not ready to.

What information was that? 4-6 month beta? Yes, that's the standard length of time for a Blizzard beta, something that's been answered on this forum plenty of times. So what? We still don't have a target date - the closest thing we have is "later this summer" and "we're trying to get beta up as soon as possible". I could have told you that without going to any event. And the dreamhack interview? There's a reason we didn't news that - it had nothing new.

You have a serious misconception of how these events actually work. Should we regret not looking for answers to questions that they don't want to answer but instead spending our time on information we can actually gather? I don't think so. Nobody's going to harass any of the Blizz employees for information they've been ordered not to give.

Pick
06-29-2009, 08:18 PM
A new article on TeamLiquid called "Reunderstanding the game".

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=96528

It is a great read. You might want to add it to the list of news links.

EDIT: This article is based on time played with the game in Mid-May so maybe it is not right for this Press Event post. Still a great read regardless.

ManjiSanji
06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
I gotta say, I really like the Brood Lord attack animation; it's like the Broodlings (Mantalings?) are spawning out of its back, and it's not so much firing them as it is just a giant host for them, and they do their own thing, or are directed by it.

Also, the tons of them on the ground in that one shot really emphasizes the whole "swarm" thing more than ever.

Alar
06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
If that's what the Brood Lord does, I don't like it. It's basically just a Zerg Carrier.

Seriously... I hope it's something more creative than that.

mr. peasant
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
It's about as much a Zerg Carrier as a Battlecruiser is a Terran Carrier. It's only in lore. Gameplay-wise, the Brood Lord functions very differently from a Carrier.

Bisso
06-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Im starting to get sick of Blizzard, rly.

Don't get me wrong, they do an excellent job at doing great games that will get me addicted and all but...

What the hell is wrong with their obsession for Bnet!! No lan, Bnet?! .. what? how does this even make sens!? I know I know, adding a lan option in SC2 just help downloaded/cracked version of the game to be played online with others on custom servers. But for 95% of the cases, lan was used.... FOR LAN!

This just adds to the rest of the "new Blizz" features that they came with on WoW. I guess Blizzard realised they make alot of money, but from the same product, they can make MUCH more money. Don't worry guys, after you buy the 2ND! expansion (in order to keep competing online or even have a taste of the 3 races campaign... You will have to pay 180 box to play the Toss campaign..) Blizzard will come up with their new Battle.net 2.1 system that everyone will want to get but it cost a fee, but if you don't pay you can't play with your friends and others... keeee-chinnnnnggg!

The Blizzard we knew 10 years ago is no more. Of course, they keep doing great games, but they do it only for money now, and ONLY for money.

I had a dream, that to work at Blizzard...

On another note, I am really happy to have Jim Raynor's voice acted by Clockworthy! About the only good news there is this week. Oh and the Ultralisk is just NOT killable lolll, nice vid

ManjiSanji
06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Seriously... I hope it's something more creative than that.

What more do you want?
It's a lot more creative than the rest of the units.

The thing spawns its offspring, which then leap from it to ravage the enemy until they die.

The closest thing to it would have been the Reaver, and that really just fired guided explosives that you paid for (which was cool, don't get me wrong).

Alar
06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
What more do you want?
It's a lot more creative than the rest of the units.

The thing spawns its offspring, which then leap from it to ravage the enemy until they die.

The closest thing to it would have been the Reaver, and that really just fired guided explosives that you paid for (which was cool, don't get me wrong).
It just looks very similar to the Carrier. The Carrier produces little units that swarm their enemies. Once finished, the little units return to the Carrier, ready to launch off again.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but those screenshots for the Brood Lord and his attack look identical to what I just described.

Pandonetho
06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
The wraith and battlecruiser both shoot the same weapon, damn wtf is Blizzard thinking?

The Dragoon and Photon cannon shoot the same weapon, damn, wtf is Blizz doing?

Nicol Bolas
06-29-2009, 10:48 PM
The Carrier produces little units that swarm their enemies. Once finished, the little units return to the Carrier, ready to launch off again.

The Broodlings/Mantalings/whatever do not return. The Brood Lord is not an ammunition-dependent unit.

ManjiSanji
06-30-2009, 12:55 AM
It might be a little much, but I'd even like to see little eggs for the Broodlings grow and hatch on its back.

Although I sort of assumed the team color spots were where they come from.

Honestly I'm really impressed with most of the attack animations of nearly every unit. I think the one I'm least impressed with is the Hydralisk, but that's because I miss the old, "Splat splat" green blast from SC1, which, while they always said were spines, looked like acid to me.

Equiliari
06-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Is it just me or do Immortals not have a running animation anymore?

Its not just you, they just seem to be gliding.
But In BR3 they walk fine... well, except for the Immortal's top part chopping when they walk...

ChaosSmurf
06-30-2009, 04:24 AM
FYI, just cause the SC2 Review has my name on it doesn't mean I wrote it all, Gradius, Rylin and Zero wrote a good 75-80% of it :P

Not that I mind the lavishing of praise, you can keep doing that.

RamiZ
06-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I cant stand the look of the Brood Lord, its fucking AWFUL!!! Freaking Mantas, dont look Zergish at all... Im fine with their spawn Mantelings attack, and that should stay, just change god damn unit model...

flabortast
06-30-2009, 09:10 AM
The Hive looks too much like the Lair. I can't tell the difference between the two. In SC1 the Lair looked like an upgraded hatchery which is translated nicely in SC2. However, in SC1 the Hive looked like a completely different beast from the Hatchery and Lair. The Hive needs a model update IMO.

LordofAscension
06-30-2009, 05:25 PM
FYI, just cause the SC2 Review has my name on it doesn't mean I wrote it all, Gradius, Rylin and Zero wrote a good 75-80% of it :P

Not that I mind the lavishing of praise, you can keep doing that.

Where does it say your name except internally?

~LoA

ChaosSmurf
06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Where does it say your name except internally?

~LoA

Top of here (http://sclegacy.com/feature/3-events/425-june-22-2009-starcraft-ii-review). Written by...

Also I think people figured I had something to do with it what with being around when it was posted.

LordofAscension
06-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Top of here (http://sclegacy.com/feature/3-events/425-june-22-2009-starcraft-ii-review). Written by...

Also I think people figured I had something to do with it what with being around when it was posted.

Fixed.

~LoA

Blazur
07-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Just spotted the first critter we've seen yet in this screenshot.

http://sclegacy.com/images/uploaded/starcraftiinews/june22/screens/TvZ-MarSara01.jpg

There's a bull/dog over the Banshee at the farthest left.

Zero
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
All you guys had to do was ask. On the Blistering Sands map in particular, there were critters running around. In a testing game with Rylin, me as Terran, him as Zerg, Rylin used the Infestor's Neural Parasite on one of the dog-like critters with the same effect (although temporary) as in Brood War with the Dark Archon's Mind Control, where you could move the critter around, but without orders it'll wander on its own, until the Neural Parasite wears off in this case.

Wankey
07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Zero, did you ever encounter Carriers? How did their interceptors fly like? Was they still stiff and straight like in the videos or have they gone back to SC1 like fly by passes?

Any change to the Carrier model at all?

DemolitionSquid
07-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Just spotted the first critter we've seen yet in this screenshot.

http://sclegacy.com/images/uploaded/starcraftiinews/june22/screens/TvZ-MarSara01.jpg

There's a bull/dog over the Banshee at the farthest left.

Hah, it blends in well. Looks like some kind of dog-lizard to me.

Zero
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Oh yeah. I used them and they've been used against me. The model is still the older type, and I don't remember exactly the pathways the interceptors flew. But with the new upgrade, they fly through the carriers and back to fight much faster, increasing their deadliness. As far as if the current model will stay, no idea.

Pandonetho
07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
In SC1 when you had a critter under your control, you could only select it individually.

In SC2, did you try to see if you could select multiple critters or group a critter with your standard units?

Gritten
07-02-2009, 01:30 PM
In SC1 when you had a critter under your control, you could only select it individually.

In SC2, did you try to see if you could select multiple critters or group a critter with your standard units?

lol I got a mental image of this swarm of bull dog type critters attacking a base.

Zabimaru
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
lol I got a mental image of this swarm of bull dog type critters attacking a base.

Well... you’d have the element of surprise that’s for sure. :p

LoTuS
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I assume that immortals dont "slide" in the released version.
I really like the warp in mechanic though. you can proxy pylon a base then warp zeals. Hahaha :D or is that how it works? o_o Psi blades now correspond with the player color, nice!. Last thing, is the mother ship vortex thing similar to the arbiter's statis?.

Zero
07-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Not entirely sure. However, because the effects of Neural Parasite is quite short in length, it would be quite difficult to obtain a large amount of critters in any given time. However, since the control of the critter is fully yours during that period of time, I would believe that you could group it with your other units, while you have it anyway.

Neural Parasite really isn't effective with critters and weaker enemy units anyway. It's meant to take over a larger unit that can deal a lot of damage in a short amount of time and turn the tide of a battle.