PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Add Countdown timer to SC:L

Dale
07-17-2010, 11:46 PM
I would like to respectfully petition for a count-down timer added to SC:L's homepage that tells how long until 12:00 AM July 27th, 2010 (SC2 Release Date).

Reasons why I think it would be good:
1. Inform general viewing public how much time is left.
Informing is good because it is technically a news site.
2. It is unique. No other SC2 fan page has it.
3. It's a fun addition. (Because it makes the page dynamic.)
4. It's easy to add. Some fancy javascript is all it takes. And even if that takes too long, then I'm sure code could be copied from online libraries. Also, you guys have done it before during your launch of SCL 2.0.

Please answer "Sign" on the above poll to show your support for this petition.

Norfindel
07-18-2010, 07:43 AM
No! not the C-word! :p

(joke for the people that actually saw what happened in the last countdown timer) :D

This time should be much safer, however :D

Arkalis
07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
If it isn't much trouble (Im newb at this stuff) maybe the staff can put one.

But if it is, maybe it wouldn't be worth since it will run out at the time.

Also, the OPs points are good ones, and if no site has one, then its +viewers

SonOfChaos
07-21-2010, 12:58 AM
If the mods have the time then sure why not. But if they have more important things to tackle then okay, that's fine too

Maul
07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
There's heaps of flash, php and javascript countdown scripts for free out there. The hardest part after choosing one would be entering the date you want to countdown to :P

n00bonicPlague
07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
They should so do it.

DOO EET!!!

PhanttoM
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
It seems a little bit reduntant requesting this just around a week before release.

A few months ago, I certainly would have voted yes.

rise
07-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your suggestion, Dale. I appreciate the support you provided in your post.

The countdown of StarCraft II's release will likely remain excluded from our coverage. Firstly, the release is in a few days, so the timing is largely redundant. While I agree that we should inform the viewer of StarCraft II's release, marketing Blizzard Entertainment's products is neither the responsibility nor the controlling focus of our site. We syndicate the marketing releases and initiatives by Blizzard, and the reader is generally aware of StarCraft II's eminent release if they are accessing StarCraft-related information. Secondly, configuring a countdown timer requires time and resources regardless of the ease of implementation. Consequently, we are focusing on preparing to cover the release of the product; it's a matter of priorities for us currently. Finally, the user gain by adding a countdown before July 27 is negligible; it would function as a "fun" mechanic for our current users. However, we are investing in release and post-release coverage.

I feel an alternative suggestion would be to include a countdown at the top of the forum. Fun features for forum members is much more realistic and tangible. However, time is limited, so this feature will likely remain excluded from our site.

Thanks,
rise

Edit: removed the question mark in the thread title

Santrega
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your suggestion, Dale. I appreciate the support you provided in your post.

The countdown of StarCraft II's release will likely remain excluded from our coverage. Firstly, the release is in a few days, so the timing is largely redundant. While I agree that we should inform the viewer of StarCraft II's release, marketing Blizzard Entertainment's products is neither the responsibility nor the controlling focus of our site. We syndicate the marketing releases and initiatives by Blizzard, and the reader is generally aware of StarCraft II's eminent release if they are accessing StarCraft-related information. Secondly, configuring a countdown timer requires time and resources regardless of the ease of implementation. Consequently, we are focusing on preparing to cover the release of the product; it's a matter of priorities for us currently. Finally, the user gain by adding a countdown before July 27 is negligible; it would function as a "fun" mechanic for our current users. However, we are investing in release and post-release coverage.

I feel an alternative suggestion would be to include a countdown at the top of the forum. Fun features for forum members is much more realistic and tangible. However, time is limited, so this feature will likely remain excluded from our site.

Thanks,
rise

Edit: removed the question mark in the thread title

lol, you could have made a countdown timer in less time than it took you to type that! :P

Meh, 2 weeks ago this would have made sense... with 3 days left.. who cares about a timer? plus, most people are trying to avoid the forums for the rest of the wait anyway... they dont want those spoilers to ruin the single player for them...

Nice suggestion... it just got to the staff a little late.

rise
07-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Santrega, I don't code for StarCraft: Legacy. I assist by addressing community feedback, organizing staffing, and providing editing support for feature articles. I will think of you as I log into Joomla tonight, though!

Maul
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Perhaps a countdown can be made for the expansions? :P

Santrega
08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Perhaps a countdown can be made for the expansions? :P

Maybe if you suggested this a little earlier... there is only about 18 months before the expansion and that's clearly not enough time to prepare a countdown timer :)

rise
08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
The issue of timer timing is solved; however, the issue of a timer's appropriateness may remain.

This thread is recognized. I will mention it to LoA and Gradius numerous times (in addition to the once or twice recently) in the upcoming year. The result will be determined by how we, as a staff, feel a timer will reflect our organization. I will also suggest a forum-version of the timer, which I feel is a more likely outcome that is better suited.

Thank you for you feedback and input. This thread has been closed. I will be happy to re-open it or, more likely, allow a new thread much closer to the release of the next expansion.

rise