PDA

View Full Version : Neural parasite - lore

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
How can neural parasite work on Colossus, when it all mechanical, and therefore has no brain to overtake, neural refers to neurons found only in brains i.e. biological forms.The same could be said about the Disruptor, Observer, Warp Prism.
How does that work against protoss?
Imagine a parasites spres being flung at a protoss unit, wham it hits its shields. Then what, does the parasite sneak in?

How does that make sense?:confused:

Rake
06-26-2009, 06:38 PM
How can neural parasite work on Colossus, when it all mechanical, and therefore has no brain to overtake, neural refers to neurons found only in brains i.e. biological forms.The same could be said about the Disruptor, Observer, Warp Prism.
Imagine a parasites spres being flung at a protoss unit, wham it hits its shields. Then what, does the parasite sneak in?

The Colossus is run by a computerised neural network. :D

The parasite sneaks in through the air ducts. No one ever remembers that these need to be locked.

MattII
06-26-2009, 06:39 PM
How does it work against Terrans, I mean aren't they all wearing armour, or inside vehicles? Quite honestly, it's not a very well thought-out ability in terms of lore.

Pandonetho
06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
How does it work against Terrans, I mean aren't they all wearing armour, or inside vehicles? Quite honestly, it's not a very well thought-out ability in terms of lore.

Yeah this. What's also pretty dumb is spawning infested Terrans.
Infestor is nothing but a bag of failed lore ideas. They just work for gameplay, that's about it.

Warsaw
06-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Maybe they can control electrons or something? and maybe the parasites can burrow through metal?

mr. peasant
06-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Well, how do you explain Medics and Medivacs? How do they heal their comrades through said armor? :D

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, how do you explain Medics and Medivacs? How do they heal their comrades through said armor? :D
With steroids,antibiotics,adrenaline,health potion.... :P, that is administrated through the maintenance opening in the armor, that is on his back :)

Maybe they can control electrons or something? and maybe the parasites can burrow through metal?
But that would still not explain how they can bypass the shields. And protoss technology is not based on electrons:)

mr. peasant
06-26-2009, 07:05 PM
With steroids,antibiotics,adrenaline,health potion.... :P, that is administrated through the maintenance opening in the armor, that is on his back :)

Well, that explains Neural Parasite too. He gets it through the backdoor.

Nicol Bolas
06-26-2009, 07:05 PM
But that would still not explain how they can bypass the shields

The same way Plague and Spawn Broodling does.

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 07:12 PM
The same way Plague and Spawn Broodling does.
I didn't know that the Broodlings can bypass and ignore shields? That would make the brood lord op against protoss :P

Nicol Bolas
06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I didn't know that the Broodlings can bypass and ignore shields?

I said Spawn Broodling. The Queen ability that auto-kills units, Alien-chestburster-style (according to the Lore). It works on Protoss units despite their shield status. It even works on Tanks.

Josue
06-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I didn't know that the Broodlings can bypass and ignore shields? That would make the brood lord op against protoss :P

They did in SC1, in the mission you had to kill Fenix I just sent a queen spawn broodlings=epic win

Caliban113
06-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah this. What's also pretty dumb is spawning infested Terrans.
Infestor is nothing but a bag of failed lore ideas. They just work for gameplay, that's about it.

HA! - Ummm.......This

I know, I cant understand why (even if they are dead-set on the mechanic itself) they cant just make it a new zerg unit with the stats and abilities of the Infested Marine - problem solved.

n00bonicPlague
06-26-2009, 07:27 PM
According to SC lore, Protoss robotic units are controlled by "Masters of Robotics" -- special psychics who can pilot a robot with a level of precision equal to that of being the robot units themselves. Since this is evidence of a fully-functioning organic-synthetic connection, it is entirely possible that the Parasites -- miniature Zerg minds -- can use the psychic powers inherited from their Zerg race to create a nerve-to-network connection of their own with the robots, overriding the control that the Masters of Robotics have on their robots.

As far as the shield penetration problem goes, it is most likely that the Protoss shields only activate upon a high energy impact. If they always activated, then units would have great difficulty in making contact with the ground and with simple objects. Keeping with this, don't think of the Parasite as being shot into the unit (high energy): think of it as being swiftly tossed, then allowed to bore a small hole of its own into the unit -- armored or not. Such a low energy projectile wouldn't been seen as a threat to the shields, appearing to be nothing more than a simple piece of debris from the environment. Also, such a small and intelligent object would have little trouble finding small cracks and weak points in the armor of any unit -- as opposed to a large, dumb projectile.

The_Blade
06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
The neural parasite can get inside anything due to its size. The zerg got an outstanding way of growing. The parasite can easily infect any unit by entering it as the size of bacteria. Then grow to the required size. And actually everything runs on electricity (organic and nor-organic) the parasite just finds the best way to control each one of them.

Organics (includes manned vehicles): easy just implants himself on the brain and starts sending calculated pulses or hormones.

Electric: spreads over the entire system like a network of neurons. then uses acids and different substances to control every mechanism. As well as disabling the computers and manipulators.

I got to agree spwning terrans don’t makes sense. An ability that will turn any terran infantry unit into infested terrans in its AoE will work better. The bad side is that it would turn this ability race exclusive. Probably the same problem Blizzard faced. Unless you get another unit as spwn this ability is not good for lore.

Josue
06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
According to SC lore, Protoss robotic units are controlled by "Masters of Robotics" -- special psychics who can pilot a robot with a level of precision equal to that of being the robot units themselves. Since this is evidence of a fully-functioning organic-synthetic connection, it is entirely possible that the Parasites -- miniature Zerg minds -- can use the psychic powers inherited from their Zerg race to create a nerve-to-network connection of their own with the robots, overriding the control that the Masters of Robotics have on their robots.

As far as the shield penetration problem goes, it is most likely that the Protoss shields only activate upon a high energy impact. If they always activated, then units would have great difficulty in making contact with the ground and with simple objects. Keeping with this, don't think of the Parasite as being shot into the unit (high energy): think of it as being swiftly tossed, then allowed to bore a small hole of its own into the unit -- armored or not. Such a low energy projectile wouldn't been seen as a threat to the shields, appearing to be nothing more than a simple piece of debris from the environment. Also, such a small and intelligent object would have little trouble finding small cracks and weak points in the armor of any unit -- as opposed to a large, dumb projectile.
I didn't know anything about robotechnology masters or "Masters of Robotics"
or anything... and I thought that Protoss were quite advanced in AI...
btw if anyone has seen robotech, noticed the similarities?
EDIT
On topic, it would work the same way parasite used to work in SC1, however the control part is still obscure.

The_Blade
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
It was part of the Tribia contest XD

Caliban113
06-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Well, it really made no sense to me how one Dark Archon was able to mind control a whole Battlecruiser...but how cool was that...? :)

I see what you're saying tho, and it's a good point. - Perhaps there should be "off limit" units from NP - Kind of like how, 'Spawn Broodling' from SC1's Queen couldn't be used on Reavers or other robotic units.

On the other hand, that move in BR3 where he caught David Kim between his own force fields and his own Colossi was just one for the ages tho man!.....Just one of those moves where you cant wait to set it up yourself..... :D

PosImpos
06-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Who cares about lore? If it works in game then that's all that really matters.

n00bonicPlague
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Here's some trivia for ya: what is the proper spelling of "trivia"?
a) tricia
b) trifia
c) trivia
d) tribia

Who cares about lore? If it works in game then that's all that really matters.Everyone else except you, obviously.

Pandonetho
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, that explains Neural Parasite too. He gets it through the backdoor.

That sounds dirty.

In any case, I'd assume the medivac actually sends down nanites or something to repair the armour.

And plague was a corrosive while spawn broodling was something that KILLED the host. You think something that can penetrate marine armour like a spawn broodling won't instantly kill him if it went straight into his brain?

Nicol Bolas
06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
spawn broodling was something that KILLED the host.

The lore is very specific about how it kills the unit. It infects the unit with something that hatches, killing the unit in the process. Like in Alien.

If the Queen can fling something that can breech shields easily, implant into the host, and burst forth from the inside, then the Infestor can do something similar.

ArcherofAiur
06-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Here's some trivia for ya: what is the proper spelling of "trivia"?
a) tricia
b) trifia
c) trivia
d) tribia

B

Why not make it so the infestor can temporarly mind control (ie infest) buildings? The zerg player could then build any units that the protoss player had the tech for but after X time the control would revert to protoss.

The_Blade
06-26-2009, 09:56 PM
B

Why not make it so the infestor can temporarly mind control (ie infest) buildings? The zerg player could then build any units that the protoss player had the tech for but after X time the control would revert to protoss.

Here you got the main problem.

Infestor rush!!!!!

they contol your pylons and nexus so what now.
they blow your cc and take the barracks and bunkers for their own
they take your hatchets so in one word no production, build another and take it as well
they eat up your brain and sell it as nasty rascu oil
they take your expo and suddenly he got 3
takes all your missile turrets and rushes with more infestores

ArcherofAiur
06-26-2009, 10:00 PM
And then the effect wears off.

PsiWarp
06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Hmm, I was reserving that Infest building idea for the Overseer, as a way to summon an 'Eye Sentry' atop it :D

-Psi

Rake
06-26-2009, 11:00 PM
B

That would be awsome! An all air zerg could infest the robitics support bay and then make the protoss build a whole bunch of colossi that can't attack air and draining all the protoss's minerals.

Might be a bit hard to balance. ;)

Runei
06-26-2009, 11:02 PM
I think they tried something like that before, where it was a timed duration and it auto-spawned x units without cost to resources. I think thats the best idea, but only having it work on gateways or barracks. Should this ability still work in ZvZ?

unentschieden
06-27-2009, 04:22 AM
I imagined it as some kind of mini, shortlived psychic "bug". It doesn´t actually ENTER the unit in question but latches on and remotecontrols the unit for the 10 seconds (also explains how the unit survives that, I initially thought the victim died after the 10 seconds).
I guess they control units and robots by intercepting and altering outside orders/information - just like a hacker. Instead of actually stealing a body they trick it by switching friendly and enemy units via Hallucination.

RamiZ
06-27-2009, 05:17 AM
Huh that is new Idea? That was actually how Infestor worked when Zergs just came out. Well idea was very similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHhB3nzTuQc It was very Cool, i liked, but it was way too Overpowered. Shutting down enemy production of units, and gathering Minerals, for 20 sec and pumping your own production is deadly.