PDA

View Full Version : Strenghth of the swarm ヘ(^_^ヘ)

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
So, after all the videos that have been released/leaked that have the Zerg in them, and looking at their stats and their units, how do you currently feel about the strength of the Zerg race?

Personally, I think that the Zerg are looking good and have a lot off potentiall, but then again i think that the Zerg are the most neglected race by Blizzard, and it will be a challenge to start winning and getting used to them.

So vote now, or leave a response :)

Bisso
06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
If it was in SC1, i would agree, but now that turtleing has been nearly wiped out of the horizon. (too much mobility to have any kind of advantage in turtling) I seriously think that Zerg will be a very dangerous Tier 1 opponent. We didn't really see "good" players as Zerg yet. In 3 Battle Report, it remained pretty much to Tier 1 units.

I am not sure of what will Tier2/3 games will look for zergs. But with the Mutalisk and Ultralisk, I am Zerg are going to be badass

SlickR
06-26-2009, 12:08 PM
They seem underpowered to me, but than again we've only seen SC2 newbies play them, even thou they are probably pretty good in SC2 now.

Id like to see David Kim play Zerg vs some1 else.

Anyways I'm curious how powerful the lurkers are, since they are tier 3 last time i checked.
Otherwise they just don't seem very interesting, in all the games I've seen zerg played its the same units over and over; zerglings and roaches. I'd like to see mutalisks, lurkers, guardians and more of ultralisks.

sandwich_bird
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know... All their good units are back (cept scourges and defilers) so they should be easy to use for all verterans but that makes them pretty boring...

Blazur
06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Zerg are pretty meh to me. They don't look like much fun to play (except for the banelings), and they certainly seem underwhelming compared to the other two races.

The_Blade
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Untill I play

Warsaw
06-26-2009, 01:04 PM
They look like the best race so far. Zerg then protoss then terrans. Terrans look like poopy.

Nicol Bolas
06-26-2009, 01:07 PM
It's funny how people are with gauging things. A lot of people spoke out against Neural Parasite, saying that it was "just" Mind Control on a Zerg unit. Until BR3 came out and people actually got it in their heads how awesome an ability it is.

Until you actually see Nydus Worms, Overseers with Transfusion, and various other Zerg abilities in practical use, I don't think this poll means anything.

Nottoway
06-26-2009, 02:20 PM
It's funny how people are with gauging things. A lot of people spoke out against Neural Parasite, saying that it was "just" Mind Control on a Zerg unit. Until BR3 came out and people actually got it in their heads how awesome an ability it is.

Until you actually see Nydus Worms, Overseers with Transfusion, and various other Zerg abilities in practical use, I don't think this poll means anything.

Isn't Nydus Worm gone?

I don't think we've seen Zerglings used well enough in mass to do a good job. I mean do you guys see HOW fast they move on creep? I personally don't think the strategies have evolved to use Zerg to the max. Haven't even see any mixture of units besides Lings/Roaches to make a discern opinion on their effectiveness.

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 02:23 PM
So, after all the videos that have been released/leaked that have the Zerg in them, and looking at their stats and their units, how do you currently feel about the strength of the Zerg race?

I'm asking for your current impresion, ok :)

Nicol Bolas
06-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Isn't Nydus Worm gone?

No; they just renamed it.

I'm asking for your current impresion, ok

My current impression is that we have not seen enough of the Zerg to be able to accurately gauge their current state.

Where is the Offensive Creep usage? Where are the Nydus-based attacks? Where are the Mutalisks? Where are the Overlord/Baneling bombing runs being done on hapless Zealots and Marines? Where are the Overseers with Transfusion to heal units in combat?

There are a lot of things that could be happening in Zerg play that we're not seeing.

ArcherofAiur
06-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I think nueral parasite, hunter seeker and force field are all imbalanced. If they leave the game like this Zerg, Terran and Protoss will always win.

Warsaw
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I think nueral parasite, hunter seeker and force field are all imbalanced. If they leave the game like this Zerg, Terran and Protoss will always win.

Ya something about the force field does seem.. i meen it was always used and it always worked. I think it needs a longer cool down or something. or more energy taken up. Its really freaking effective. Or perhaps be able to attack it.

ArcherofAiur
06-26-2009, 03:45 PM
You missed the point of my post.

Warsaw
06-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Well then why dont you inform me on the point of your post instead of just saying I missed the point of your post. That might actually help more.

ArcherofAiur
06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Sorry that was kinda rude. Its that their is a difference between a racial benifit and an imbalance. Heading out door. Ill explain it better when I get back.

Blazur
06-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Don't worry, I LOL'ed :)

PosImpos
06-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Ya something about the force field does seem.. i meen it was always used and it always worked. I think it needs a longer cool down or something. or more energy taken up. Its really freaking effective. Or perhaps be able to attack it.

Read the last part of his sentence and then tell me if you get it.

(Hint: Only one race can "always win")

Warsaw
06-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Ohoo... lol... I feel embarrased. Excuse me while I go into exile for a few days.

ArcherofAiur
06-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Now that weve succesfully exiled Warsaw Ill just clarify what I meant by imbalances arnt the same thing as racial benifits.

Imbalance has been used so much on these forum that it has taken on a meaning that far exceeds its intended use.

Starcraft is a game about balanced imbalances. Each unit can do something powerful that no other unit can do (with the exception of possibly workers). It is this kind of overpowered feeling that makes the game so fast paced and exciting. Now thats not to say that situations cant arise where one element is so powerful that it detracts from other areas of gameplay. But in order to figure out if this is the case you have to look at that element in combination with all the other parts of the system. This means actually playing the game.

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 06:07 PM
My current impression is that we have not seen enough of the Zerg to be able to accurately gauge their current state.

Why so serious, it's just a simple fun pool:p
And i did ask you what do you think about the zerg, with the few videos you alredy seen, and not what is your accurate impresion, but if you don't wan't to play along, can't help you.:p

Nicol Bolas
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Now thats not to say that situations cant arise where one element is so powerful that it detracts from other areas of gameplay. But in order to figure out if this is the case you have to look at that element in combination with all the other parts of the system. This means actually playing the game.

I contest this.

You make it sound like creating something imbalanced is hard. It's not. Indeed, it's quite easy. Here, I'll show you:

Increase Zergling damage by 10x.

There, that wasn't hard. It could just be 5x and it'd still be imbalanced as hell.

There are things that are a priori imbalanced. Force Field is not one of them, because not being able to walk into someone's base temporarily is not a significant imbalance.

And i did ask you what do you think about the zerg

I think the Zerg are fine, on paper. I'm slightly concerned about their power curve vs. Terran Infantry, but that all depends on how things like Disease, Razor Plague and the like works out.