PDA

View Full Version : Dual Gas is Out

ArcherofAiur
06-22-2009, 10:30 PM
"Talking to friends that were at the Blizzard even(news press cancelled) Dual Gas is out! Yes :) normal Vespene gas extraction is back. #sc2"

Source: http://twitter.com/starfeeder

Its not really clear whether the depleted gas mechanic(+2 gas/trip after geyser depleted) is back in the game. I would ask on B.Net but I doubt they will answer cause of the NDA.

Personally I am kinda conflicted. I liked the idea of different build orders that depend on taking your gas at different points. I cant really think of that many reasons why they might have removed this mechanic.

What do you guys think of this? Do you like the standard gas amount to be localized in one geyser? Do you like the depleted gas mechanic? Do you think we will see gas expos with 2 geysers and less/no minerals?

DemolitionSquid
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Definitely an interesting development.

imdrunkontea
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
certainly interesting. as long as the gimmicky vespene-shutdown-for-45-second mechanic is gone, though, I'm happy.

PsiWarp
06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Hurray for similarity to prequel~

-Psi

Pandonetho
06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Wellp, back to the old ways. I'm content.

Blazur
06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I was actually interested in the idea of two vespene geysers. This game gets closer and closer to the original as days progress.

RainbowToeSocks
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I am happy for that as long as the depletion mechanic is gone

ArcherofAiur
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Why? What didn't you like about the depleted gas mechanic?

RainbowToeSocks
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Why? What didn't you like about the depleted gas mechanic?

Was just boring and pointless. Just did not like.

ArcherofAiur
06-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Was just boring and pointless. Just did not like.

To clarify we are talking about the gas mechanic in SC:BW, right? Not the gas mechanic they had a couple months ago in SC2.

I felt it boosted the proportion of gas to minerals in late game. This means more carriers and HT in the end game rather then reverting back to only zealot battles.

RainbowToeSocks
06-22-2009, 11:08 PM
To clarify we are talking about the gas mechanic in SC:BW, right? Not the gas mechanic they had a couple months ago in SC2.

I felt it boosted the proportion of gas to minerals in late game. This means more carriers and HT in the end game rather then reverting back to only zealot battles.

no the depletion mechanic that makes you stop gathering for a bit while the geyser recharged or what ever

i liked how it was in BW

Pandonetho
06-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I was actually interested in the idea of two vespene geysers. This game gets closer and closer to the original as days progress.

Haha, just cross your fingers and hope everyday until release that they give the infestor interesting abilities and try to make them work.

PosImpos
06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I wasn't wild about the other thing they were trying, but it is sort of disappointing how they seem to be giving up on a lot of the more innovative ideas they had and are reverting back to simpler, tried and true stuff.

Beta is for testing out crazy stuff! They shouldn't give up on the crazy stuff just yet.

Warsaw
06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Im glad its gone.

Nicol Bolas
06-22-2009, 11:53 PM
What do you guys think of this?

I think it sucks.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to do one-base play to some degree. I liked the fact that you could put 6 workers on gas early on without having to take a natural (and thus promoting maps with no natural expos), and that this would allow you to be able to use some of the higher-tech units without expanding.

Granted, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But I'd rather have seen it work.

The depletion mechanic was removed when they put in the race-specific macro mechanics.

hope everyday until release that they give the infestor interesting abilities and try to make them work.

Right. Because the Neural Parasiting of two Colossi at a critical juncture wasn't the highly of BR3 or something... :rolleyes:

Pandonetho
06-23-2009, 12:02 AM
No no, Neural parasite is wonderful, I love the ability. It's that other one that they removed fungal scourge for that I'm not particularily fond of.

Novasquadron
06-23-2009, 12:46 AM
I liked the early idea of the gas mechanic.
But if they pulled it, i wouldnt see any reason to argue with it.
I believe both old and new would have worked fine.

Zabimaru
06-23-2009, 12:56 AM
It took a while to get used to 2, now it'll take a while to get used to 1 again. Maybe they're lowering the cost of gas on all the units- I remember the prices of gas used to be very high compared to SC1.

Zigurd
06-23-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't know. Two vespene geysers allowed for different build strategies. I just hope Blizz made the right choice.

sandwich_bird
06-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Waffles. Looks like I'll still be able to do waffle tactics like building a refinery with my first scv scout in my opponent base which will then fuck up all his b/o.

Noise
06-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Isn't this just a feature of the maps? Why couldn't there just be some maps that have 2 geyser mains and some that have 1? It's not like Blizzard is going to make all the maps.

I was intrigued by the idea of 2 gases but I like the idea of variety even more. Maps should vary the amount of mineral patches and geysers in the main and natural etc.

Perfecttear
06-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Old gas mechanic is better. End of that ;p
Apparently it's true that the new mechanic has been scrapped, and some off the unit costs redesigned.
Atleast i'm used to the old one :)

ihateyou916
06-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Keep
IT
STARCRAFT
STUPID

SoFool
06-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Changing it again huh, well they prolly have their reasons for doing it. The 2 gas thingy was quite interesting imo

SpiderBrigade
06-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Isn't this just a feature of the maps? Why couldn't there just be some maps that have 2 geyser mains and some that have 1? It's not like Blizzard is going to make all the maps.Well, that's true, but when they had 2 geysers as the default a lot of the balance was tweaked with that in mind. So for instance I'm pretty sure the gather speed of gas went down some, and units cost more gas, since they intended the "default" amount of gas to be from 2 geysers. Now that they are back down to one geyser, that means that this is the default assumption for unit cost and gathering speed - so two geysers on some maps might give too much gas and throw the balance off.

Noise
06-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Well, that's true, but when they had 2 geysers as the default a lot of the balance was tweaked with that in mind. So for instance I'm pretty sure the gather speed of gas went down some, and units cost more gas, since they intended the "default" amount of gas to be from 2 geysers. Now that they are back down to one geyser, that means that this is the default assumption for unit cost and gathering speed - so two geysers on some maps might give too much gas and throw the balance off.

Well I can always hope it's still balanced if you make a 2 geyser map.

Norfindel
06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
I think that a fast expansion is preferable to giving the player a comfortable second geyser in it's main base, for gameplay reasons.

medium
06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm on the fence about this one.

On one hand it was great to have a new mechanic, something that isn't "copy/paste" from the original Starcraft. But then again, the reason it was removed was probably because it promoted a lot of cheese... DT's before expansion anyone?

While I am upset that its just one more thing that will be the same... this was probably a good thing.

GGTeMpLaR
06-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I have no idea about either because we haven't got to test and compare the two because they won't start beta.

Nicol Bolas
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
But then again, the reason it was removed was probably because it promoted a lot of cheese... DT's before expansion anyone?

What's wrong with that? One-base play never hurt anyone. It'd be great if one-base play were something more than a harassment tactic or a gimmick, if it could become a real part of standard play.

Perfecttear
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow you guys, stop coming to conclusions.

There are still 2 geysers. The mechanic where it would go offline for x seconds is removed, thats it.
Gearvosh says that the 2 geysers mechanic is still there, so what is correct?

ArcherofAiur
06-23-2009, 05:33 PM
The starfeeder twitter said Dual gas is out. It didnt say anything about the Drilling gas mechanic which was already removed feb/march.

Baneling
06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
The starfeeder twitter said Dual gas is out. It didnt say anything about the Drilling gas mechanic which was already removed feb/march.

Karune just said it is misinformation. Duel gas is still in.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=18031134440&sid=3000

Warsaw
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
ohooo snap!

ArcherofAiur
06-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Darn you STARFEEDER TWITTER!!!!!

Nicol Bolas
06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
This is good.

/Thread.

Capsblock
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
THERE SHOULDVE BEEN 2 GEYSERS??!?!!? just joking ......but maybe something would get wrong in balance and make it more tech and turtle-able..

Pandonetho
06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
It'd be great if one-base play were something more than a harassment tactic or a gimmick, if it could become a real part of standard play.

I agree.

Sponge
06-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, I rode this thread all the way to page 4 just to be completely false. Hell, at least it kept me entertained for a second or so.

Diet: How the hell do i get this junior member off my avatar? I was around BF for years.

SoFool
06-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Karune just said it is misinformation. Duel gas is still in.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=18031134440&sid=3000

woot xD

Gifted
06-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Well, I rode this thread all the way to page 4 just to be completely false. Hell, at least it kept me entertained for a second or so.

Diet: How the hell do i get this junior member off my avatar? I was around BF for years.Keep posting here I guess :)