PDA

View Full Version : Unfair Advantage w/ Beta

Zukas
06-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone else think that all of those lucky enough to get a beta key are getting an unfair advantage on all those others who would like to be competitive when the game comes out but will not have had the months of practice? It's irritating because people will NOT be on a level playing field when SC2 comes out, because half of them playing it will have been playing it for months in advance!

Paxel
06-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Nah. Most people that plan to play competitive got their beta keys. Normal people just play for fun. Ergo it don't matter.

RainbowToeSocks
06-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Cept not really. The game will change a lot during the Beta period. I wouldn't say an 'unfair' advantage. Maybe a slight one. Youre just jealous that you didnt get a beta key :p Suck it up

PosImpos
06-20-2009, 11:15 AM
The vast, vast majority of people who will be playing this game will have not participated in the Beta.

Plus, considering that this game is so similar to SC1, there are already plenty of people who have an "unfair" advantage - those that have been playing SC1 for ages and ages and know every conceivable build order and strategy like the back of their hands, and have had played thousands of games. Those people (and by now, 10+ years after the release of the game, I'm sure there are a lot) will have a decided advantage over newer inductees to the Starcraft universe, especially people who are starting with SC2.

So really, there's no way that there will ever be a totally level playing field anyway come release. Beta isn't going to make that big of a difference.

Crazy_Jonny
06-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Someone just sounds jealous... like 5 months of playing an unfinished game is going to give an unfair advantage. Do you even play professionally? Besides, I dont think the pro-scene is going to take off immediatly when SC2 is released. It will still need to be patched and such.

sandwich_bird
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Cept not really. The game will change a lot during the Beta period. I wouldn't say an 'unfair' advantage. Maybe a slight one. Youre just jealous that you didnt get a beta key :p Suck it up
Don't know about him but I am...

Gifted
06-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Ultimately this is a moot point. You evolve by playing those who are better. The most skill I gained in all my time in Starcraft was the first month after playing ICCUP when I learned about it.

By increasing the skill of a group of people through the stumbling point/unstable versions... these beta testers will become the standard for basic learning in the infancy of Starcraft. They will be the people you watch in replays and help you implement your existing skill with the new meta game. In other words, by them existing, you will have a stable basis to learn and grow from which is faster than otherwise available.

That's my two cents.

Triceron
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Betas can actually skew a player's experience rather than purely give an advantage. With the amount of changes that go on during a beta, it's easy enough for someone to be confused of the latest patch and changes to be using old techniques that might have been fixed many times over. This is even more extreme considering that changes during the beta would probably be on a weekly or biweekly basis, making it difficult to find effective or abusive tactics that wouldn't be hotfixed in the next patch.

Getting used to playing a muta rush to suddenly find every races' AA buffed forces you to find a new strat. The only applicable experience would probably be simply getting used to the play mechanics such as hotkeys, mbs and stuff. I doubt this is something that takes everyone else months to learn.

Praetor_Ixab
06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
yeah i dont think participating in beta will give anyone a huge advantage, mainly because it will change so much throughout Beta that it won't play the same from week to week. sure, those players in Beta will have a chance earlier than the rest of us to adapt, but the gap won't be big enough to call it "unfair". maybe "unfortunate because I didn't get ot play the Beta" advantage?

Medzo
06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Anyone else think that all of those lucky enough to get a beta key are getting an unfair advantage on all those others who would like to be competitive when the game comes out but will not have had the months of practice? It's irritating because people will NOT be on a level playing field when SC2 comes out, because half of them playing it will have been playing it for months in advance!

I thought the same thing for WC3. Anyway it didn't turn out that way. There really are that many changes that happen, and for some reason they threw out the biggest patches right at the end of beta (for nearly all their games so far).

Now they will have some advantage, mostly in dealing with the UI, maps, or how some units "feel". It wont be too hard to catch up if you dont play any beta.

SaharaDrac
06-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I have participated in every Blizzard beta since Diablo II. (god, I can't believe that was 9 years ago!) I am now 25, and literally EVERY single beta, some kid has made this thread. Seriously, EVERY time. Here's the best part:

I still find it hilarious.

Bisso
06-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I am rly jaelous, not because people are getting an advantage (rofl?) but because THEY CAN PLAY THE GAME. NOOOOO, i wanna playyyyy

I will probably download the client just to look at the main menu :(

SlickR
06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Nah. Most people that plan to play competitive got their beta keys. Normal people just play for fun. Ergo it don't matter.

This and the balance is going to change so much during the beta that ones that played it won't be at an big advantage!

Santrega
06-20-2009, 06:00 PM
lol, all of you got totally trolled...

RamiZ
06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
We will probably get our hands on the Beta 1 month after release or so, dunno how much time Hackers need to react :D :D :D

Warsaw
06-21-2009, 12:10 PM

I concur. If they really wanted to play so competitive they would of been long time fans, community fans, etc... They would get them selves a key.

Capsblock
06-23-2009, 09:17 PM
just download like 20 replays before you play your first ranked and then you can pwn some noob ass