PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 needed in the SC2 beta?

Pick
06-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I have a theory on how to increase my chances for a beta slot and wanted to know if there is any merit to this idea or if it will not matter.

This is the timeline that I think we are all expecting:

Windows 7 beta is available now.

Starcraft 2 beta starts “very soon”

Windows 7 announced that they will release October 22, 2009.

Starcraft 2 will most likely release in November for holiday shopping season.

So… my question is this: With Blizzard releasing their new game a month after Microsoft releases their new operating system, will Blizzard make an effort to add some Windows 7 beta users into the SC2 beta?

If I install Windows 7 now, update my Battle.Net info, and then represent what I assume will be a small minority of 7 users who signed up for Battle.Net, will it increase my chances at being chosen so Blizzard can test the new system?

Opinions? Thoughts? Pick is so desperate that he is coming up with stupid ideas?

RainbowToeSocks
06-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I doubt it, Most people will still be using Vista or even XP. People dont automatically update to a new operating system the second it comes out. They'll make it work for an operating system they know wont glitch out n fuck up.

EvilGenius
06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think it's a "small" minority... the release candidates have been available for a LONG time now - and microsoft isn't limiting how many keys go out. I think there's a lot more people using it then you may have thought.

Regardless, Windows 7 rocks, and you should put it on even if it won't help your beta chances

spychi
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
There will be no problem with running SC2 beta or final version with Win7 rig
that's 100% sure

Blazur
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I'd agree with you that by installing Windows 7, you're placing yourself in a minority group and improving your chances on getting in based on specs. Likewise for Mac users.

Gritten
06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I've been running Windows 7 since probably a bit before of October of last year. I have my system, my laptop, my daughters computer and my wife running it.

Of all the OS's ever released by MS it's by far my favourite, and seemingly most stable. It's WAY leaner than Vista, but still not as lean as XP unfortunately, but we're looking at how many years since XP was released. For a beta, Win7 is unbelievably amazing, especially for gaming (I do a lot of that and have had 0 compatibility issues with games).

My prediction is that a decent % sample will be users on RC1. It won't be hard to find RC1 users though, as mentioned before, it's been open beta since January, and they're giving away endless keys.

Gritten

Hav0x
06-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been running Windows 7 since probably a bit before of October of last year. I have my system, my laptop, my daughters computer and my wife running it.

Of all the OS's ever released by MS it's by far my favourite, and seemingly most stable. It's WAY leaner than Vista, but still not as lean as XP unfortunately, but we're looking at how many years since XP was released. For a beta, Win7 is unbelievably amazing, especially for gaming (I do a lot of that and have had 0 compatibility issues with games).

My prediction is that a decent % sample will be users on RC1. It won't be hard to find RC1 users though, as mentioned before, it's been open beta since January, and they're giving away endless keys.

GrittenThere is no RC1, there is only RC. Microsoft is only releasing 1 Release Candidate before RTM.

Gritten
06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
There is no RC1, there is only RC. Microsoft is only releasing 1 Release Candidate before RTM.

Sorry - it's the first RC, and with the many MS beta's I've been involved in, I'm used to saying RC1 on the first release candidate. There is technically incremental RC versions, but they're internal and not released to the public. They're just improved builds as they move towards RTM

Rizhall
06-18-2009, 08:37 PM
A little OT, but you guys think switching from XP to Windows 7 is a good switch as far as gaming goes?

I know vista had some issues running the older games, and I was wondering if 7 had similar issues.

Hav0x
06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
A little OT, but you guys think switching from XP to Windows 7 is a good switch as far as gaming goes?

I know vista had some issues running the older games, and I was wondering if 7 had similar issues.
Depends on your rig. If it's not ancient you shouldn't really see any big variations between XP and 7. If your rig is fairly new then I would say absolutely.

Rizhall
06-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Depends on your rig. If it's not ancient you shouldn't really see any big variations between XP and 7. If your rig is fairly new then I would say absolutely.

It's a very good build I put together myself, but didn't want to use Vista because of the limitations.
I have 4GB of RAM in this baby that I can't use fully because XP limits it to 2.75

But I feel age will catch up with XP very soon, and I might finally start missing out by not having DirectX10

I heard Vista couldn't run the original Starcraft. Is that still true? Is this true for W7 too?

Gifted
06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
It's a very good build I put together myself, but didn't want to use Vista because of the limitations.
I have 4GB of RAM in this baby that I can't use fully because XP limits it to 2.75

But I feel age will catch up with XP very soon, and I might finally start missing out by not having DirectX10

I heard Vista couldn't run the original Starcraft. Is that still true? Is this true for W7 too?I have Vista 32 basic and starcraft works like a dream. However, running starcraft on a 26inch widescreen flat panel shows pixels in a nice wide format of doom :)

Hav0x
06-18-2009, 10:31 PM

I heard Vista couldn't run the original Starcraft. Is that still true? Is this true for W7 too?I have not seen a single game that Vista or W7 would not run at all. Sometimes you have to set older games to compatibility mode to get them to work but every one that i have tried works like a charm. And as for StarCraft, it runs perfectly, no difference between XP and Vista/W7.

spychi
06-18-2009, 11:26 PM

I heard Vista couldn't run the original Starcraft. Is that still true? Is this true for W7 too?

not 2.75 but 3.23

Gritten
06-19-2009, 12:06 AM
It's a very good build I put together myself, but didn't

I won't go into complete tech overload here, but the reason your full 4gb doesn't show up isn't because you're using XP - but rather because you're using a 32-bit operating system.

The only way you'll ever see the full 4gb is if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS. Other wise you'll show 2.75 - 3.75 (ish) gig.

Even if you upgrade to Windows 7 32-bit you'll experience the same issue.

Gritten

Rizhall
06-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I won't go into complete tech overload here, but the reason your full 4gb doesn't show up isn't because you're using XP - but rather because you're using a 32-bit operating system.

The only way you'll ever see the full 4gb is if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS. Other wise you'll show 2.75 - 3.75 (ish) gig.

Gritten

Oh I see.
I knew switching to XP 64-bit fixes the problem. I wasn't aware it was the 32-bit in general.

I heard XP 64-bit has compatibility issues, not just with games, but some programs in general. Does Vista 64 have similar issues?
I may just try the Windows 7 beta to see how the performance is affected.
I'm assuming the beta will also wipe the hard drive, so I should probably get to backing up what I need.
Thanks for the help~

Norfindel
06-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I have Vista 32 basic and starcraft works like a dream. However, running starcraft on a 26inch widescreen flat panel shows pixels in a nice wide format of doom :)
mmm... Maybe it can't run in 64-bit OSs. They don't support 16-bit applications, and i bet Starcraft is one of them.
About the screen, you should activate the video board's fit-to-screen feature. It works *lots* better than most in-monitor stuff. I recommend using the "fit to aspect ratio" option.

Gritten
That said, there is a Win7 64-bit version. Hell, there's even a WinXP 64-bit version. I have both installed right now.

Gritten
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh I see.
I knew switching to XP 64-bit fixes the problem. I wasn't aware it was the 32-bit in general.

I heard XP 64-bit has compatibility issues, not just with games, but some programs in general. Does Vista 64 have similar issues?
I may just try the Windows 7 beta to see how the performance is affected.
I'm assuming the beta will also wipe the hard drive, so I should probably get to backing up what I need.
Thanks for the help~

Windows xp 64-bit version didn't really have compatibility issues per say...it had a lack of 64-bit driver / application support. Now that we've had Winxp64, Vista 64 bit out for...2 years(??) and Win7 out for about 1.5 years or more with 64 bit version, the driver support is much more available, along with native 64-bit applications / games.

As for a hard drive wipe with the WIn7 install - yes unfortunately you can only install via the clean installation method. No working upgrade. You could do it from beta1 to RC but that's not going to help you ;)

Norfindel
06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I just installed Starcraft. It seems to work perfectly in XP 64-bit. In Win7 64-bit there seems to be an issue with video: all screens except where you're actually playing a battle, show some areas incorrectly displaying bright "fluo" colors. Probably an issue with the video driver, however. I'm using the integrated Radeon 3200 graphics.

SlickR
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I'd agree with you that by installing Windows 7, you're placing yourself in a minority group and improving your chances on getting in based on specs. Likewise for Mac users.

I agree. Although the biggest thing would be your graphic card and processor.
If you are in the very high end or very low end of the SC2 req. spectrum I think your chances increase!

Hav0x
06-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I just installed Starcraft. It seems to work perfectly in XP 64-bit. In Win7 64-bit there seems to be an issue with video: all screens except where you're actually playing a battle, show some areas incorrectly displaying bright "fluo" colors. Probably an issue with the video driver, however. I'm using the integrated Radeon 3200 graphics.That happens in other versions of windows as well, its not limited to 64bit Win7.