PDA

View Full Version : Infestor's Infestation Idea

PsiWarp
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Welcome! I've been thinking about the introduction of Disease and the Spawn Infested Terran ability, and kept on feeling that "those aren't gonna cut it" for this giant evil maggot!

P.S. Scroll to the bottom of the post for Summary :D

Let me direct your attention to this new screenshot:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5554/841245227935.jpg

Those three dark and orange maggots are the Infestors, and I must say that angle makes them feel more worm-like than previously noted.

Anyway, without further ado, here's an idea to bring back Maelstrom and Infestation-

Infestation (125 energy, AoE circle selection): The Infestor launches 5 globs from its smoke mounds, which attach to 5 non-massive, non-psionic enemy ground units to sprout Zerg gunk randomly on their body. During this process, the affected units become immobile (screaming and struggling), and after 5 seconds 1 Infested Terran/Zerg/Protoss will spawn BESIDE each victim. Affected units can move, attack and cast abilities after duration.

Infestation requires research from the Infestor Pit after a Hive has been established, making this ability a tier 3 ability on a tier 2.5 caster.

- - -
Gameplay:

This ability is essentially "Maelstrom" at its most basic level, without limitation on biological units. Let's see what it can affect:

Terran: SCV, Marine, Marauder, Reaper, Hellion, Siege Tank.
Protoss: Probe, Zealot, Stalker, Immortal, Dark Templar.
Zerg: Drone, Zergling, Baneling, Roach, Hydralisk, Lurker.

These units are virtually the majority of any ground force, excluding the Psionic (Ghost, High Templar, Archon, Disruptor, Queen, Infestor) and the Massive (Colossus and Ultralisk). Quite the wide variety to use on :P

Some technical stuff: When hit with Infestation, permanently cloaked or temporarily cloaked units will appear for the duration of 5 seconds. Dark Templar will become helplessly exposed, and burrowed Zerg units will unburrow (then burrow again after Infested Zerg spawns).
- - -
Lore:

Now I know what you guys are wondering: "What the heck, there aren't supposed to be any infested Protoss or Zerg!"

So here's how I'm explaining it: The infestation spores consist of highly adaptive organisms that can mutate from absorbing DNA, which physically reconstitute into an advanced form of the experimental species (advanced infestation).

In short, this isn't the customary infestation we're used to seeing. Instead of mutating the host, the host's DNA mutate the spores into a more controlled and stable form of an infested specimen, basically skipping the earlier step of Infestation.

Now, I know it doesn't make sense the units don't get damaged. However, Gameplay-wise you've just disabled 5 Siege Tanks from doing anything for 5 seconds, and having 5 Infested Terrans take them apart right beside them!
- - -
Aesthetics:

This section is based purely on graphics. Marines would drop to the ground on their knees screaming and struggling, Zealots would shake violently trying to stop the growth, Siege Tanks would power down temporarily with sparks, etc.

There's a lot of animation possibilities!

Important to note: Even though there will be 3 models of the infested units (Infested Terran, Infested Protoss, Infested Zerg), they all do the same things and only look different.

They are just like the current Infested Terran units, able to attack air and ground units, move slowly, and lasts a short time until dying naturally (roughly 10 seconds, if I recall correctly).
- - -

Big post, small recap!

1) Infestation costs 125 energy to cast, AoE selection.
2) Research from Infestor Pit (Hive to unlock research)
3) 5 non-massive and non-psionic GROUND units become immobile for 5 seconds.
4) Spawns Infested Terran/Zerg/Protoss depending on enemy units' race without harming the hosts (until they get devoured anyway).

What do you guys think?

-Psi (Thanks Scorpio for the screenshot find!)

n00bonicPlague
06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
First, tell me where you got that screenie.

Then we can talk :)

ArcherofAiur
06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Where did you get that screenshot?

PsiWarp
06-17-2009, 11:12 PM
*Facepalm*

Thank Scorpio for his New Screenshot thread :P

LINKIE IF UR LAZY: http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245&page=13

-Psi

n00bonicPlague
06-17-2009, 11:18 PM
oh, lol -- thought that only had the ones we had seen back in May, so I didn't read it.

Anyway, I think your ability has potential. It would be interesting to test out.

RainbowToeSocks
06-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Why doesn't anyone know about that screen!? I swear we saw it ages ago!! or was it just me?

PsiWarp
06-17-2009, 11:54 PM
It was just you RTSocks :P

As for the ability itself, I find it really interesting because it is just like an inverse Warp-In (heck, you can even cast it on warped-in zealots from a Proxy Warp Prism xD). It can be quite devastating when enough units are caught by the AoE selection!

-Psi

RainbowToeSocks
06-18-2009, 12:08 AM
technically all protoss are psionic sooooo :p wouldnt work on them in the lore sense but yeah.

so are the units free to move as soon as the infested units are spawned?

PsiWarp
06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Indeed, unless they are stationary from the start, such as burrowed units or a Tank in Siege Mode.

In fact, this ability is ideal for economy harassment, because the Probe/SCV/Drone involved would simply become idle (not harvesting resources!) after the Infested units spawn.

Unless of course, they are being attacked :P

-Psi

RainbowToeSocks
06-18-2009, 12:12 AM
I see I see
sounds interesting