PDA

View Full Version : Karune vs Highland3r: Karune wins

Gifted
06-11-2009, 09:35 PM
If you've followed the forums lately, you know about Highland3r. One of the more grammatically correct trolls/funny peeps who have been confirming beta coming out every day and taking the day off work each time. His newest thread managed quite a bit of response.

If you want to read his original post and the reply: http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/bn-forums/17730424125-100-confirmed-beta-june-12-2009.html

Karune:

If I had a dollar for every wrong guess you had...

I laughed out loud.

ArcherofAiur
06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Highlan3r has been spamming the forums for days, karune makes one quick remark and you think Karune won?

Sigh I wish we had bashiok for a moderator. Karunes nice but I could train a parakeet to have more community interaction.

n00bonicPlague
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
It's true that Bashiok is a far better moderator; however, Karune and Cydra have made progress, and I am happy for that.

Given the ultimate option, I would not trade them in.

Pandonetho
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Since when have they made any progress? Besides just a few posts recently, they haven't posted at all in a very long time.

DemolitionSquid
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd trade for Bashiok.

Acctually, no. D3 needs him too.

I'd CLONE Bashiok and replace Karune and Cydra with him(s).

ArcherofAiur
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
It's true that Bashiok is a far better moderator; however, Karune and Cydra have made progress, and I am happy for that.

Screenshot or it didnt happen.

Gifted
06-12-2009, 12:11 AM
First, I just found the comment itself very comical. Thus the intention of the thread.

Now if you want to argue that Karune isn't posting enough, I can see that point. Here's a history of the last month, of which he's been gone for 1-2 weeks to Korea if I'm correct. Karune alone has posted 40 times in the last 30 days. Of those posts I'd consider 5-6 of them "wasted" as they are simply announcements. That doesn't involve the other members of the team who post. But all and all, he's posting what he CAN post about, I can see that. Eh, I'm on the fence.

Granted, compare that to Ghostcrawler of the WoW community and it's dwarfed (I think he writes 1-5 walls of text a day but that is also a different community in size/force and the actual game is RELEASED and not in development.)

Source: http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/21-starcraft-2/1.html

1 Karune 4 hours ago
1 Karune 10 hours ago
1 Cydra Yesterday
1 Karune 2 days ago
5 Karune 3 days ago
1 Karune 7 days ago
3 Karune 7 days ago
1 Karune 7 days ago
2 Karune 9 days ago
1 Karune 9 days ago
1 Karune 9 days ago
1 Karune 9 days ago
1 Cydra May 28, 09
1 Karune May 28, 09
1 Karune May 28, 09
1 Karune May 27, 09 (Note: QA 51 and it's update on May 27th)
37 Karune May 27, 09
2 Karune May 27, 09
1 Karune May 27, 09
1 Karune May 27, 09
7 Xordiah May 27, 09
6 Karune May 26, 09
1 Karune May 26, 09
3 Karune May 26, 09
3 Karune May 26, 09
1 Cydra May 26, 09
1 Karune May 26, 09
1 Cydra May 21, 09
1 Crygil May 21, 09
1 Cydra May 20, 09
1 Cavez May 19, 09
1 Cavez May 15, 09
1 Cavez May 15, 09
1 Cavez May 12, 09

SpiderBrigade
06-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Granted, compare that to Ghostcrawler of the WoW community and it's dwarfed (I think he writes 1-5 walls of text a day but that is also a different community in size/force and the actual game is RELEASED and not in development.)This is the key point. Karune is supposed to be the Community guy for SC and SC2, right? Similar to what Ghostcrawler is for WoW or Bashiok for Diablo. Fair to say they have similar responsibilities. So...those other guys post. A lot, right? So what is Karune doing that prevents him from posting that much?

horror
06-12-2009, 01:11 AM
i laughed at the fact that he found hat comment funny

Gifted
06-12-2009, 03:01 AM
@horror: I did, I find Highland3r rather annoying but at least entertaining in the way frying ants with a magnifying glass funny.

@SpiderBrigade: I'm sure he's getting work done and we're not ones to judge what his day is full of. The major point is the difference between the two communities is the stage of development of the game. Ghostcrawler almost didn't exist in vocabulary until games hit public beta. Before then Ghost would communicate much like Karune. The moment Beta came out and all the constructive feedback was coming, Ghost made it a two way street and the flood began.

In terms with Karune's job, it has very little to do with us actually, it's one of the side responsibilities. Ultimately, does it matter that we know the stats of the newest game mechanic today versus tomorrow? And before I hear any counter-points relating to letting us know key information about b.net 2.0 and beta release dates... I'm sure we can all understand that whether he can tell us that or not is outside of his hands and up to Blizzard protocol.

Read his job description if you want and you'll see it primarily handles items between employees and communities within different portions of the company (Remember, he just got back from Korea) http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/pr-community-manager-na.html

I don't want to defend the man, but I merely read comments about how we're so important in the process. Ultimately we're on the sidelines right now and people don't want to admit that. We'd rather touch/play a game we've craved for years and imagined for a decade and are getting impatient as we're nearing the next stage in the process.

*plink plink* my two cents/opinion.

EDIT: Correcting some grammar because it matters :)

ArcherofAiur
06-12-2009, 06:40 AM
@horror: I did, I find Highland3r rather annoying but at least entertaining in the way frying ants with a magnifying glass funny.

@SpiderBrigade: I'm sure he's getting work done and we're not ones to judge what his day is full of. The major point is the difference between the two communities is the stage of development of the game. Ghostcrawler almost didn't exist in vocabulary until games hit public beta. Before then Ghost would communicate much like Karune. The moment Beta came out and all the constructive feedback was coming, Ghost made it a two way street and the flood began.

D3 is in pre-alpha. If there is anyone who has nothing to talk about its Bashiok.

In terms with Karune's job, it has very little to do with us actually, it's one of the side responsibilities. Ultimately, does it matter that we know the stats of the newest game mechanic today versus tomorrow? And before I hear any counter-points relating to letting us know key information about b.net 2.0 and beta release dates... I'm sure we can all understand that whether he can tell us that or not is outside of his hands and up to Blizzard protocol.

I agree that he isnt absollutly postivily required to post as per his job. We arnt saying otherwise. We are saying that we would rather have bashiok who still posts eventhough it isnt absolutily required. There is something to be said for voluntary commitment.

Kimera757
06-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Didn't Kaune use to post a lot more when StarCraft II was first announced? It could be a development timeline thing.

Blazur
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Didn't Kaune use to post a lot more when StarCraft II was first announced? It could be a development timeline thing.

On the contrary, Karune used to post much less earlier on. As the game progressed he posted more frequently in the forums, directly answering and commenting on many questions. He also became joined by Cavez and Cydra over time.

In part I don't blame him. That forum is a cesspool for idiots. If you had the choice of playing SC2 or posting in the SC2GDF which would you choose? :)

Gifted
06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
D3 is in pre-alpha. If there is anyone who has nothing to talk about its Bashiok.

I agree that he isnt absollutly postivily required to post as per his job. We arnt saying otherwise. We are saying that we would rather have bashiok who still posts eventhough it isnt absolutily required. There is something to be said for voluntary commitment. You know... I can't argue with that logic overall. Good point made.

sandwich_bird
06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Karune... Fix the forum already instead of siding with the trolls.

TheEconomist
06-12-2009, 04:47 PM
From what I can tell, Diablo 3's community is better than SC2GDF's community. If I were Karune, I wouldn't even post.

Norfindel
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Karune just answers some questions on Wednesdays, and that's all the posting he does.

Maybe he's too busy because the game is on development, but this would be the best time to have community interaction -_-;

GGTeMpLaR
06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=17730424125&sid=3000&pageNo=23

Karune: 2
Highland3r: 0

ArcherofAiur
06-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Gradius, can you tell us what Karune does? Perhaps we can gain a better appreciation for all the work he does for us.

ChaosSmurf
06-14-2009, 12:58 PM
He posts. In blue. And manages the community. What do you think he does?

Also why does anyone care about Battle.net in general, trolls in particular?

Gifted
06-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Gradius, can you tell us what Karune does? Perhaps we can gain a better appreciation for all the work he does for us.

I think we can continue this conversation in the thread labeled "I wonder what Karune actually does?" http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435

EDIT: oh, it got closed :) But yeah, there's a solid post in that link by me about his position and what he does according to their website description of the job and my interpretation/opinions to help thoughts. In short, majority of his work has very little to do with the SC forum. It's more a manager/PR job

ArcherofAiur
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I think we can continue this conversation in the thread labeled "I wonder what Karune actually does?" http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435

EDIT: oh, it got closed :) But yeah, there's a solid post in that link by me about his position and what he does according to their website description of the job and my interpretation/opinions to help thoughts. In short, majority of his work has very little to do with the SC forum. It's more a manager/PR job

But why does bashiok make huge detailed posts and karure doesnt? Arnt the jobs similar?

SpiderBrigade
06-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I think the other thread got closed because it was starting to take on an "anti-Karune" or "complaining" tone which isn't really appropriate. Obviously he does a lot more than post on the forums which we can't see.

I guess the better question for me is this. If we compare how much Karune posts to how much people like Bashiok etc. post, it's fair to say that Karune posts less because he's devoted to other important tasks involved in Community Management. So shouldn't Blizzard get someone to dedicate themselves primarily to forum-management (aka posting) the way Bashiok etc. do?

edit: Archer, I guess the assumption is that Karune is somehow "higher-level." In other words Karune is the overall Community Management guy and also the SC2 Community Manager, whereas Bashiok is just the Diablo CM. I don't know if that's actually true but it would explain a lot.

But it again raises the question of why Blizzard has organized it that way, with dedicated managers for the Diablo, WoW, etc. forums while Karune wears two hats. It seems obvious to me that the level of interaction would suffer relative to the dedicated CMs, since he has so much other important stuff to work on.

n00bonicPlague
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM
There's personalities to consider. Bashiok is just much more laid back. Karune seems pretty uptight. In terms of info they provide the same amount. Bashiok just posts more random personal stuff -- if you go look at the D3 forums, half of his posts are nonsense things. Bashiok doesn't mind responding to random questions, while Karune likes to make nice little batches for us -- with the occasional use of a random question to delve out new info.

Also, his job must have been fairly demanding for Blizz to hire an assistant CM (Cydra). And they cover all RTS games, not just SC2. Sure, the only other RTS is WC3 but who knows what's going on.

ChaosSmurf
06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
But why does bashiok make huge detailed posts and karure doesnt? Arnt the jobs similar?

What? Their posts are as detailed as each other, in my experience.

Gifted
06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
But why does bashiok make huge detailed posts and karure doesnt? Arnt the jobs similar?You know... I had this beautiful explanation/wall of text, but the above posts which I read after making mine were well written that I would rather not restate them in less elegant means :)

Well put above.

ArcherofAiur
06-14-2009, 08:43 PM
What? Their posts are as detailed as each other, in my experience.

Has Karune ever made a post this long and detailed?

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=11296624916&postId=132739552120#132739552120

Norfindel
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Has Karune ever made a post this long and detailed?

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=11296624916&postId=132739552120#132739552120
The batches count? :rolleyes:

ArcherofAiur
06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
The batches count? :rolleyes:

If its an individual question responce that is 6 paragraphs long then yes. If its a bunch of reponces that are each 1-4 sentences long then no.

Thats the detailed part.

Gifted
06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
If its an individual question responce that is 6 paragraphs long then yes. If its a bunch of reponces that are each 1-4 sentences long then no.

Thats the detailed part.
You're comparing a community manager who is seeking advice for a pre-alpha stage product (flexible/seeking direction) with a manager who is currently working with a pre-beta/beta stage product that has a direction and is setting up polish.

Here's two examples of Karune's post when SC2 was Alpha/Pre-alpha, these should help you answer your question.

http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/us-forums/3389609959-december-discussion-topic-artistic-direction.html

http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/bn-forums/10697501130-starcraft-ii-discussion-topic-zerg-creep.html

They may not be paragraph format, but that's just a different style. The suggestions in these threads were formatted nice and neat, allowing for an easier time for data to be understood by the development team.

ChaosSmurf
06-15-2009, 04:53 AM
What would you want a post that detailed about anyway? It's pretty hard to compare D3s and SC2s changes from their last game - things are being done in different ways. Not that I know as much about D2 as I do SC, but that seems like it was quite a substantial change; akin to making SC2 a three resource or one resource system (ala WC2 and C&C respectively). More importantly I suppose, how much actual information is there in there? Okay, there's lots of reasoning, which is fine and I wouldn't complain if we got some, but I'm not exactly missing it. If beta comes around and there are obvious problems, or things the community is complaining about and we don't get any reasoning then, I would say there is a problem.

Also, I think we should stop this Bashiok vs. Karune bollocks, but that's just me.

ArcherofAiur
06-15-2009, 07:54 AM
You're comparing a community manager who is seeking advice for a pre-alpha stage product (flexible/seeking direction) with a manager who is currently working with a pre-beta/beta stage product that has a direction and is setting up polish.

Here's two examples of Karune's post when SC2 was Alpha/Pre-alpha, these should help you answer your question.

http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/us-forums/3389609959-december-discussion-topic-artistic-direction.html

http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/bn-forums/10697501130-starcraft-ii-discussion-topic-zerg-creep.html

They may not be paragraph format, but that's just a different style. The suggestions in these threads were formatted nice and neat, allowing for an easier time for data to be understood by the development team.

Those karune posts arnt detailed at all. But I kinda agree with Chaossmurf. Perhaps we should stop the Bashiok vs. Karune bollocks. We can wait for beta and see if we get more detailed posts then.

Gifted
06-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Those karune posts arnt detailed at all. But I kinda agree with Chaossmurf. Perhaps we should stop the Bashiok vs. Karune bollocks. We can wait for beta and see if we get more detailed posts then.No matter the case of detail, the goal will still be the same :) The team needs results/information and both posts (though written in different styles) will provide the needed results. Good to see it closing though :) I'm done with it.

Onto the original subject, I still laughed at the secondary comment about +1$ :)