PDA

View Full Version : Unit Noises

Perfecttear
06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Units in starcraft 2 alredy have different death animations, so do any of you know if there will different noises for the different deaths, or just multiple sounds a unit can make when it dies? You get bored after a while, off hearing the same arghh sound the marine makes in sc1. So do you think there should be many different death sounds a unit can make?

The other thing that i'm wondering is, do you think that the zerg units should talk when you click multiple times on them, like the ghoul from warcraft 3.

In sc1 :
* Drones emit a mechanical-sounding whine. When clicked multiple times, they gargle a sound resembling "Stop!"
* Zerglings make a clicking sound. When they snarl, the clicking sound is mixed with the noise. When pestered long enough, they will shout an audible "Stop!"
* Scourge make a high-pitched screech.
* Guardians, devourers and queens give deep, low roars. If clicked on long enough, guardians will emit a deep laugh, which ends in a choking sound.
* Defilers make low snarls. When clicked multiple times, two of the snarls resemble "Hey!" and "You there!"
* Broodlings make impatient sneering shouts. When clicked for long enough, they chitter and laugh.
* Ultralisks also give low roars.
* Lurkers give low, somewhat 'hollow' roars, and actually laugh (in human sense) when clicked enough times.
* Mutalisks make a screaming sort of noise.

So would you like that the zerg actually say something in sc2, or do you want it the same way as in sc1.

DemolitionSquid
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
In NO WAY should basic Zerg EVER speak.

Zabimaru
06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Dude, you forgot hydras. They say, “Yeah” in a long drawn out way.

Blazur
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I love the probe "Chuwant?" and "Meow?"

Josue
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Dude, you forgot hydras. They say, “Yeah” in a long drawn out way.

All this just remembers me the March vespene laughs winner Sara Jensen:

http://www.starcraft2.com/features/contests/images/US/0903-3.jpg

I think it should remain the same as in SC1, otherwise units may lose the characteristic feeling they had.

Perfecttear
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
In NO WAY should basic Zerg EVER speak.
You didn't explain why not.

DemolitionSquid
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
You didn't explain why not.

Because there's no lore, reason, or need for it.

Zerg are mostly mindless. They are animals, evolved from animals.

And it helps in racial diversity for them not to speak, but instead growl like animals.

Gifted
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd be ok with each of them having a common word they "screech" out later on in their own fashion. I think it could have some interesting polish to have each of them say (or butcher) Kerrigan at the end of their click speech. Banelings bubbling out Kerrigan (which wouldn't sound much like it) would be interesting at least.

SaharaDrac
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I believe that them making disgustng random noises is the only appropriate soundset for the Zerg. Plus, it's a lot of fun to imagine your own words in there for them. To me the way that the cerebrates and overmind can speak english to you in the original SC is awkward (but necessary), and takes away from their mystery.

Wankey
06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Zerg have always been a sort of heavily modified human voice. I mean Hydralisk really do say yyeeaaah? Where are they if you listen closely.

mr. peasant
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I agree with Wankey. Use human phrases and modified the heck out of them. Like what they did with the 'fell beasts' in LOTR:

Click for Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7apQ_lHygk)

n00bonicPlague
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
[ultralisk]: I'M THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH!!!

Norfindel
06-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Zerg = creepy "animal" noises. Thank you.
Units with brain should speak, of course.

mr. peasant
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I think what Blizzard could do is sample real animal sounds and modify them. Then, obsessive fans can waste their time away trying to figure out which animal was used for each Zerg unit, thereby creating a somewhat fun easter egg and give the Zerg some sort of equivalent to the 'pissed' comments the other two races get.

Perfecttear
06-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Zerg = creepy "animal" noises. Thank you.
Units with brain should speak, of course.
So you are saying that the zerg units don't have brains.
And i am not asking if they should talk, when you play normally with them, like move and attack commands, but if they should say anything when you click on them multiple times for those special quotes.:p

Norfindel
06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
So you are saying that the zerg units don't have brains.
The Xel'Naga unified all the Zerg minds into the Overmind, so that the Zerg units are automats. They have some ability to function "disconnected", but nothing complex. I wonder what's the fate of all the Zerg units left in Aiur, and if Kerrigan could control all of the Zerg swarm, or had to send the whatever replaced the Cerebrates to take control of them.

And i am not asking if they should talk, when you play normally with them, like move and attack commands, but if they should say anything when you click on them multiple times for those special quotes.:p
Still, i don't think they should speak, no matter how many times you click on them. It would be too weird if they did.

SpiderBrigade
06-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I would support giving the Zerg "annoyed" sounds similar to what was in the first game. In other words, animal shrieks and growls that are based on, or sound vaguely like, speech, but still mostly sound like standard Zerg noises.

Perhaps some select units (queens for instance, since they have a humanoid torso, or of course Infested Terrans) could have real recognizable speech, but the bulk of zerg forces should not.