PDA

View Full Version : SC:L Fan Fiction Contest

Gradius
06-09-2009, 06:37 PM
http://sclegacy.com/forums/../images/uploaded/starcraftiinews/betakeycontest/fanfiction.png

Welcome to StarCraft: Legacy's Fan Fiction Contest! For this contest we invite participants to submit an original 600 word or less story set in the StarCraft universe. Entries will be judged based on creativity, professionalism/quality, adherence to the StarCraft canon, and visceral achievement. The aim is to create and describe an extremely vivid or compelling moment set in the StarCraft universe.

The following prizes are up for grabs:
1st - 1 StarCraft II Beta Key and a StarCraft novel of your choice
2nd - 1 StarCraft II Beta Key
3rd - 1 StarCraft II Beta Key
4th - 1 StarCraft II Beta Key
The deadline for the contest is July 26th. Send your submissions to contests[at]sclegacy.com with your SC:L username and "Fan-Fiction Contest Submission" as the subject. Good luck everyone!

http://sclegacy.com/forums/../features/break.png

This is a StarCraft: Legacy (http://sclegacy.com/ (http://sclegacy.com/forums/../)) Contest.

http://sclegacy.com/forums/../features/sclball.png (http://sclegacy.com/forums/../)

DemolitionSquid
06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Pretty impressive you guys got at least 20 beta keys to give out (5 contests x 4 prizes each).

Tom Phoenix
06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Waw, I might actually be able to utilise my talents for once. Thank you very much for this contest. I hope my submission will not dissapoint. ;)

So if I understand correctly, we must artistically describe a moment from the game/books?

DemolitionSquid
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM
So if I understand correctly, we must artistically describe a moment from the game/books?

What? NO.

You create an original story set in the Starcraft universe. It just needs to be lore-accurate. You can even invent new characters.

Tom Phoenix
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
What? NO.

You create an original story set in the Starcraft universe. It just needs to be lore-accurate. You can even invent new characters.

Ah, alright. Sorry, I misunderstood the instructions.

n00bonicPlague
06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Only 600 words?

Wow, that is short O_o

Alex06
06-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Guys...I think I know when the beta begins.
July 26th!

On a more serious note, that's a lot of contests...And a lot more beta keys! Damn, did you guys hit the jackpot or what? xD

LordofAscension
06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
all for you guys :)

~LoA

SaharaDrac
06-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Just a question. Is that supposed to say six THOUSAND words, instead of 600? 600 is like...2 paragraphs.

Hawki
06-10-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm in agreement with Drac, that 600 words is very short. Still, if that is the case, is there any margin of error as to exceeding the word limit and if so, by how much?

GRUNT
06-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Not everyone can draw or paint or sculpt, but every one here can write.

Sure there are degrees to how well one can write, though I consider it a lot more 'lenient' than artwork. For example, a poor writer may have a very high-concept idea that could potentially make up for a lack of storytelling ability. In contrast, a similar high-concept idea for an artwork (maybe something minimalist, or at an intriguing camera angle) still requires a lot of skill to pull off. I think that fan fiction has a bit more of a 'crutch' in that regard.

Fan fiction competitions are therefore usually a lot more accessible than fan art contests. With a prize as delectable as a beta key, there's probably going to be a lot more entries for this contest than, say, the fan art one, and I don't think the guys here can afford to go through that many entries, if they are all over 600 words :O.

Tom Phoenix
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Not everyone can draw or paint or sculpt, but every one here can write.

Sure there are degrees to how well one can write, though I consider it a lot more 'lenient' than artwork. For example, a poor writer may have a very high-concept idea that could potentially make up for a lack of storytelling ability. In contrast, a similar high-concept idea for an artwork (maybe something minimalist, or at an intriguing camera angle) still requires a lot of skill to pull off. I think that fan fiction has a bit more of a 'crutch' in that regard.

Fan fiction competitions are therefore usually a lot more accessible than fan art contests. With a prize as delectable as a beta key, there's probably going to be a lot more entries for this contest than, say, the fan art one, and I don't think the guys here can afford to go through that many entries, if they are all over 600 words :O.

I am sorry, but that kind of logic is flawed. Unless you suffer from a handicap, there is absolutely no reason why a layman would not be able to make a painting or a sculpture. Likewise, if you lack the skill with words, then your writing will come off just as poorly as that painting or sculpture. So no, a high-concept idea will never make up for poor writing, simply because you lack the skill to convey that idea in the first place.

Having said that, it is true that there will most likely be a lot of submissions. However, that is not because writing is easier or more "lenient", as you put it, compared to other arts. It is because people think that, since it physically requires something that is more widespread compared to painting or sculpting (if our communication used pictures, this discussion would probably have been a lot different), that writing is easier compared to other art forms.

However, the problem with that line of thinking is that creative writing is different from regular writing. Writing a letter is not the same as writing a book. Just like a painter requires precision with his brush to create a masterpiece, so does a writer require precise wording to convey the deeper meaning of his work. But since most wannabe writers have difficulty understanding this, the obvious result is that the majority of books and fan fictions end up being quite terrible.

A picture may speak a thousand words, but a thousand words can convey a million pictures. Unless one grasps this concept, he will never become an excellent writer.

In any case, 600 words is a very low limit, but I suppose the Legacy administration wants to avoid reviewing entire novels (even though they have done so in the past :p). I suppose one can also regard it as an artistic challenge; trying to convey as much meaning as possible with as few words as possible.

Gradius
06-10-2009, 11:47 AM
600 words is insufficient length to write any kind of story/novelette, yes. But that's not the point of this contest:

The aim is to create and describe an extremely vivid or compelling moment set in the StarCraft universe.

I think the short length will make some of these interesting to read. Besides, most of the SC fan-fiction writers out there just got done with the Blizzard Creative Writing Contest.

And yes, 600 words is easier to judge. :)

Unless you guys want the results to come out in 2012. :D

Chalk
06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Anyone find it strange that the Hero Contest has a 1,500 word limit while this contest has less than half of that at 600? :)

I don't know if I've missed it, but is there a rule concerning multiple submissions? Are we allowed to have more than one submission per contest, and are we allowed to submit to more than one contest?

Blazur
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Unless you guys want the results to come out in 2012. :)

Should coincide with the release of this game. Or at the very least the beta for SC2:Zerg.

n00bonicPlague
06-10-2009, 03:24 PM
600 words is insufficient length to write any kind of story/novelette, yes. But that's not the point of this contest:

I think the short length will make some of these interesting to read. Besides, most of the SC fan-fiction writers out there just got done with the Blizzard Creative Writing Contest.

And yes, 600 words is easier to judge. :)

Unless you guys want the results to come out in 2012. :DOh, I see. That makes sense :)

And rofl, Blazur :D

GRUNT
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
In any case, 600 words is a very low limit, but I suppose the Legacy administration wants to avoid reviewing entire novels (even though they have done so in the past :p). I suppose one can also regard it as an artistic challenge; trying to convey as much meaning as possible with as few words as possible.

That's how I feel, as well. Creativity's borne out of restriction :].

Anyway, about your earlier comments, I'm still going to have to stand by my statement. I really feel that one can, for example, still present the reader with an interesting moral dilemma in a story even if the writer isn't especially talented. That creative gap between "oh! I've got an idea!" and translating that into a particular form is smaller with writing than it is with painting (random example). However, I do believe that just having a creative idea doesn't make up for bad writing. Like you said, there's a difference between writing technically and writing creatively, but the difference with this and painting is that the technical skills in order to write creatively are already in place for most people. As you pointed out, this leads a lot of people to write bad fan fiction :P.

That said, I can definitely see where you're coming from, so I'd be happy to just agree to disagree ;). What I believe isn't very far off from what you wrote, anyway, so we're actually almost arguing the same thing :p.

fishytoothy
06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
600 words is a short for a complete story, but it is plenty to do a short scene or moment.

Extranjero
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Are there any rules regarding foul language? Obviously over the top usage is a no-no, but the Starcraft universe isn't exactly family friendly.

Gradius
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Are there any rules regarding foul language? Obviously over the top usage is a no-no, but the Starcraft universe isn't exactly family friendly.
Just use your best judgment. We'll probably email you & tell you to change it if its overkill.

Genopath
06-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I did not receive any confirmation that my email was received. I sent it with the following subject: Woland Fan-Fiction Contest Submission

Is there something wrong?

Gradius
06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I did not receive any confirmation that my email was received. I sent it with the following subject: Woland Fan-Fiction Contest Submission

Is there something wrong?
We never said we were going to confirm emails & reply to everyone who sends something in. We got yours though.

Genopath
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the response. Just wanted to clear that up.

Panda7706
06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I think this has been asked before, but not answered.

Are we allowed to submit multiple entries?

DemolitionSquid
06-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I think this has been asked before, but not answered.

Are we allowed to submit multiple entries?

Yes, you can.

LordArreat15
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
My first fanfic is like 750 words and I finding it hard to cut it down any further. Would it be ok?

Aldrius
07-04-2009, 06:35 AM
My first fanfic is like 750 words and I finding it hard to cut it down any further. Would it be ok?

Wouldn't really be fair to those who managed to cut down their word-count to 600 would it?

Then again I'm having the exact same problem. Bah. I guess it depends on how general a guide-line it is. Is it mostly an anchor to make sure things don't turn into novella?

I've got mine down to exactly 647. Unfortunately, because I'm basing it off of a key moment that already exists in StarCraft canon, I'm having to cut down on my own words, increasing the ratio of Blizzard - Aldrius.

Hamshank
07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
all for you guys :)

~LoA

Aww, Oh my God I love you.

Aldrius
07-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Question, I'm entering 2 (possibly 3) contests. Do you want me to send in all three at once in separate attachments, or do you want separate e-mails for each?

LordofAscension
07-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Separate emails please.

~LoA

Eligor
07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Would a 1306 words submission be accepted? It IS after all shorter than the maximum of 1500 for the hero-making contest.

Gradius
07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Would a 1306 words submission be accepted? It IS after all shorter than the maximum of 1500 for the hero-making contest.
Nope. Needs to be 600. :)

Eligor
07-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Would 700 do? Or is it absolutely necessary for it to be 600?

EDIT: OK, nevermind, got it shortened to 500. :)

Obviously, you should ignore my first submission.

Xyvik
07-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Well this is my first post...hello SCLegacy, I've known about you and visited back when Brood War was exciting news.

Anyhoo, I would like to know which program you are using to do wordcount. I know that in 99% of the cases the numbers end up being the same, but I have actually had several instances where my word processor said I had X amount of words and another person's said it was a different number. My little fiction currently rests at 597 and I'd really hate to be disqualified if my number counter is acting up again.

And if this was asked before, I completely missed it, my bad.

LordofAscension
07-12-2009, 06:37 PM
That's fine.

~LoA

Xyvik
07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Awesome, thanks, I'll be sending it off shortly :)

Shadowfury333
07-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Is it okay if we re-submit, say to cut down on the word count, or to correct stuff?

Gradius
07-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah.

Aldrius
07-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Wait... does it have to be 100% original...? Can I base it off of an existing moment that I've dramatized and extrapolated on...?

I've written a 600 word story that I really enjoy and worked pretty hard on, so that's why I ask. Damn it... I should have read the instructions more thoroughly.

...If the answers 'no' I still have a week or so, but damn. All that effort for naught. :(

*Tugs at LoA and Gradius' heartstrings with sappy violin music and sad looks*

EDIT: Oh, to set a precedent, they do sell books based off of already existing stories in the StarCraft canon. :P What I'm doing's not that different.

Just to be clear, though. I won't be difficult at all. I am all too willing to write a new one, even if it's what you only slightly prefer that I do.

Gradius
07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Aldrius - yeah it's fine.

ilcane87
07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Just sent mine, hope I made it in time. ^^'

CursedCoffee
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Mine came in at 679 words and I really can't prune it down more without hurting quality. Would it be disqualified?

Edit: Nevermind. Decided to just stick to the rules and got it down to exactly 600 words lol. Off it goes! ^_^

Aldrius
07-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Sent mine off. Please let me know if there's any issues.

Arathe
07-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Sent mine in! Here's hoping. XD

honage
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm slightly curious about one thing. Say the thing that I've written about is something that is completely possible given the current state of events in the Starcraft Universe, but is in no way known about.

I.E. Arcturus Mengsk's Death

Draco97
07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Just a quick question, if we submitted something and we don't like it later, can we send in another and have the other one discarded?

rise
07-24-2009, 08:45 PM
My suggestion is to revise, edit, and polish your entry before submitting it.

I will let Gradius answer specific questions about modifying submissions. The suggestion is important regardless.

ptoss1
07-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Will the fan fiction winners be posted on the website?
And if so, when?

PosImpos
07-25-2009, 10:58 PM
I just sent mine in.

I was a little confused about the deadline.

I thought "July 26th deadline" meant that I could submit it anytime before July 27th, but based on a response in the Guest Editorial contest thread, it seems like it actually means I have to submit it anytime before July 26th.

honage
07-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Sent mine in a couple minutes ago at 11:59.

Was super fun to write it, thanks for the contest SC:L!

I definitely hope that a lot of these (and the editorials) get either put on the site or posted on the forums after the contest is over, because I know that I'd love to read more than just the winners.

WOOOOOOOW, I just discovered that there's a Starcraft lore novel named I, Mengsk. That stinks for me. I named my Fan Fic that.

Alternately, it could have been called Mengsk's Demise.

LordofAscension
07-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I just sent mine in.

I was a little confused about the deadline.

I thought "July 26th deadline" meant that I could submit it anytime before July 27th, but based on a response in the Guest Editorial contest thread, it seems like it actually means I have to submit it anytime before July 26th.

rise was mistaken - you can in-fact continue to send in your entries until 12:59 the night of July 26th.

~LoA

Oakwarrior
07-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Sent it.
I put in a little sketch to illustrate the scene, was that okay?

EDIT: I think I cocked the whole thing up. Let me know if it's being counted in or not.

ptoss1
07-26-2009, 09:00 AM
How many entries do you guys have now?

honage
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing a lot, give or take a ton.

ptoss1
07-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I sent in 2 submissions.

PosImpos
07-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing a lot, give or take a ton.

Yeah, it's going to take a while for them to read through them all.

On the plus side, the winning 4 entries should be really really good which is something to look forward to those of us who probably won't even get honorable mention.

ptoss1
07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
My writing is shit. Plus English is my second language.

GOODBYE, beta. I.........

PosImpos
07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
My writing is shit. Plus English is my second language.

GOODBYE, beta. I.........

Well, at least it's fun to write this stuff, right?

I'm not expecting much from my entry either.

Oh well, we'll enjoy SC2 when it's actually finished. :)

PosImpos
07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
rise was mistaken - you can in-fact continue to send in your entries until 12:59 the night of July 26th.

~LoA

Hah, I only just noticed your mistake.

You meant 11:59. :)

ptoss1
07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Ive sent about 4 submissions.
1 of them was an edit of an old submission. Sorry.

ptoss1
07-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, at least it's fun to write this stuff, right?

I'm not expecting much from my entry either.

Oh well, we'll enjoy SC2 when it's actually finished. :)

But i want beta...

PosImpos
07-26-2009, 06:29 PM
But i want beta...

Well, there's always the chance you could get randomly selected from the opt-in.

Or maybe your entry is actually really good and you aren't giving yourself enough credit. Who knows? Just gotta hope.

CursedCoffee
07-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, there's always the chance you could get randomly selected from the opt-in.

Or maybe your entry is actually really good and you aren't giving yourself enough credit. Who knows? Just gotta hope.

Getting selected for opt-in...I'm probably more likely to win the lottery! :D

PosImpos
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Getting selected for opt-in...I'm probably more likely to win the lottery! :D

Probably, haha. But somebody has to get in.

ptoss1
07-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I shhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllll......lose the contest
and I ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaallllllll.......los e the lottery.

Oakwarrior
07-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Well the contests are nowhere NEAR the result announcement and I'm already shitting myself. :p

ptoss1
07-27-2009, 08:26 AM
when will the results be shown

Skyze
07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I wanted to enter this contest, but I tried really hard to write something and nothing really seemed good.. I guess not being a huge sci-fi fan, I had a very difficult time coming up with a compelling story.

Hope some deserving people win.

ptoss1
07-27-2009, 09:01 AM
These contests just show talents pay off someday no matter in what area.

Skyze
07-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I woulda preferred a playing contest. I got to the semi-finals in the TL ironman tourney, but lost to stupidness =/

phar0s
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
i've send a great story yesterday but i'm sure.
Competition isn't sleeping..they are in a coma :D
nah kidding.. so it will be hard to get under top 4... >.>

ptoss1
07-27-2009, 08:35 PM
can we get a date for the results

LordofAscension
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
No, because we don't know how long it'll take us to read all of them and then come to a consensus.

This one could take us a while - this contest received the most entries by far.

~LoA

screw_ball69
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
are you guys gunna announce the winners to all of the contests at once or as you finish tabulating each one?

LordofAscension
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think we've made that call yet.

It'll probably depend on how quickly we move through them.

~LoA

Skyze
07-28-2009, 05:04 AM
also curious, could you give us an estimate on how many people entered each contest?

Oakwarrior
07-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Try not to kill yourselves reading all the entries, guys. We still need you to hand out the keys you know :)

ptoss1
07-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Did anyone try to write a story with just dialogue? The point of this contest was to describe a vivid moment in starcraft lore. So basically, we werent supposed to really write a full blown story, as that would have taken more than 600 words.

Were you guys looking for a story, or a descriptive passage?

Draco97
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Mine had some dialogue between a major character and an OC of mine, but I had to cut out nearly half of it because it went over the character limit and I wanted to include a quick, brutal battle scene.

Oakwarrior
07-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah I had some dialogue there as well. The meat of the text was still description upon description though.

Rated
07-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I hope they decide to show a few runners-up. You know, to really let some people agonize over how close they came. No, seriously, the winners are going to be fun to read, and I'm sure some other top tier entries will be too.

honage
07-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I had about ten or twenty words of dialog. Otherwise how would you know who the main character was?

ptoss1
08-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Are you guys done reading the entries?

LordofAscension
08-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Yes - we're just waiting on wrapping up the voting on the final contest.

~LoA

CursedCoffee
08-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes - we're just waiting on wrapping up the voting on the final contest.

~LoA

Woot! :D

ptoss1
08-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm waiting to read some good fics.

Wouldn't it be weird if an actual author like Christie Golden entered the contest? It would be an unfair advantage, don't you think?

Christie Golden wrote the dark templar trilogy.

Oakwarrior
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I believe that she has already received her beta key so she wouldn't have any real goal to fulfill when entering the contest :D

ptoss1
08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Or any author. The shittiest author could write better than most average people.

Gradius
08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Winners have been announced: http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1094