PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else playing through the canon?

Dalarsco
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM
With rumors of a June release based on a May 17 Beta end, I've started playing through all canon SC stuff, starting with the Precursor campaign, and will include the Enslavers campaigns in their proper places and the Stukov Trilogy. I'm then going to read the Dark Templar Trilogy and possibly I, Mengsk, since those books are fairly direct lead-ins to SC2. Is anyone else doing or planning to do this?

mr. peasant
04-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Doubt a June release is possible. They have to make the changes based on beta information, manufacture the discs and then distribute them across the world and onto store shelves. I'd say at least three months after the end of beta.

TheEconomist
04-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I've been doing this off and on for the last three years. Played the campaign at least ten times and read the books at least once.

Kimera757
04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos came out one week after the last beta patch.

Having said that, the May 17th date is guesswork. Blizzard won't end the beta until the game is reasonably balanced, and Blizzard doesn't know how many patches that will take since they can't see the future.

Centipede
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Three months? A bit of an excessive estimate. I'd suggest one to three weeks following the game going gold.

horror
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Since when was it going to end on May 17th? Just because some advertisement told you so...

Hamshank
04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
The beta is going to run up to the release of the game, don't be ridiculous. Do you seriously think they're going to end the beta and then ship the game 3 months after the end of the beta? It's coming in June and the beta is going strong until the day before release.

Univirsul
04-24-2010, 10:21 PM
I know that this is in no way a confirmation of anything set in stone but the Gamestop I went to told me that the release for SCII would be June 11 or at least thats what they have in their system.

TheEconomist
04-24-2010, 10:34 PM
It's most definitely NOT June 11 then. Thank you for clearing that up Gamestop.

n00bonicPlague
04-25-2010, 12:15 AM
I see the beta going through the summer right up to the start of school (around August). They've got a lot of stuff to test, like large maps with large numbers of players and the map editor itself — especially the UI and triggers.

But yeah, after the beta is done, the basic release will quickly follow, as they are going to patch things in over time instead of unleashing it all at once. If you've watched that April 19th Q&A with the SCII staff, you'll know that there are things that aren't gonna come out until several months after the initial release.

Alex06
04-25-2010, 01:24 AM
LOL, the game WILL release in June, that's near certain.
No matter how we think it's too fast or that there's no way it will happen or believe the game is not ready for release or that Blizzard never does such short betas and quick releases, SC2 is an exception in many cases.

With, for example, Wrath of the Lich King, the release date was announced one month before said release. The beta ran up till about the announcement of the release date, which is when the game went gold.

It's highly plausible considering how much testing they have done with pro players and in-house that they will release WoL in June. I admit, it's early, but then, we aren't Blizzard, and Blizzard knows what they are doing; They aren't rushing SC2 out.

The beta ends on May 17th, if Gamestop says that, it's true. I know you guys wanna test 4v4 or 3v3 maps, but, when has that happened in most RTS betas? Games like RA3 never had 3v3 or 4v4 maps during beta test, yet RA3 released with 3v3 (and 4v4 is possible by modding the game). You want to test new tilesets, want to see the Lurker in, test new UI and Battle.NET features, modding, campaign units in mod maps, publish maps, and all that, but let's be fair, it's probably not gonna happen. The game will release without all the BNET features it will have. They will release patches post-release and expansions with those new BNET features. (They said so themselves) They're polishing the game up and don't even want to add new units or features right now. They even said that the Map Editor will be available near the end of the beta test (there's less than one month left from now) and that the beta will last 3 months. So let's be fair and admit that a June release date is highly probable. (They've released games in the summer before, take a look at WC3 and its expansion)

As for the original WoW game (not the expansions) used as an example, WoW was a much larger game, it was new to the market back then and Blizzard needed to make the game work online with many users as it is an MMO, so that game was bound to have a longer beta.

Kimera757
04-25-2010, 07:29 AM
The beta ends on May 17th, if Gamestop says that, it's true.

Gamestop and other stores have been wrong before. How many stores reported that Wings of Liberty would be out in December 2009?

Gamestop doesn't have a crystal ball, or if they do, it's not better than Blizzard's.

TheEconomist
04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Gamestop changed their release date every few months. I remember them giving the releases dates of March 2009, May 2009, July 2009, September 2009, and then December 2009.

BusinessMonkey
04-25-2010, 07:47 AM
I think ALex06 got it pretty much covered up, but if I may add something is, making you people notice the "pace" of the beta. I wasn't in from the beginning, but looking at the patches, I'd say the pace is going more and more up, and we'e now gotten alot of content, so if they wanna make us test 3v3 and 4v4, then it's gonna come very soon if it follows this ever growing pace, and the game will still be out end June.

As they said in the Q/A they're having alot of work to do with B.net, but aside from that it seems WoL is pretty much ready, and if we're not looking at B.net taking Blizz' time, we all know it took years of patching to make SW:BW what it is today, so a soon-to-come release date (most places say end June) is very likely.

Dragoonx
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Definitely playing through the original SC. I wonder what the proper order is with all the extra missions though =/

BusinessMonkey
04-25-2010, 04:50 PM
You can see that in the lore section of SC:Legacy. There's a chapter by chapter show if I remember correctly. Been years since I read through it.

But from what I remember it's the Demo, SC, Enslavers, BW, Enslavers II and the Stukov thing.

Or is this wrong?

sandwich_bird
04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Once the release date is announced for Starcraft 2, I'll make a big marathon into the canon.

GRUNT
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Once the release date is announced for Starcraft 2, I'll make a big marathon into the canon.

I played through the campaign fairly recently, but I'm going to do so again just prior to SC2! ^______________^

almostfamous
04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
But from what I remember it's the Demo, SC, Enslavers, BW, Enslavers II and the Stukov thing.

Link to the demo? I probably already have it, or have played it, or its in the game and I've played it to death and not realized that it was the demo, but I'd like to make sure...

I'm such a nerdsicle for the campaign. I'm in the Beta and I barely play it because I'm so hyped for the single player, that all I can think of is all the ballin' stuff you'll be able to do, and how the scenery and the triggers, and the maps will be so breathtakingly astounding. Also, I'm absurdly excited for the new rendition of the campaign to come from Lucifer and his cohort(s) because it'll be the cats meow.

Dougtemplar
04-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm playing through Brood War now and reading Starcraft: Nova. It makes me a little sad that we will never see Ghost. Is there an extra campaign that you can download or something? I've never heard of that.

Dalarsco
04-26-2010, 12:21 AM
You can see that in the lore section of SC:Legacy. There's a chapter by chapter show if I remember correctly. Been years since I read through it.

Or is this wrong?

Enslavers and Enslavers II are actually after the first campaign in SC and BW, respectively. To be more specific, the Stukov thing is actually a trio of maps, Deception, Mercenaries II, and Resurrection IV. Resurrection IV, Deception, and the Precursor Campaign are all available at http://sclegacy.com/feature/8-scencyclopedia/282-bonus-maps . Enslavers II is available http://classic.battle.net/scc/OS/enslavers.shtml . A single map pack with Mercenaries II, Deception, and a ton of other maps is available at http://classic.battle.net/scc/maps.shtml . There is no way to download just a single map anymore, but the entire set is only 21 MB.

Dragoonx
04-26-2010, 03:01 AM
So just to have this straight;

Precursor - Demo
StarCraft
-Enslavers
StarCraft: Brood War
-Enslavers: Dark Vengeance
-Deception
-Mercenaries II
-Resurrection IV
StarCraft II

nick7913
04-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Link to the demo? I probably already have it, or have played it, or its in the game and I've played it to death and not realized that it was the demo, but I'd like to make sure...

I'm such a nerdsicle for the campaign. I'm in the Beta and I barely play it because I'm so hyped for the single player, that all I can think of is all the ballin' stuff you'll be able to do, and how the scenery and the triggers, and the maps will be so breathtakingly astounding. Also, I'm absurdly excited for the new rendition of the campaign to come from Lucifer and his cohort(s) because it'll be the cats meow.

If you don't want to play the beta, I can take it off your hands! :D

almostfamous
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
If you don't want to play the beta, I can take it off your hands! :D

haha, I'm not quite that bored with it. I play, but not very much. I would probably play more if I didn't have to use my girlfriends computer, hers is newer and can handle the graphics. Mine is old and full of fail...

Gradius
04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
If you're really hardcore you'll want to play through Retribution and Insurrection (though I don't recommend it).

LordofAscension
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
If you're really hardcore you'll want to play through Retribution and Insurrection (though I don't recommend it).

I have both. Retribution made me want to cry the first time I played it. Now I have sealed copies for my collection :D

~LoA

Pandonetho
04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
I have both. Retribution made me want to cry the first time I played it. Now I have sealed copies for my collection

Heh, if it's canon it needs to be part of a collection no matter how bad it is eh? The collection MUST BE COMPLETE!

LordofAscension
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Heh, if it's canon it needs to be part of a collection no matter how bad it is eh? The collection MUST BE COMPLETE!

You have no idea... :p

~LoA

//MavericK\\
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I played through nearly all of SC, BW and Precursor once last year. And this year, I've read through my small library of SC books, culminating in Heaven's Devils, one awesome book. It was all a nice trip down memory lane. Unfortunately, when you know how everything ends, it just isn't quite the same as that first play/read-through.

And, concerning the release date, I'm thinking they might hold the game for a very early July release...around July fourth weekend, or right after. Tuesday, July 6th-ish, maybe.