PDA

View Full Version : SC:L Trivia Contest

Gradius
06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
http://sclegacy.com/forums/../images/uploaded/starcraftiinews/betakeycontest/trivia.png

SC:L will be launching a series of contests in the coming days to celebrate our grand relaunch. First off, we would like to congratulate Junzou (http://sclegacy.com/forums/member.php?u=101), the winner of our registration contest. He will receive a copy of the extremely limited edition (20) High Templar control art used to design the banner for SC:L 7.0, signed by his favorite SC:L staff member.

And now, we welcome you to StarCraft: Legacy's Trivia Contest! In order to participate, answer the following questions by sending an email to contests[at]sclegacy.com with your SC:L username and "Trivia Contest Submission" as the subject and specify whether or not you are able to attend BlizzCon 2009:

1) In what direction does the Mutalisk’s Glaive wurm tend to travel when attacking many targets?
2) Explosive and Concussive are two out of the three common damage types in StarCraft. The third type of damage is called _______ damage.
3) Who was the only American to beat Boxer at the World Cyber Games?
4) What was the most popular official Map of the Week on the Battle.net StarCraft Compendium?
5) What were the Terran Marines initially named in the StarCraft Beta?
6) In StarCraft map making, what is the number of the player that is considered the “neutral player,” such that the player’s units stay on the map in a non-UMS StarCraft game?
7) What do Terran Medics call the lethal drug that is administered to dying Marines?
8) What was the name of the Confederate's clandestine group of secret police?
9) What two alternate names were used for the Zerg during StarCraft's early designs? "Space Orcs" is not one of them.
10) In which Warcraft III campaign mission is there a Hydralisk hiding behind some trees (mission name and which campaign)?
11) What is Sammuro?
12) Who/what controls units created from the Protoss Robotics Facility?
13) Which world did Kerrigan begin a rebellion on in the early Terran missions?
14) What were the guards of the Conclave called?
15) Chris Metzen once referred to Tassadar as a ______ -like character? The following prizes are up for grabs:

1st Place - One BlizzCon 2009 Ticket, One StarCraft II Beta Key
2nd Place - One BlizzCon 2009 Ticket, One StarCraft II Beta Key
3rd Place - One BlizzCon 2009 Ticket, One StarCraft II Beta Key
4th Place - One StarCraft II Beta Key The people with the most correct answers will win; if there is a tie then the winner will be picked at random. The deadline for the contest is June 15th. Good luck everyone!

http://sclegacy.com/forums/../features/break.png

This is a StarCraft: Legacy (http://sclegacy.com/ (http://sclegacy.com/forums/../)) Contest.

http://sclegacy.com/forums/../features/sclball.png (http://sclegacy.com/forums/../)

Perfecttear
06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm just wondering, why do only the questions till 7 have a "Q:" , question 8 a "Q." and the others nothing :P

Wankey
06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Wow some of these questions are rediculously hard. Are we allowed to collaborate?

spychi
06-05-2009, 06:59 PM
What if I would won a BC ticket? The only option for me would be to sell it on e-bay ... meh it's only for people from North America... oh visa cards, damn you US gov

Gradius
06-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm just wondering, why do only the questions till 7 have a "Q:" , question 8 a "Q." and the others nothing :P
Bad editing. Fixd.

Are we allowed to collaborate?
Not on the forums.

What if I would won a BC ticket? The only option for me would be to sell it on e-bay ... meh it's only for people from North America... oh visa cards, damn you US gov
You can't sell it on e-bay, since it's personalized and will only work for you. That's why we require for you to specify whether you can attend BlizzCon '09 in the email.

sandwich_bird
06-05-2009, 07:27 PM
google search time

Junzou
06-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks again for the print you guys, I'll be sure to post pics when I get it :)

GGTeMpLaR
06-05-2009, 09:09 PM
"what was the most popular map of the week"

for this question, is it referring to ICCUP maps of the weeks? because there's probably a few websites that record "maps of the week"

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
where do i submit m ansers to ?

Gradius
06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
where do i submit m ansers to ?
contests[at]sclegacy.com

"what was the most popular map of the week"

for this question, is it referring to ICCUP maps of the weeks? because there's probably a few websites that record "maps of the week"
The Blizzard official Map of the Week on battle.net SCC. Clarified in news post.

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
ok i sent in my wrong answers

I HOPE i eather win just the gift bag from this or your april fools contest.

or jsut get accepted from the Op-in

Gradius
06-05-2009, 09:49 PM
SD - you didn't do that bad. :)

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM
LIES i did Terra hora bad

well time to do the rest of my packing "been home 3 weeks" to go back to the isle of man to help my grandfather " ill and crazy but has lots of money " and run this cafe and dream of being in the beta

pekkz
06-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Will only people who can go to blizzcon win 1,2,3 place? The beta keys should be anyones to take imo:P

Redcloak
06-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Hard? Poppycock. If you can't ace this, you are unworthy!

Runtime
06-06-2009, 03:33 AM
It was hard. -_-

Came out of lurking just for this. Totally worth it.

spychi
06-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Bad editing. Fixd.

Not on the forums.

You can't sell it on e-bay, since it's personalized and will only work for you. That's why we require for you to specify whether you can attend BlizzCon '09 in the email.
So it's not worth it one bit, cause it's too expensive just to go to USA for few days.

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-06-2009, 06:35 AM
hey a lot of these are hard. i dont know them all.
i prob was the first person to submit there's
not all questions are about starcraft.

LordofAscension
06-06-2009, 09:47 AM
hey a lot of these are hard. i dont know them all.
i prob was the first person to submit there's
not all questions are about starcraft.

just #10?

and it still relates to SC.

~LoA

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-06-2009, 10:00 AM
lol ops ok =)

LOA when are you going to announce the April fools contents winners.
and cool wallpapers lol <3

LordofAscension
06-06-2009, 10:09 AM
oooo yeah lol. I forgot about those - I'll try to get on the wall-papers soon.

We'll announce the winners of the april fools stuff sometime in the near future.

~LoA

The_Blade
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Admins for all this chances to BC and BETA

Damn i got confused on the starting contest but im beating this one down.

ONLY got one unanswered question and 2 unsure ones.

Buahahahhahaahahahhahahhahah.

WARLING ;STARCRAFT ADICT AT WORK; WARLING

PS: For everyone trying google, its useless hahaha

LordofAscension
06-06-2009, 10:39 AM

That was more or less the idea - glad you are enjoying :D

~LoA

DemolitionSquid
06-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Could I get clarification/more details on question 8? There's a couple options I'm split between because the confederates had multiple secret ops.

Edit: Nvm, I found a second source to ease my doubts.

Then you obviously don't understand how to use Google properly. I've found 14 of the 15 answers using it, and I expect to get the 15th very soon.

Edit2: Submitted. There's max 3 I may have gotten wrong.

Edit3: Ahaha, I just realized I forgot to put if I could go to Blizzcon or not. Guess I'm disqualified. That's harsh.

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-06-2009, 02:22 PM
i can see there being a lot of winners. =/
i just spent a few min'its on it cause i wont have internet. for like a week or 2. i could of really searched for the answers and spend a few days i don't have on it. but i took my chances. It looks like it could be Google FTL ay at lease for my loss.

I found quite a bit on archived Starcraft:L articles. but since people don't have a back up to sc:L GOOGLE!

DemolitionSquid
06-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I promise you, all of the answers are on Google.

Gradius
06-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I found quite a bit on archived Starcraft:L articles. but since people don't have a back up to sc:L GOOGLE!
All of our articles should be up on our site. What do you have archived that we don't?

SIL3NT-DE4TH
06-06-2009, 02:48 PM
i promise you giveing the competition the upper hand will hurt you more then u think.

To tell you the Truth! i dident even realize it was on the site already. would saved me like 15 min on searching for my archive of your site.
just prior contest questions. you had one with lots of starcraft beta questions a few years back.
if u would like ill see if i do have anything thats not on the site. im shure it all is it looks like alot of the same just skimming threw them now

the only reason i have an archive and its old any way is at the time i was writing an article for my Creative theory and writeing class. and the site kept going in an out.

pekkz
06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Should we include our sclegacy username in the mail?

Gradius
06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Should we include our sclegacy username in the mail?
EDIT: Yes. It's required for announcing the winners.

pekkz
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM
ok, i sent it allready without it since it didnt say anything about it. Can send a email from same email with username if its necessary.

The_Blade
06-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Then you obviously don't understand how to use Google properly. I've found 14 of the 15 answers using it, and I expect to get the 15th very soon.

Actually you can't GOOGLE them in all its senses, you need to know part of the answer to find the full answer.

People loyal to SC will know this information and will easily use sources to find them. But if someone rather new, to it, tries it he will probably get 3 answers and then frustrate to death.

LordofAscension
06-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Edit2: Submitted. There's max 3 I may have gotten wrong.

Edit3: Ahaha, I just realized I forgot to put if I could go to Blizzcon or not. Guess I'm disqualified. That's harsh.

Just PM Gradius or myself with whether or not you could go and we'll put it in for you. A perk of being a forum member ;)

i can see there being a lot of winners. =/
i just spent a few min'its on it cause i wont have internet. for like a week or 2. i could of really searched for the answers and spend a few days i don't have on it. but i took my chances. It looks like it could be Google FTL ay at lease for my loss.

The winners will be randomly selected from those receiving the highest scores.

As Gradius said, all of our previous articles should now be up.

ok, i sent it allready without it since it didnt say anything about it. Can send a email from same email with username if its necessary.

That would be great - or PM Gradius and we'll add it in for you.

Thanks!

~LoA

ArcaneDeathe
06-06-2009, 10:05 PM
can someone help me send my answers to contests[at]sclegacy.com using gmail it doesnt seem to work for me

Edit* nvm thx gradius

Apex
06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Question: I have already bought a Blizzcon ticket and but am extremely interested in getting a beta key. If I happen to win would I still get the beta key and then the Blizzcon ticket be handed to someone else?

LordofAscension
06-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Yes.

~LoA

Apex
06-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes.

~LoA

Cool, good to hear. Thx LoA!

Praetor_Ixab
06-06-2009, 11:48 PM
how are you going to announce the winners? will you announce it over the site, or PM/email the winners privately first?

also, since the first three prizes are all blizzcon ticket-inclusive, that basically means that those who can go have a better shot at a beta key, cuz there's only 1 beta key-only prize. not fair! i want a beta key too, but I can't go to blizzcon this year. what's the deal?

LoTuS
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Heh, e-mailing the answers was like submitting a test...

Prolly the most confidence i had and closest i may be to the key, since theres no creativity involved no? :)

pekkz
06-07-2009, 12:29 AM
how are you going to announce the winners? will you announce it over the site, or PM/email the winners privately first?

also, since the first three prizes are all blizzcon ticket-inclusive, that basically means that those who can go have a better shot at a beta key, cuz there's only 1 beta key-only prize. not fair! i want a beta key too, but I can't go to blizzcon this year. what's the deal?

Question: I have already bought a Blizzcon ticket and but am extremely interested in getting a beta key. If I happen to win would I still get the beta key and then the Blizzcon ticket be handed to someone else?

Yes.

Hope that answers it:p

LordofAscension
06-07-2009, 10:57 AM

I think we'll probably contact the winners at least a few hours before we post to site then we'll post.

All the people in the pool of highest answers will be entered. If a person is randomly selected for one of the top 3 spots and is unable to go - they will receive the beta key and the BC ticket will be randomly given to one of the others in the top pool that "can go".

Does that clear up any confusion?

~LoA

sandwich_bird
06-07-2009, 12:06 PM
1,3,15 were the most difficult imo but the rest was ok. Lets see what happens now.

LoTuS
06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
1 question, how long will it take to get the winner results after June 15th?

LordofAscension
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The next day at the latest.

~LoA

Praetor_Ixab
06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
thanks LoA, that helps a lot! :D

Tom Phoenix
06-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I would like to take this chance to thank the Legacy administration for preparing this contest. Out of all the contests, this one is easily the most accessible one. All others require a certain specific talent or another, which the majority of people do not have.

DemolitionSquid
06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I would like to take this chance to thank the Legacy administration for preparing this contest. Out of all the contests, this one is easily the most accessible one. All others require a certain specific talent or another, which the majority of people do not have.

Id say skillfully navigating Google to find most of the answers is a specific talent.

:p

Tom Phoenix
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Id say skillfully navigating Google to find most of the answers is a specific talent.

:p

Hahahahaha, good one. :D However, I think web searching is second nature for anyone who uses the internet even on a semi-regular basis.

Anyway, it is true that nearly all of the answers can be found using Google. However, at least some of the questions (partially) require a good memory as well.

n00bonicPlague
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
OMG this is awesome. You should be receiving my e-mail within a few minutes.

EDIT: It is done. Every last one should be fully correct.

Tesh
06-10-2009, 06:08 AM
All of our articles should be up on our site. What do you have archived that we don't?

I don't know if it counts as an article but http://sclegacy.com/content/interviews-6/scl-metzen-interview---lore-exclusive-28/ was unavailable when I tried to access it.

LordofAscension
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Which article is it? The reason it was unacceptable is that our content structure no longer produces URL's like that - you'd need to go back into our interview section and see if it is there under a different URL.

~LoA

Tom Phoenix
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I believe this (http://sclegacy.com/interviews/10-blizzard/281-scl-metzen-interview-lore-exclusive) is the article in question.

Born in a Box
06-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a question of clarification regarding #15. In describing Tassadar, does Chris Metzen actually use the world "like." Does he specifially say, Tassadar is a ______-like character?

LordofAscension
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
No. It is implied from what he actually says.

To be honest - when I wrote the question I totally blanked on the words he actually used... even though I was there when he said it -_-

~LoA

Tesh
06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
If the Metzen quote for Q15 doesn't actually contain the words "-like character", is there some other way we can confirm that we're referencing the particular quote you're looking for?

DemolitionSquid
06-10-2009, 07:08 PM
If the Metzen quote for Q15 doesn't actually contain the words "-like character", is there some other way we can confirm that we're referencing the particular quote you're looking for?

When you find the quote, you'll know its the right one. Metzen refers to Tassasdar as ________ a couple times, actually.

Tom Phoenix
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Is there a problem if we replied with the "-like" words in mind? :(

LordofAscension
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
No - we're accepting several variations of that answer.

~LoA

Strykjarnet
06-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Phew, some of those questions were really hard but I'm quite sure I got all of them. Now I can only hope.

CDRrules
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I just sent in my answers. I'm worried about the number of you that think you got all of them. I think I got all of them myself, but I'm still really nervous.

SpiderBrigade
06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I strongly suspect that given the nature of these forums, there will be enough 100% correct responses that they will have to find a way to randomize.

LordofAscension
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I strongly suspect that given the nature of these forums, there will be enough 100% correct responses that they will have to find a way to randomize.

We already know we have to.

~LoA

fatbat
06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
shoot, how many ppl got 100% correct so far? :(

Hope I was one of them >.<

The test was interesting and definitely not easy.

Gradius
06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Like a fifth of the people who submitted got a hundred.

Oakwarrior
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Just a quick question, I put my username in the subject line, like so: Oakwarrior; Trivia Contest Submission

Is this correct?
Also, do we get a confirmation e-mail when/if our submission has been received or something?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Oh, and how many submissions so far? 1000?

LordofAscension
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Just a quick question, I put my username in the subject line, like so: Oakwarrior; Trivia Contest Submission

Is this correct?
Also, do we get a confirmation e-mail when/if our submission has been received or something?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Oh, and how many submissions so far? 1000?

1) that's fine.
2) No - you'll get a confirmation email if you win.
3) We're not telling till the end.

~LoA

n00bonicPlague
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
*drops to knees in fervent prayer*

DreaD
06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Is everyone eligible to a beta key or only users with a certain number of posts or an account made before a certain date?

I'll be sending in my answers soon.

Gradius
06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Is everyone eligible to a beta key or only users with a certain number of posts or an account made before a certain date?

I'll be sending in my answers soon.
Open to everyone.

DemolitionSquid
06-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Open to everyone.

Just like that Macro Mechanic Contest on BF was.

And look how awesome that turned out :rolleyes:

LordofAscension
06-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Just like that Macro Mechanic Contest on BF was.

And look how awesome that turned out :rolleyes:

This is a bit different don't you think?

~LoA

DemolitionSquid
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
This is a bit different don't you think?

~LoA

Yes.

But only because I said so.

Runei
06-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Well I got pimp smacked out of my Joke Contest over at starcraft2forums.org so I hope I can win something here! Submitted and eagerly awaiting decisions on winners! I feel pretty confident about my submission. WEEE STARCRAFT!!!

n00bonicPlague
06-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Well I got pimp smacked out of my Joke Contest over at starcraft2forums.org so I hope I can win something here! Submitted and eagerly awaiting decisions on winners! I feel pretty confident about my submission. WEEE STARCRAFT!!!Did anyone ever tell you why you got DQ'd?

Not that I know -- I'm just curious. I thought it was hilarious.

Tom Phoenix
06-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, the deadline is nearly upon us. Best of luck to all the participants.

n00bonicPlague
06-14-2009, 08:39 PM
ON THE BRIM OF EXISTENCE WE STAND!!!

Oh wait -- is the 15th the last day to turn in, or is it today?

Gradius
06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Today. :)

n00bonicPlague
06-14-2009, 09:02 PM
OMG WE ONLY HAVE TWO HOURS!!!

Oh wait -- which time zone we talkin' here?

Gradius
06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Eastern. :)

Of course we're not going to announce the winners tonight, so there's some wiggle room.

Blazur
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
It's too bad all the other contests extend into late July. Tomorrow would be hella exciting if it were the culmination of all ongoing beta key contests and all winners were announced.

KiLLjoY
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
You mean we gotta wait until ALL the contests are closed?

:(

Blazur
06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
You mean we gotta wait until ALL the contests are closed?

:(

Nah, they said the trivia contest winner should be revealed a day after the contest ends (today). The others extend into late July, and that'll likely be the timeframe they announce the April 1st random winners too.

GGTeMpLaR
06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
OMMGGG one more day

KiLLjoY
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
ah, ok great!! :D

but then, if Gradius said yesterday was the last day to turn in the answers, wouldn't the announciations be today? :D :D

i'm too excited to wait any longer. :D

Whanhee
06-15-2009, 03:11 PM
that would make a lot of sense. all the tension is killing me.