PDA

View Full Version : Gender Discrimination?

SoFool
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Found it in starcraftwire.net, here's the source.

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/sc-is-fun-so-dont-take-it-too-serious/

The whole article is bullcrap, word.

Gradius
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
The buildings say a lot about what gender they are meant to parody. The Terran buildings are sharp and angular. They are built in a series of poles and walls, and constructed from the ground up, sharp, boxy, and rigidly unwavering.

Once the drone sacrifices itself, it becomes a large, undulating womb-sac that pulses and grows until the building inside has finished incubating. It then bursts forth out of the womb as a once again undulating 'building'. But the Zerg buildings are neither angular, nor phallic, but explicitly gynic. All of the Zerg buildings ooze some sort of fluid from one of their many openings. Nearly all of their buildings have one to multiple openings, ranging from gaping circles, to small oozing slits, to rounded triangles that pulsate open and then closed slowly. Also, one of the Zerg's greatest strengths is a building known as a Nydus Canal. A Nydus Canal is a large, vaginal opening, that if a Zerg unit enters, it may emerge at the other end, in a manner that "greatly puzzles most Terran scientists." (This quote is too much to not mock: What? Men cannot understand the vagina: the
http://www.opaquelucidity.com/facepalm.jpg

Norfindel
06-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, i think that relating the Terrans and Protoss to "male" and the Zerg to "female" is looking to deep into something to see what you want to see. That said, lots of players are happy by playing Zerg, so what's does that mean?
Agreed, all women in the game are semi-naked and hot as hell, but as there are mostly men behind the game development, you know, men tend to like seeing semi?-naked women that are as hot as hell.
Now, tell me that woman don't feel the same. That they don't like better to see some semi-naked handsome actor from hollywood than their ugly neightbour.
This fact has nothing to do with people thinking their only function is sex. Sorry if it looks like that.
The effect of hot woman into our male minds is as heavy as unavoidable (well, for most males, anyways :p). Blame mother nature about it.
There's some game built by mostly women? How are they like?

Once the drone sacrifices itself, it becomes a large, undulating womb-sac that pulses and grows until the building inside has finished incubating. It then bursts forth out of the womb as a once again undulating 'building'. But the Zerg buildings are neither angular, nor phallic, but explicitly gynic.
Yeah! Specially the Greater Spire :rolleyes:.
No Shit! The buildings have openings!? Them must be giant vagina!! Oh, but look the Factories have openings too! Wait... can it be that they have openings so that the units can get out of there? ... mmmm.... :rolleyes:

KDraconis
06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't get it. If the Zerg represent females (as the writer of the article argues), then it would be a positive thing since Zerg are basically the rulers of the universe right now. Not to mention their leader, a woman, is the most powerful being yet known.

And who says the Zerg nurture their young? Defilers consume Zerglings last time I checked. Infested Terrans and Scourge are made to suicide, so I'd say Zerg definitely don't nurture anything whatsoever.

As for Terrans and Protoss being associated with males... Is the writer of the article implying that women cannot build sharp and angular buildings, or have a productive economy? Sure, both races have male leaders, but most countries in the world have male leaders. It's staying a bit close to reality, not making males all-powerful and dominant.

In other words... The article just seems to be something to read when you're bored. Can't really be taken seriously.

Sheliek
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
This is the best comedy article I've read in a long time, thanks!

emikochan
06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
How embarassing... I tink someone needs to watch some real SC vods... :)

ChaosSmurf
06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Bad articles on IncGamers? PERSONALLY I NEVER SAW IT COMING.

Also, Kerrigan naturally evolves chitin heels and they think that undulating womb sacs are the biggest problem?

sandwich_bird
06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Here we mother fucking go again. Kill her please.

Anyone can come up with mother fucking crap like this made of assumptions and unrelated things.

Ghost_828
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Gradius said it best when he said

http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm.jpg

Praetor_Ixab
06-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I find it hilarious, in that someone was so fed up with whatever it was in her life that she took it out on a video game that's 11 YEARS OLD! Hell if you try hard enough and long enough (that's what she said, and yes I know it's neither the time or the place) you can find sexual discrimination in anything.

And let's be honest - there are 3 races in this game, so you can't just assign male and female to races because it fits your particular theory. This makes me think she just decided either Terran or Protoss would be "male" for no other reason than she chose them to represent it.

Let's not forgot the fact that SC is unique for an RTS for the pure and simple fact that it features 3 distinct races that are PERFECTLY BALANCED. Male, female, or asexual, all are in harmony in the end. Shouldn't that be the ultimate message?

Norfindel
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I find it hilarious, in that someone was so fed up with whatever it was in her life that she took it out on a video game that's 11 YEARS OLD! Hell if you try hard enough and long enough (that's what she said, and yes I know it's neither the time or the place) you can find sexual discrimination in anything.

And let's be honest - there are 3 races in this game, so you can't just assign male and female to races because it fits your particular theory. This makes me think she just decided either Terran or Protoss would be "male" for no other reason than she chose them to represent it.

Let's not forgot the fact that SC is unique for an RTS for the pure and simple fact that it features 3 distinct races that are PERFECTLY BALANCED. Male, female, or asexual, all are in harmony in the end. Shouldn't that be the ultimate message?
I think that they just needed to fill some lines on the site, so got whatever was known to them and maked some (forced) opinions on it.
While i agree that there are some sexist lines out there in the game, i'm shocked at the blatant failure of the Nydus Canal -> Vagina comparison.
Anyone getting such conclusions from the looks of Zerg buildings, has serious issues.

Hell, she could have talked about Nova from SC Ghost, or the high heels of Kerrigan. Anyways, it's not like women don't do that with their designs. Anyone had seen Code Geass from Clamp?

Oh! The article isn't from incgamers, they just find it and commented, the site is Vanguardparty. Here's the link: http://www.vanguardparty.com/articles/starcraft.html

Pandonetho
06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
This is the best comedy article I've read in a long time, thanks!

I agree with this, and also what Gradius said.

Also, COME ON, most people complain about actual females when it comes to games, whoever wrote this article is complaining about BUILDINGS BEING SEXUALLY DISCRIMINATORY?

WTF?

Medics have hot faces, so do Valkyries, but that's because they have hot faces.
The only slutty character in the game (not even in SC directly itself) is Nova with her air-tight vacuum suctioned ass.

There's so much crap in that article that I'm not going to bother pointing it out but will instead use popular internet methods of disregarding an entire article.

alongside it's addictively entertaining gameplay,

alongside it's

it's

One word.

Failure.

sandwich_bird
06-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Medics have hot faces, so do Valkyries But how is that sexist anyways? Might as well say " Well Edward Cullen is hot in Twilight and so women think that men are tools blah blah blah".

deadlock
06-05-2009, 05:07 PM
sorry dudes, it's actually true. zerg are inspired by Alien and Alien abounds with violent sexual imagery (particularly that of the vagina dentata, the castrating female). most of it carries through pretty well into starcraft except that they left out all the raping alien phalluses. sadly things only became worse when kerrigan replaced the patriarchal overmind and became the scheming femme fatale who, through her wiles, disempowers the series' male characters; the fear of castration is obvious in the sobriquet "queen of blades."

not saying that the game is actually sexist but it's pretty obvious what fears blizzard were tapping into here. most gamers are guys remember.

deadlock
06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
But how is that sexist anyways? Might as well say " Well Edward Cullen is hot in Twilight and so women think that men are tools blah blah blah".

you don't think having almost every women in the series as a hawt slutty-voiced babe is a little bit sexist?

edit: just finished actually reading the article and it made sense to me. don't see what all the fuss is about tbh.

Norfindel
06-05-2009, 05:33 PM
sorry dudes, it's actually true. zerg are inspired by Alien and Alien abounds with violent sexual imagery (particularly that of the vagina dentata, the castrating female). most of it carries through pretty well into starcraft except that they left out all the raping alien phalluses. sadly things only became worse when kerrigan replaced the patriarchal overmind and became the scheming femme fatale who, through her wiles, disempowers the series' male characters; the fear of castration is obvious in the sobriquet "queen of blades."

not saying that the game is actually sexist but it's pretty obvious what fears blizzard were tapping into here. most gamers are guys remember.
If that's true, it's a lot of effort put to waste, because only you and Kelly Alerenson realized it :p.

sandwich_bird
06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
you don't think having almost every women in the series as a hawt slutty-voiced babe is a little bit sexist?

TBH no. That is not discrimination. This is giving what the target public wants (target audience = men since most gamers are men). Guys like sexy girls and usually have an higher libido so they'll prefer slutty girls... So what? If you put in ugly fat bitches no one will be happy. The same thing happen when you look at entertainment products that target a women audience; guys will be appealing for girls (good looking, romantic, etc). Is that sexist? Absolutely not. Are those products saying that men are objects that must be good looking and deliver romance? No.

In the end, the game is not saying that women are sexual objects, the game is only delivering an appealing experience to that target audience.

Now, does the zerg represent women? What each individual see out of an experience is completely his own. You can't go around saying that " YES! Zergs are absolutely women who wants to castrate the planet and it's so true" since this is a subjective matter. It's like how each persons have their own view of what an abstract painting represent. Anyways, if they do represent women, how is this still discriminatory? Yeah ok the Zerg are the "enemy" in StarCraft. Though since experience is a subjective matter, the game would only be discriminatory if and only if the creator had an intended discriminatory view toward women while creating the race. Did they? I highly doubt it. They most likely were more thinking about ants hierarchy and other bugs related subject while creating the race.

Pandonetho
06-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I didn't mean that it was sexist, I was just saying something.

edit: just finished actually reading the article and it made sense to me. don't see what all the fuss is about tbh.

Heretic.

Butters
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Lol that article is full of fail.

The Nydus canal having vaginal openings and that's why the Terran don't know how they work because guys don't know about that part. LOL

Josue
06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Only someone so obsessed (or maybe traumatized) with sexual discrimination would write such a long article using such a thing as a simple video game like star craft to make a complete thesis out of almost nothing.
that person must read this! (http://www.biblija.net/biblija.cgi?Bible=Bible&m=Mt+12%2C34&id32=1&pos=0&set=3&l=en&idp0=33&idp1=34&idp2=15)

While i agree that there are some sexist lines out there in the game, i'm shocked at the blatant failure of the Nydus Canal -> Vagina comparison.
Anyone getting such conclusions from the looks of Zerg buildings, has serious issues.
That's what I mean.

emikochan
06-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Ahem; Duran, Stukov and Raynor are totally hot, discrimination ?

And the units only say those things if you keep clicking them, in normal gameplay you wouldn't hear anything like that, it's a weak argument...

deadlock
06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Ahem; Duran, Stukov and Raynor are totally hot, discrimination ?

not really, because the developers and the players are all guys. it's hard for guys to objectify other guys.

Zabimaru
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
not really, because the developers and the players are all guys. it's hard for guys to objectify other guys.

Well, that does depened on what way you swing- some men might like the buzz-cut Jimmy, etc.

But I find it hard to take this argument seriously as her argument is... frail...

Butters
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't find anyone with a(n) Unibrow, infestation, or Godly Powers at all attractive.

LoTuS
06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I laughed through the whole reading lol. Her Statements are decent, but i doubt the Blizzard team has the time to go that far with discrimination.

Warsaw
06-21-2009, 01:47 PM
All I have to say is, "Lol!"

SlickR
06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Depends who looks at starcraft. I find feminists to usually get too found of their own sex and see something where there is nothing.

For example why are girls wearing short skirts to their vagina if they don't want to be watched and hit on?
Kerrigan for example is even "outdated" with her looks in that regard.

Warsaw
06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Depends who looks at starcraft. I find feminists to usually get too found of their own sex and see something where there is nothing.

For example why are girls wearing short skirts to their vagina if they don't want to be watched and hit on?
Kerrigan for example is even "outdated" with her looks in that regard.

Umm thats one pay of putting it.

Also outdated? I think the first kerrigan was hoooot. With all the zerg on her face. Yummy. I hate her new look. She dosnt look zerg enough. She looks to human. I guess to get people to connect with her or something... w/e she looks ugly now

And about that bit about men objectifing men. What? There cant be any gay men on the blizzard team! I FIND THAT IGNORANT! :D

Norfindel
06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Yeah, being treated as a sexual object should be like the hell on Earth. Can you imagine being besieged by women that want to f*ck with you all the time? God saves us! :rolleyes: