PDA

View Full Version : Battle.net 2.0 Subscription-based possibility could be discussed at BlizzCon.

TheEconomist
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/e3-2009-battle.net-2.0-paid-service-a-possibility/

I agree with SCW.net. The way he phrased the comment makes it seem like he wants to wait for BlizzCon to talk about this. But, the real question is, does his hesitation to comment on it mean we will be charged monthly?

I don't want to get anyone up at arms since that's what tends to happen when talk of this is released but I do want to discuss it.

Blazur
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
There is absolutely no indication they intend to reveal specifics about b.net monetization at BlizzCon, and that claim is pure speculation on the behalf of SCWire. It's off the cuff statements like this which has destroyed their credibility and caused mass confusion among the community. The only thing we're seeing is Blizzard's continued secrecy about the subject matter.

About the topic at hand, I've said this many times before and stand by my statement. If they choose to monetize the core battle.net I will be boycotting the game, as much as it will pain me to do so. However, I highly doubt they will do this. Instead they'll likely charge a fee for minimal features such as multiple account names or other crap that isn't necessary to gameplay experience.

TheEconomist
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Of course it's pure speculation. They said that themselves. The only thing that hints at anything is his secrecy. Blizzard isn't usually secretive about things that are a sure thing. If it was a 100% sure thing that Battle.net 2.0 would be absolutely free (minus fees for extra features) then he would've said so.

Still, I agree with you. I sincerely doubt they'll make you pay monthly or anything outrageous like that. But, his comments were interesting in this regard and may hint at the fact that they're considering it. It's like a release date. They're not going to give you a firm date until they know they're ready. Likewise, they're not going to say Battle.net 2.0 won't be subscription based until they're absolutely sure it won't be.

But, Blizzard's past statements negate any worries I have. The only reason I made this was because it shows that Blizzard is being secretive about it which could be a hint that they were considering it. But, AGAIN, I don't think they will. I just think they're considering it and consideration means nothing if not implemented.

-- Also, I would like to add what I said in another forum:

I have no fear that there would be a monthly payment. Only MMOs have a monthly payment. Having an RTS like StarCraft 2 have a monthly payment would be unprecedented (as far as I know) and would destroy what was great about StarCraft and other Blizzard games before World of WarCraft. Blizzard isn't going to go through all that effort of making StarCraft 2 an eSport just to destroy their accomplishments that they've worked so hard on by making StarCraft 2 have monthly payments. I'd even be willing to bet that they'd make more money by keeping StarCraft 2 free through eSports, keeping their fans happy, and other such things.

The only thing I believe is a possibility is payment for extra features. This has been pretty much confirmed in past comments but maybe they're taking it a step further. But, by a step further, I mean payment for more features; not monthly payments.

Crazy_Jonny
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
My opinion, we should be able to do everything we did in SC1 for free in SC2. Extra features? Fine, I will still play online.

I found this article useless, and a prime example of SCW looking for drama.

Pick
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
My opinion, we should be able to do everything we did in SC1 for free in SC2. Anything extra, fine, I will still play online.

I agree. Everything we have in SC and WC3 will be free, but then they will offer a premium option with all the cool new features for a monthly fee.

Now all they have to do is make the new features so great that all the people who think monthly fees are just for MMO's will change their minds and sign up.

Norfindel
06-01-2009, 03:58 PM
If they monetize the core Battle.net, it will seriously hurt online gameplay, few people will use it, and everybody will get to play via Hamachi until someone makes a clone Battle.net 2 server, and Blizzard knows all this, so i doubt they're going to do that ever.

Moradon
06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
It's very unlikely that Blizzard will go the monthly fee route. No matter how many features Blizzard adds to it, Battle.net is still at its core a simple matchmaking service where the clients do most of the processing work. There's simply no way to justify a monthly fee out of that, and doing so would only make Blizzard look greedy in comparison to their competitors who don't charge monthly fees for their services.

We'll probably see things along the line of microtransactions for optional stuff like in WoW, which had simple things like name changes and server transfers. In addition, they had paid tournaments every arena season. I can imagine SC2 having a seasonal professional tournament that charges a fee, although hopefully it's not too much.

Blazur
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Contests with any entry fee and prize for winners would be interesting. Especially if it gets televised or streamed.

Noise
06-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I will not pay a monthly fee

But I don't think they would do it, as stated above it would be retarded since every other RTS has free online play

Zabimaru
06-02-2009, 02:09 AM
what I will say is that a player who goes to retail and buys the Starcraft 2 box at retail will have the full Starcraft 2 game included in the box and they will have the ability to play on battlenet with no additional fee.

Update from Mike Morhaime.

Hammy
06-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Contests with any entry fee and prize for winners would be interesting. Especially if it gets televised or streamed.

My thoughts exactly. They might be going for something that would push people to attach a credit card to their accounts so that they would purchase random stuff more willingly.
And I think that creating stuff like tournaments with prizes would do just that.

Novasquadron
06-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Hm...sure are some interesting things he said in that statement.
I dont think we will have to pay though.
Sadly though there is a first time for everything. :(

TheEconomist
06-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Mike Morhaime has spoken :D

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/mike_morhaime_confirms_battle.net_2.0_is_free/

Blazur
06-02-2009, 08:27 AM

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/mike_morhaime_confirms_battle.net_2.0_is_free/

Excellent news! Guess we can all rest easy and instead focus on worrying about the beta date.

FoxSpirit
06-02-2009, 09:10 AM
SCW is really... augh!! :rolleyes:

TheEconomist
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6H3crLzpg&videos=qW7_-93BjFI&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1

Zabimaru
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
....I already posted the above..., Mr Tychus. Not the hallelujah, but the news. :p

TheEconomist
06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Update from Mike Morhaime.

You didn't post a link or anything. Besides, does it really matter? Do you feel you get more credibility if you're first? I didn't see it so I didn't copy it. There should be nothing comment worthy about it then.

Zabimaru
06-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Ouch, it’s just a light hearted comment. Chill, I have no need for “cred yo”, I say everything with a lopsided grin. Anyway, I can’t help but feel there will be payment for something though...

TheEconomist
06-02-2009, 10:53 AM
My mistake then. I get a lot of ******* comments about stuff like this some time. It's hard to read the true intentions over the internet.

Blazur
06-02-2009, 11:03 AM
My mistake then. I get a lot of ******* comments about stuff like this some time. It's hard to read the true intentions over the internet.

Did you just insult my mother you jerk?

TheEconomist
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Whatchyu gon' do 'bout it, busta?

Blazur
06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Whatchyu gon' do 'bout it, busta?

I'm gonna whoop your butt in SC2 when it comes out in 2010.

TheEconomist
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
For SC2, I'll lose to you all day everyday for years.

Zabimaru
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Heh, we starting SC2 rivalries already? I say bring it on and I’ll- oh... we still have Bata to do... :D

Blazur
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Heh, we starting SC2 rivalries already? I say bring it on and Iíll- oh... we still have Bata to do... :D

You're right...the beta in which I'm gonna whoop your butt in.

emikochan
06-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Nice point about tournaments, getting some money flying around will do only good for the e-sports status of the game, I just hope it doesn't get counted as gambling etc in some countries - blizz have had their hands tied in certain countries before due to strange rules on competitions.

Hopefully a skill based competition will not fall into the same area.

Any speculation on the paid features ?

SlickR
06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't think Blizzard has the guts to do such a thing, it will alienate the fans and it will do more harm than good in the long run.
Keep subscription for MMO's

Crazy_Jonny
06-02-2009, 09:27 PM

I knew it all along. :rolleyes:

Gifted
06-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Yes, Battle.net will be free. And yes, there will be a "higher" form of battle.net that will cost money. Here's my take on it.

First, look at this example: http://station-access.station.sony.com/

For a single cost, you can play ANY of Sony's MMOs as long as you have the game. They have a SINGLE subscription fee for their games. They refer to it as "all-in-one subscription".

Blizzard has World of Warcraft, an unnamed IP and obviously plans to expand upon more MMOs, most likely WoW2 as they've admitted that they have a scope of 10 years for WoW to last. This means that at MINIMUM they have 3 different MMOs in the future. It's safe to say that they may copy something like this mentality of "all-in-one" subscriptions for them to stay competitive in the market. When you install WotLK you are REQUIRED to sign an agreement stating that your account will be required to be converted to a B.Net account down the line. Source: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.wow.com/media/2008/11/az_bnetaccount.jpg

The "pay for" version is going to be at least subscription based MMOs and could fall over to extra features to other games. Who knows if they do that or not at the beginning or add to it later. You can expect that it won't be anything outside of access levels. Maybe subscription only tournaments or something.

In jist, battle.net will be free and a portion of it will cost money. That portion may have NOTHING to do with Starcraft 2. That's my thoughts/opinions.

Posted that in http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360&page=2. It fits here too.