PDA

View Full Version : "Starcraft II by end of 2009", says Activision-Blizzard to GameSpot.

Alex06
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
"Activision Blizzard touches off E3 with a marathon investor call tipping hand on RTS date, PSP Guitar Hero, Call of Duty expanding to new genres, and new James Bond, Tony Hawk, Spider-Man, and Transformers in 2010."

And here's the article:

LOS ANGELES--Activision Blizzard hasn't been overly keen on cooperating with the Entertainment Software Association in recent years. With just a few months to go before the 2008 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Activision and its soon-to-be sibling Vivendi Games created a public stir by abruptly announcing they had departed the ESA and would be skipping its annual event--likely thanks to the industry trade body's 1,600 percent hike in membership dues between 2006 and 2008.

Of course, that didn't stop the publisher from cashing in on the massive amount of publicity associated with E3 2008. Just a short distance away from the site of E3 proper at the Los Angeles Convention Center, Activision held its own press junket, making high-profile game announcements for a new Wolfenstein and Singularity, both from Raven Software, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Fusion from Vicarious Visions.

In February, the ESA managed to partially bring Activision Blizzard back into the fold, with the megapublisher announcing that it would be exhibiting its wares in an official capacity at E3 2009, if not rejoining the trade association in full.

Still, Activision Blizzard continues to skirt around the ESA's timetable, opting to hold its de facto press conference via webcast on Sunday. The move eschews an E3 tradition that typically sees Microsoft kicking off the week's proceedings with its Monday morning press conference.

So what does Activision have in store? Modern Warfare 2 details? An official reveal for the next Call of Duty? Yet one more Guitar Hero to add to the stack? Time will soon tell, as Activision Blizzard executives take the line.

Source:
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210427/activision-blizzard-e3-2009-webcast-live

To be honest, I'm more keen on a Q1 2010 release, with at most a Q2 2010 release...2009 still seems a little early, especially considering we're going to hit beta in July. The game would have to be released on Christmas week...Which is not the best of ideas, TBH. Late November/Early December seems like a wiser choice. This means less than 5 months of beta testing. Beta would start mid-to-late July and end in late October or early November, leaving just about 4 months of beta testing.

This doesn't seem right. Blizzard ends a beta 1 month before the game releases. I remember with WarCraft 3...The beta was announced officially, they started taking beta applications 1 weeks later, and the beta started 2 weeks after that. Meaning we'll have to hear about beta in late June...which seems about right, perhaps. But then again, they have changed the whole beta application thing and are launching BNet 2.0...So I guess that seems possible.

Anyway, their schedule's pretty tight if they wanna get it out by the end of the year. And I have to say, Blizzard must be really prepared for this. For some reason, I was expecting BlizzCon 2009 to be the place where BNet 2.0 is revealed and everything about it is presented to us. All the new features, functions, etc.

Early 2010 seemed more believable. But then, they'll have to fight with C&C4 (I'm pretty sure that will be the next C&C game from what I heard, behind the scenes...) and SupCom 2, which are both likely going to be released around Q1-Q2 of next year. The former should also be announced soon enough (I'd even bet money on it being C&C4, but this is beside the point).

EDIT: Here's the shacknews article: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58877

ChaosSmurf
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
TBH, from the shacknews article on the same subject, it sounded to me like Mike was just going "Yeah, it'd be nice to release it this year, but if it isn't good we won't".

I don't know if they really have to worry about release dates - at this point it's a guaranteed success. Although, I guess if it looks like a post-Christmas-but-not-late-january release, they'll just leave the beta on and fine tune things for a 0 day patch.

FoxSpirit
05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
"We're targeting an end of year release--this year--for StarCraft 2," said Morhaime of the PC strategy title, "But as always, we won't release it until it meets our standards and the expectations of our players."

ArcherofAiur
05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Remember how many times they pushed back WC3.

Blazur
05-31-2009, 11:10 PM
There will be a Starcraft II beta test later this summer. Watch the start date of the beta coincide with BlizzCon.

Source (http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210427/starcraft-ii-by-end-of-2009-call-of-duty-expanding-to-new-genres?tag=top_stories;story;)

Pick
05-31-2009, 11:13 PM
No surprise, I think this is what we were all expecting. Still nice to hear an official source though.

Nicol Bolas
06-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Watch the start date of the beta coincide with BlizzCon.

That would make no sense. The people who would want to attend BlizzCon are exactly the people who would want to play the Beta. You'd be asking them to put off the Beta in favor of BlizzCon, and that's just not going to happen for some of them.

Noise
06-01-2009, 02:22 AM
When they say the end of this year, that means they will release it in 2014.

SupCom 2 eh? That's gonna be sweet.

Aldrius
06-01-2009, 02:42 AM
There will be a Starcraft II beta test later this summer. Watch the start date of the beta coincide with BlizzCon.

Ehh... doubtful it'll take that long.

They likely want to test the beta OVER the summer. Not... at the end of the summer.

They might not hit that target date, but looking at the trends, we'll could be seeing it very soon.

Or not...

Roobster
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I still believe it will be April 1st, 2010. Blizzard has not released a new game for many years and probably wants to make sure this one is absolutely perfect to show everyone that they still got "it", so it is a distinct possibility they will delay the game so that it will be as perfect as possible.

mr. peasant
06-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Perhaps but Activision will probably want to target the Christmas season. Not sure for games, but that's traditionally when most retail businesses make the bulk of their sales.

ManjiSanji
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Could you imagine the amount of sales they would generate by releasing the sequel to the greatest RTS of all time near Christmas?

I'd be amazed if they don't do it just because of that.

Alex06
06-03-2009, 12:12 AM
When they say the end of this year, that means they will release it in 2014.

SupCom 2 eh? That's gonna be sweet.
Don't confuse Blizzard's hopestimate with Valve Time. ;)
And yes, that's likely gonna be a good game.

warrior6
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
has blizzard ever released a really big game in the christmas season?

i remember them saying activision won't effect the development of sc2. but i knew it was a line of shit. activision can and will push blizzard into a christmas season release

Noise
06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
activision can and will push blizzard into a christmas season release
I actually doubt Blizzard will cave to Activision

Aldrius
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Activision has got nothing to do with Blizzard.

Blizzard is owned by Vivendi, and they have been for a long time. (Since before StarCraft at least.) If anyone has 'veto power' over Blizzard -- it's them, not Activision.

They'll release it at the Christmas season, if it's ready, they'll try really hard to make sure it's ready at that time, if it's not ready at that time, they'll hold off on it. The fact that they've waited to set anything concrete until this point is encouraging to me, though.

Wayward Meteor
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
As long as they start the beta within the next month or two it's completely reasonable for them to have SCII out by Christmas.

Alex06
06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
has blizzard ever released a really big game in the christmas season?

i remember them saying activision won't effect the development of sc2. but i knew it was a line of shit. activision can and will push blizzard into a christmas season release
No they won't. They have their separate games. They're just working together and managing their economy as one company, except when it comes to working on the actual game. Think of it as the perfect unison between two companies.

Oh, and Mike Morhaime is CEO of Blizzard, no? He said that, not someone from Activision. They said they'll be pushing for a late 2009 release, but only if they can. They won't rush the game or release it incompletely. If it's not done by then, they'll just continue to work on it. This is why I think the game will release more like in February of next year.