PDA

View Full Version : Nydus Worm is gone

Blazur
05-28-2009, 09:31 AM
At least in the current build, as reiterated in the latest German mag preview.

"They have removed the Nydus Worm. Now the network consist of the main building, which can place exits on creep."

Somehow deep down I always knew they wouldn't be able to get this thing to work. Such a shame too because it had such potential. Now we're back to the same old Nydus canals which were hardly used, and that's one more innovative feature pulled from the game.

Hopefully it makes it into an expansion, or they can find a way to make it fit during the beta.

Anybody feel like brainstorming on potential ways to make this unit work, or has that discussion already been exhausted?

flabortast
05-28-2009, 09:38 AM
You have to realize that Nydus Worms being Lair tech changes everything? Plus the ability of Overlords to dump creep anywhere really synergizes with this. Also the fact that the Nydus Network in SC2 acts as a universal entrance to all "worms" built from it? There no longer is a 1:1 entrance/exit ratio anymore. All you need is one drone. Also, this info was known before the german magazine printed it.

DemolitionSquid
05-28-2009, 09:46 AM
RIP my sweet worm.

Blazur
05-28-2009, 09:53 AM
You have to realize that Nydus Worms being Lair tech changes everything? Plus the ability of Overlords to dump creep anywhere really synergizes with this. Also the fact that the Nydus Network in SC2 acts as a universal entrance to all "worms" built from it? There no longer is a 1:1 entrance/exit ratio anymore. All you need is one drone. Also, this info was known before the german magazine printed it.

Well, I'm aware the worm is long gone. But I interpreted this as the entire worm mechanic and network being removed in favor of the old transport method. I could be assuming too much.

My understanding is unlimited units can be loaded into the original canal, and punched through any place where there is creep. A multitude of exists can be created for a cost, and provided the original canal and all entry points aren't destroyed the underground network remains intact. Hopefully that's still the case, and we're not back to the original 1:1 entry/exit point of the canal.

PsiWarp
05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Wait I don't get it, weren't the exits built from a Nydus Network named "Nydus Worm", we already know the mobile Nydus Worm was removed.

The last time we heard about it the Nydus Network spawns a Nydus Worm exit for 100 minerals, 10 seconds morph and must be placed on Creep, cargo 255, and all units can be loaded or unloaded from any Nydus Worm/Network.

-Psi

Aldrius
05-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I think this is just a re-iterating of what we've known for a long time.

There'd be no reason to nerf it in that way.

RainbowToeSocks
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Wheres the source? this is blazur we are talking about

DemolitionSquid
05-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Wheres the source? this is blazur we are talking about

There's no source. Its common knowledge there is no "worm," just exits that look like worms. My RIP is for the real, mobile worm, not for whatever Blazur is talking about because as you pointed out, he has 0 credibility.

Blazur
05-28-2009, 11:26 AM
My source: http://starcraft.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378

This is a translation of the latest German article.

DemolitionSquid
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
My source: http://starcraft.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378

This is a translation of the latest German article.

That's exactly what I said. Common knowledge.

n00bonicPlague
05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Looks like they are keeping the open network -- i.e. you can still enter anywhere to exit anywhere. However, this is now limited to the Nydus buildings themselves, so you can no longer do a creep drop and bust out a Nydus worm in the enemy territory. It's back to being a form of quick transportation between bases and expos, but without the 1:1 limit that the original SC1 Nydus Canal had.

For the sake of possible ideas, what would y'all think of using an Overseer to open the network in any place you please? The Overseer would fly to the place you designate and then "plant" itself into the ground (tentacles as "roots") using itself as the auxiliary exit/entrance. As a result, it would become a ground target. It could perhaps get an armor and/or HP boost, and it could be allowed to use its abilities even while planted. When done, you could "uproot" it, allowing it to resume its normal role.

This ability could pair well with the Overlord's ability to directly transport units.

Nicol Bolas
05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
At least in the current build, as reiterated in the latest German mag preview.

"They have removed the Nydus Worm. Now the network consist of the main building, which can place exits on creep."

Um, this is what the Nydus Worm has been for some time. You place the main building and it can place exits on Creep.

The most the German mag can say is that they dropped the name (and possibly the model).

flabortast
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
The Overseer already had the ability to summon the worm anywhere, but after some testing, Blizzard didn't think it worked well.

Zero
05-28-2009, 12:32 PM
The nydus worm was always a tricky thing to deal with. I remember playing the build after Zerg release and having fun watching the mobile nydus worm floating through the water barriers.

Personally, I thought the creep drop and planting a nydus worm on it was a good mechanic. Definitely adds a new method of movement to the Zerg. They do need something other than the overlord for transport.

SpiderBrigade
05-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Looks like they are keeping the open network -- i.e. you can still enter anywhere to exit anywhere. However, this is now limited to the Nydus buildings themselves, so you can no longer do a creep drop and bust out a Nydus worm in the enemy territory. It's back to being a form of quick transportation between basesYou can still do that. The building allows you to place down exits anywhere there is creep - you bring in an Overlord to drop creep, you can spawn an exit there.

n00bonicPlague
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
The Overseer already had the ability to summon the worm anywhere, but after some testing, Blizzard didn't think it worked well.I'm not talking about the Overseer summoning the Nydus Worm.

I'm talking about the Overseer being the Nydus Worm.

You can still do that. The building allows you to place down exits anywhere there is creep - you bring in an Overlord to drop creep, you can spawn an exit there.But even with the original Nydus Worm mechanic gone there was still a Nydus Worm model that acted as the exit. What I'm reading in this article is that even THAT is gone to, and that it is limited to Nydus Warrens ONLY -- no creep drops -- no auxiliary exits -- nothing but the buildings themselves.

n00bonicPlague
05-28-2009, 12:50 PM
double post -- sorry

Nicol Bolas
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
What I'm reading in this article is that even THAT is gone to

How are you reading that? The statement is "Now the network consist of the main building, which can place exits on creep"

n00bonicPlague
05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
How are you reading that? The statement is "Now the network consist of the main building, which can place exits on creep"It could go either way really, which is why I posted over at SC2GDF to be sure.

Blazur
05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
It could go either way really, which is why I posted over at SC2GDF to be sure.

Attaboy noobonic. I tried doing the same earlier today too. Hopefully we can get some clarification on the matter because it would suck if this mechanic got reduced to the old Nydus Canal of SC1.

Nicol Bolas
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
It could go either way really, which is why I posted over at SC2GDF to be sure.

I don't understand how you can parse that sentence and not understand that the Nydus Network building can place exits on the creep. I don't think there's a way using the rules of English Grammar to make that mean "I must build a Nydus Network at the destination that I want my units to go to."

MattII
05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
As others have said, this change is more aesthetic than functional. Still, losing the NWorm was a bit sad, it was such an innovative mechanic at the start.

Nicol Bolas
05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Still, losing the NWorm was a bit sad, it was such an innovative mechanic at the start.

I prefer to think of it as preserving the Worm idea for a possible later date. This way, they can just say that these are Nydus Canals, and maybe in the expansions add full-on Worms back in.

MattII
05-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I prefer to think of it as preserving the Worm idea for a possible later date. This way, they can just say that these are Nydus Canals, and maybe in the expansions add full-on Worms back in.

That would require reworking the mechanic between one installment and another, which is something I can't see them doing, no I think we've lost the possibility for the whole of SC2. Besides, if they couldn't balance it now how would they be able to balance it later?

PsiWarp
05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
They did say they plan to re-explore the potential of a mobile Nydus Worm in future expansions, they simply don't have the time to balance it for the Core Game.

-Psi

ManjiSanji
05-28-2009, 09:01 PM
/mourn Nydus Worm

One of the most interesting, fun, visually awesome ideas Blizzard has come up with.

I'm still convinced it could have worked. If they can balance Warp In, they could balance that, but oh well. Sometimes creative ideas change too much.

ArcherofAiur
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
They did say they plan to re-explore the potential of a mobile Nydus Worm in future expansions, they simply don't have the time to balance it for the Core Game.

-Psi

Where did they say this? That sounds extremly unblizzardy.

Kimera757
05-28-2009, 09:16 PM
This is old news, back from WWI 2008's art panel.

ArcherofAiur
05-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Do you have a source or link? I watched it and I dont remember any talk of this.

Kimera757
05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I do have a link. Unfortunately, it's kind of pointless as StarCraft Legacy's WWI pages are all dead.

Unless you have the art panel video on youtube or something...

There's plenty of info on how the "new" nydus worm works after it was taken away from the overseer.

ArcherofAiur
05-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I do have a link. Unfortunately, it's kind of pointless as StarCraft Legacy's WWI pages are all dead.

Unless you have the art panel video on youtube or something...

There's plenty of info on how the "new" nydus worm works after it was taken away from the overseer.

Yah I just wanted to see the part where they said they might bring back the old nydus worm in an expansion.

Gradius (if your around) do you know when/if the SCL WWI pages are coming back?

Kimera757
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Yah I just wanted to see the part where they said they might bring back the old nydus worm in an expansion.

Oh ... I didn't say that. I've never heard of that. (I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the map editor, since unused units would often be there, or in the campaign.)

I vaguely recall such a statement on the battle.net forums, but I didn't bother taking it down. I could be wrong though.

Gradius (if your around) do you know when/if the SCL WWI pages are coming back?

I also want to know.

ManjiSanji
05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
At the very least, it'd be neat to have an awesome, dramatic Nydus Worm swimming through the terrain on a campaign level. I hope they include that.

Kerriganz
05-30-2009, 08:11 AM
I wish he wasnt gone :(

Pandonetho
05-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Misleading title is misleading.