PDA

View Full Version : How should we go about with updates?

n00bonicPlague
05-27-2009, 06:23 PM
It's just that it's been a bit frustrating when a regular user would post something in the SC2GDF with many responses following, only to have it deleted/closed and completely reposted in the news section. I feel that having that done to "update threads" makes it look like a bad thing. Just imagine the new guy who comes in about to post an update, excited that he gets to post some news that nobody knows about, and then is crushed when that post gets deleted/closed. Not only is that a blow to a new member's e-esteem, but it is also confusing to see a fully relevant thread get deleted/closed along with spam.

I just think the current process is silly, compared to the simple process that went down on BF: regular user posts an update --> thread gets stickied. Can't we just do that? Or is there some bizarre method of conformity that y'all are trying to enforce? It's not like regular users can post new threads in the news section (limited to mods/admins) and it's not like the news section is the hub of discussion. Plus, regular users seem to be quicker on posting Q&A Batches and miscellaneous information from Dustin and Co. (bnet SC2GDF) while the mods/admins seem to be better for posting random info that is from outside sources.

I'm not angry at y'all personally -- just frustrated at the current method.

Dauntless
05-27-2009, 06:59 PM
The thing we would like to do is merge the two posts, leaving a direct link from the discussion forum to the news forum thread while keeping all the posts intact. Though we haven't been able to make it work correctly.

I understand your frustration, but keep in mind that we've just moved forums and got an entirely new site on our hands. We will of course try to keep uniformity, but right now alot of different things are being worked out.

n00bonicPlague
05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
The thing we would like to do is merge the two posts, leaving a direct link from the discussion forum to the news forum thread while keeping all the posts instact. Though we haven't been able to make it work correctly.So, y'all're (lolwut) trying to make a thread that exists on multiple forums?

yikes :eek:
I understand your frustration, but keep in mind that we've just moved forums and got an entirely new site on our hands. We will of course try to keep uniformity, but right now alot of different things are being worked out.I understand. My frustration was just sparked from posting in Q& Batch 51, leaving, coming back, and then finding the thread non-existent.

I was like "wtf?"

Also:
instactlol :D

Dauntless
05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
No, we're just trying to merge the two.

Anyway, the post you're refeering to was a thread that there were two topics on. Or actually, it was the first one up, but I accidentally deleted the first of the two topics. I left the other there as reference though. I'll try to improve :p

LordofAscension
05-27-2009, 11:59 PM
yeah - what dauntless said. We're working on a system that works. Bear with us.

:)

Suggestions are always appreciated.

~LoA

Perfecttear
05-28-2009, 06:56 AM
You should really change the way it works with updates, it is not pleasant when you lock threads, and i'm not talking about the last one.

This forum gives an impresion that it is not very suited for new members, that doesn't bother me since this is not my first forum, but scl lacks many featuress that would help it become a better site and help it grow.

What would i like to change:

- when i come into the forums, i would like the list of the last five threads and the last five posts, so i know instanly what is fresh and where people are debating.Maybe put a box under the forums with all this and not hide it away under that button.

-put a submit news forum, where people can submit news to scl but you cannot reply in that forum.So the scl staff can read it and decide which to put into the StarCraft News Updates forum.

-Don't lock threads in the StarCraft II Discussion forums that contain new news , since most people are in that forums and only a few go into the news forum, when you lock a thread you kill the debate. The first thing that i do when i enter the forums is look at the threads in the StarCraft II Discussion forums, and i almost never go into the news forum since i knew all of the news. So what i am suggesting is, when you see a new thread with news in the sdf, is that you copy the thread id into the scnews forum and edit the op post. So the 2 threads would work like mirrors, if you post in one thread the post appears in the other one and vice versa. I'm shure you can do that, if you don't know how, just ask people here, heck i even will help you if you dont know how to make a mirror thread.

This is not a rant post, i'm just giving some friendly suggestions to help improve the scl.

Thanks for reading.

Dauntless
05-28-2009, 08:22 AM
- when i come into the forums, i would like the list of the last five threads and the last five posts, so i know instanly what is fresh and where people are debating.Maybe put a box under the forums with all this and not hide it away under that button.

There is a button for last thread posted in beside each forum, not 5 though.
If you go to User CP, there's a list of all threads you've written in that got new posts, I use this feature all the time.

-put a submit news forum, where people can submit news to scl but you cannot reply in that forum.So the scl staff can read it and decide which to put into the StarCraft News Updates forum.

http://sclegacy.com/news-submit

-Don't lock threads in the StarCraft II Discussion forums that contain new news , since most people are in that forums and only a few go into the news forum, when you lock a thread you kill the debate. The first thing that i do when i enter the forums is look at the threads in the StarCraft II Discussion forums, and i almost never go into the news forum since i knew all of the news. So what i am suggesting is, when you see a new thread with news in the sdf, is that you copy the thread id into the scnews forum and edit the op post. So the 2 threads would work like mirrors, if you post in one thread the post appears in the other one and vice versa. I'm shure you can do that, if you don't know how, just ask people here, heck i even will help you if you dont know how to make a mirror thread.

This is what we've been trying to do actually, but the forum has been bugging.

I really wish people would actually check our Latest Headlines for news though.. can't be that hard.

This is not a rant post, i'm just giving some friendly suggestions to help improve the scl.

Thanks for reading.
We like friendly suggestions =)

n00bonicPlague
05-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Suggestions are always appreciated.*bangs head on table for dropping Comp. Sci. major*

LordofAscension
05-28-2009, 01:41 PM
You should really change the way it works with updates, it is not pleasant when you lock threads, and i'm not talking about the last one.

This forum gives an impresion that it is not very suited for new members, that doesn't bother me since this is not my first forum, but scl lacks many featuress that would help it become a better site and help it grow.

Why is that? We are very friendly and well suited for new members - it's not like we ban them when we lock a thread.

What would i like to change:

There is one of those.. on the mainsite... you know, the news portion of the site :p

The idea is that we want the discussion to continue in the thread in the news board. Just fyi but the news post threads are exact mirrors of the news we post on the front page - that's why we want to keep the discussion there because when driving people to our "comments" section of a news post it takes them to the news board. We're still trying to figure out a good way to do this. For now we ask that you just try and continue your discussion in the proper thread in the news board.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks!

~LoA

Gradius
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure what you're all complaining about with the thread locking. We haven't actually locked/moved a thread in like 3 weeks, and we've only done it like once. We've been leaving the posts alone and will continue doing so until we find something that works.

So, y'all're (lolwut) trying to make a thread that exists on multiple forums?
Ideally it would be a redirect (the arrow that points you to the correct thread). The problem is that VB merges threads chronologically, so that the news post a staff member makes ends up last in the topic instead of first.

Perfecttear
05-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure what you're all complaining about with the thread locking. We haven't actually locked/moved a thread in like 3 weeks, and we've only done it like once. We've been leaving the posts alone and will continue doing so until we find something that works.

Just this week 2 of my threads were locked, not that it matters.I'm shure you will find a way to make it better.

SOME SUGGESTIONS:

Im just wondering why, why the recent threads box is in the main site and not in the forum where it should belong.

You could also put a box with the Community Latest posts in the forum.
Here is a great example:
http://www.sc2armory.com/forums
This features would make the forum a much more greater experince.

Thanks for reading

LordofAscension
05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Just this week 2 of my threads were locked, not that it matters.I'm shure you will find a way to make it better.

SOME SUGGESTIONS:

Im just wondering why, why the recent threads box is in the main site and not in the forum where it should belong.

You could also put a box with the Community Latest posts in the forum.
Here is a great example:
http://www.sc2armory.com/forums
This features would make the forum a much more greater experince.

Thanks for reading

The recent threads box is on the mainsite to encourage mainly news oriented people to see a discussion going on and help motivate them to come check it out.

Implementing the latest posts stuff is on the list of things to do here.

~LoA

Gradius
05-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Aye. We're not doing it anymore, like I said. Only one of those was by me. :P

Blazur
05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Posting new and relevant news in the main SC2 sub-forum is pointless. It'll just get locked/deleted, and migrated to the homepage/main forum so the results show up in RSS. Don't bother until they figured out a mechanism for merging the threads.

It would be helpful if there was a 'suggest news' link somewhere on the site which sends the suggestion to all applicable parties, and it can get posted in the appropriate spot in a timely fashion.

Gradius
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Posting new and relevant news in the main SC2 sub-forum is pointless. It'll just get locked/deleted, and migrated to the homepage/main forum so the results show up in RSS. Don't bother until they figured out a mechanism for merging the threads.
Have you read any of my posts? We're ignoring posts in that forum until we can find a nice VB merge feature.

Blazur
05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Have you read any of my posts? We're ignoring posts in that forum until we can find a nice VB merge feature.

I read it, and still felt the need to comment. We're still ending up with 2 discussions in 2 sub forums which isn't the most ideal situation.

Is it possible to post an article on the main page which shows up in RSS, and then optionally associate the comments of an arbitrary thread to that article? So if its a new discussion the thread shows up on homepage and main subforum. But if somebody posts relevant news early and a discussion has taken place, you can simply post the new news to the homepage and associate that thread with that article.

Gradius
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
We could link to the original thread and just move it to the news forum, but we'd have to edit some random person's OP & it wouldn't be very graceful/professional at all. :/

LordofAscension
05-29-2009, 09:58 PM
It would be helpful if there was a 'suggest news' link somewhere on the site which sends the suggestion to all applicable parties, and it can get posted in the appropriate spot in a timely fashion.

There is one. Look at the mainpage in the bottom left of the header...

~LoA