PDA

View Full Version : SC2 Beta Will Include Map Editor

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/chinese-blizzard-fansite-summit-update-map-editor-confirmed/

Awesome news! Maybe we can make and play some maps while we wait for those of us who don't get into the beta :D If that happens then along with beta videos it'll be just like playing the full game to me but Blizzard gets more time to make it perfect. Sounds good to me :D

Blazur
05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Fantabulous news! Nice to see Blizz finally revealing some of the logistics of the beta. What are the chances the map editor will have some hybrid or Xel'Naga units? Highly unlikely I'm sure...but still possible.

*Excitement overwhelming*

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I'd say they'd remove any units that would spoil the story. If we knew what the Hybrid and the Xel'Naga looked like before seeing them in the campaign then that would destroy a lot of what's so exciting about this sequel.

Aldrius
05-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Besides the fact that I doubt we'll be seeing the Xel'Naga or hybrids in WoL (certainly not in-game, maybe in cutscenes), the models are probably not done.

I wonder how many features will be included.

Noise
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Holy shit

Perfecttear
05-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Does anybody dought the reliability of the source? I mean alot of info has alredy been denounced.

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Does anybody dought the reliability of the source? I mean alot of info has alredy been denounced.

Where exactly?

LordofAscension
05-26-2009, 01:30 PM

What's the source for scwire's post?

~LoA

Dauntless
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
LoA: http://www.sc2c.com/thread-7404-1-1.html

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 01:32 PM
A fan site manager that when to a Chinese fan site summit. There, they spoke directly with Blizzard and were given this information ... alledgedly.

Since this isn't from StarCraftWire.net, I'll there's no legitimate reason to doubt this information just yet.

Perfecttear
05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Read the whole news at starcraftwire. The information regarding the map editor has been proven wrong.

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Of course, this could just be that different offices have received different orders from Blizzard HQ. With the Chinese reps promising a Map Editor, and giving details about it, it's probably VERY LIKELY that the editor will be included. However, I take the words of Xordiah over a semi-anonymous Chinese rep any day of the week, so "no promises" yet!

Blizzard does this all the time. They never set themselves up by promising something. Any Blizzard fan should know this.

DemolitionSquid
05-26-2009, 02:38 PM
It would be logical for them to include a simplified editor. By letting people create their own maps they get to see greater trends in map creation that may cause imbalances (ex. Zerg get easier LoS) as well as to test bugs and get feedback on features map makers like/don't like and will want in the future.

Triceron
05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Proved wrong or not, it's not out of the question that the Map Editor be packed with the beta.

It would certainly help build hype to see and play with the editor before the game's actually released.

Now if only they'd release more info on possible Art Tools...

Alex06
05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Hehe, just what I was going to ask for on the BNet forums later today - Including the map editor with the beta. This means we can make our own maps and play them in the beta! We can have limitless amounts of maps in a beta! How awesome is that?

Rizhall
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm having a hard time believing this is a true source because of this one line:

+9800GT and the like will be required in order to set the graphics to medium.

I mean I'm running on an 8800GT, which can run Crysis on high settings, and SC2 will need a 9800GT just for medium? I don't buy that...

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm having a hard time believing this is a true source because of this one line:

I mean I'm running on an 8800GT, which can run Crysis on high settings, and SC2 will need a 9800GT just for medium? I don't buy that...

I really wish people would read.

Whanhee
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Perhaps they can have the map editor on open beta on top of the closed beta for the game? Just to let map makers get a feel for the new editor and to allow for a larger map pool for beta. I know that if I get beta, map editor is one of the last thing I'll be messing with :P

Rizhall
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I really wish people would read.

I read it. I read the part about the possible misunderstanding, but it still implies that you'll need some crazy hardware to run high settings. That's pretty unreal, by implying the game could potentially be more intensive than something like Crysis.

I'm having a hard time believing it, that doesn't mean I think it's fake.
... I'll just shut up now.

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Read about the part that it's a beta. A beta is highly unoptimized and is going to run like crap compared to the final version. The minimum supported graphics card is a FX 5200 for **** sake. That's less than a Geforce 440 which is less than a high-end GeForce 3.

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
So, I finally took the time to read the actual Chinese site and it says nothing about a 9800GT. It only says that the low-end of the configuration will run on very low PCs and the high-end configuration will need very powerful PCs.

Wow ... Way to fail, StarCraftWire.net. I believed the source because you had nothing to do with it but still you messed it up by misquoting.

DemolitionSquid
05-26-2009, 06:46 PM
StarCraftWire is like watching that part in LotR:RotK where Gollum is sinking into the magma while gripping the ring.

TheEconomist
05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
So, I finally took the time to read the actual Chinese site and it says nothing about a 9800GT. It only says that the low-end of the configuration will run on very low PCs and the high-end configuration will need very powerful PCs.

Wow ... Way to fail, StarCraftWire.net. I believed the source because you had nothing to do with it but still you messed it up by misquoting.

Wow, I can't believe I accidentally posted that in this topic!

Rizhall
05-27-2009, 01:37 AM
A fan site manager that when to a Chinese fan site summit. There, they spoke directly with Blizzard and were given this information ... alledgedly.

Since this isn't from StarCraftWire.net, I'll there's no legitimate reason to doubt this information just yet.

I guess it just sounded like 9800GT was what they expected from the final product to me. The way they worded it, and then saying that Blizz reps confirmed it instead of giving the usual "all things are subject to change" deal gave me the impression that it's what they had in mind for the final.

But go figure, SCWire messes it up again.

TheEconomist
05-27-2009, 07:54 AM
http://starfeeder.gameriot.com/blogs/The-Starfeed/Map-Editor-news-False-Also-new-SC2-Death-animations

LordofAscension
05-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I received an email today from Blizzard saying that this news article is 100% untrue and is pure speculation. Additionally, they asked us not to report on this news as it is a rumor.

Wow. IMO scwire is now a really bad news website - they have reported on more rumors that who knows what. Where is the professionalism? Where is the quality? Pathetic.

~LoA

TheEconomist
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
What's funny is that I believed this news source because I had thought that SCW.net had NOTHING to do with it. Boy, was I mistaken!

LordofAscension
05-27-2009, 02:44 PM
What do you mean? StarCraftWire is the incgamers site. It's what you linked to in the OP..

~LoA

TheEconomist
05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
What do you mean? StarCraftWire is the incgamers site. It's what you linked to in the OP..

~LoA

The information came from the Chinese site and that site was the one making all the claims and putting their credibility on the line. SCW.net was just bringing that news to the English audience.

Anyways, the new Q&A batch confirmed the map editor will be in the beta..... So, I guess Blizzard lied to us.

Blazur
05-27-2009, 08:49 PM
SCWire posts everything related to SC2...be it fact or rumor. While this tendency of theirs puts dents in their credibility, they're still the fastest fansite to upload relevant news and thus far has given away the most prized to their community.

TheEconomist
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
It also provides me with entertainment. For most sites, I go for several days or weeks at a time looking at the same damn news article. But, with SCW.net, I've got something new to read almost every time I check it. It's a blessing AND a curse.

Blazur
05-27-2009, 09:13 PM
It also provides me with entertainment. For most sites, I go for several days or weeks at a time looking at the same damn news article. But, with SCW.net, I've got something new to read almost every time I check it. It's a blessing AND a curse.

Indeed...I'll take anything over silence. Even if it is false hopes. In my daily obsessing over my most anticipated game SCWire helps pass the boredom and give us all something to discuss.

LordofAscension
05-28-2009, 12:42 AM
SCWire posts everything related to SC2...be it fact or rumor. While this tendency of theirs puts dents in their credibility, they're still the fastest fansite to upload relevant news and thus far has given away the most prized to their community.

They're also the only for-profit site. That is actually funded.

Haha - you could be creating content for the community.

The information came from the Chinese site and that site was the one making all the claims and putting their credibility on the line. SCW.net was just bringing that news to the English audience.

Anyways, the new Q&A batch confirmed the map editor will be in the beta..... So, I guess Blizzard lied to us.

I think the confusion is over when it would be included.

Indeed...I'll take anything over silence. Even if it is false hopes. In my daily obsessing over my most anticipated game SCWire helps pass the boredom and give us all something to discuss.

Well that's interesting... But I don't feel they actually help the community by posting false info how can anyone respect them as journalists at all? Where is the quality? A bit of professionalism? :/

~LoA

mgcemir
05-28-2009, 08:11 AM
remember that rumor that blazur did a while back, saying beta in march? when i first saw it i believed it and i was like oh man in march?? thats a loong time. damn i wish that was true.
anyway, its kinda lame imo that karune first says its 100% speculation then 24h basicly confirms everything they speculated.

TheEconomist
05-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Who cares about professionalism and journalism? Do you think StarCraft fans read news sites with that in mind? NO! We read StarCraft 2 news to help pass the time and SCW.net helps us by giving us things to talk about.